New Library!! (1 Viewer)

Odyssey2001

HSC
LOL never thought I would miss the old library - they should really leave it open as a study space :(
Only 2 weeks in and we're already reminiscing about the good old library XD, at least I finish at the end of this semester and won't have to worry about it anymore ^^ But I totally agree they should open the old one during exams because the new library will be crazy, people will be saving desks (by putting books/papers on them !!!!!!!) days in advance XD

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Does anyone else think they really screwed up Reserve? 2 photocopiers for both printing and photocopying? With only 3 laptops to print from?? There always used to be a 10 minute wait for a photocopier during assessment period when there were 3... I have feeling people will start borrowing books so they can take them out of reserve and photocopy elsewhere, which means it'll take ages for them to be re-shelved for the next person =s

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
^pretty sure theres heaps photocopiers adn printing stations besides reserves. Luck for my course plenty of textbooks in reserves, but i know what you mean for some units when reserves only has 1 book.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yeah, but if you want to photocopy reserve books and there's a massive wait you'd have to borrow them to take them to those other photocopiers, then they would take ages to get re-shelved for someone else. I dunno, they seem to have down-sized Reserve pretty significantly and to me it doesn't make sense considering how busy it used to get in the old library.

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Does anyone else think they really screwed up Reserve? 2 photocopiers for both printing and photocopying? With only 3 laptops to print from?? There always used to be a 10 minute wait for a photocopier during assessment period when there were 3... I have feeling people will start borrowing books so they can take them out of reserve and photocopy elsewhere, which means it'll take ages for them to be re-shelved for the next person =s
Totally agree, I was disappointed with how few photocopiers and printing stations there were, I expected more. The old reserve had 3...

Begbie4017

HSC
I dont love the new library. I miss the old one ..Open plan offices tend to suck and I dont think open plan libraries are any better. There are no quiet places . I noticed several people with ear plugs in to study..which is crazy..
Word of warning: In the post grad room (the only quiet place)the printer sitting next to the coimputer is not hooked up to the network. The librarians had no idea where the article i printed went (had to go down to Level 2 to even find a librarian) and they printed me a copy down there...wish they would open up the old library for quiet study :(

Begbie4017

HSC
oh & I have been at mac for 5 years and I looked like a total noob trying to figure out where my book was when I requested it. I stupidly requested a reference book to take home ...even more noob !!

Atlas

HSC
N/A
wish they would open up the old library for quiet study :(
It's frustrating because the old library still has lights on ... why can't they just open it up, it's currently just good space being wasted.

Politic

HSC
N/A
so are you actually able to study in the library?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
It's frustrating because the old library still has lights on ... why can't they just open it up, it's currently just good space being wasted.
This would be amazing. You might actually be able to find a spot.

Begbie4017

HSC
I think students really need to give feedback that the library needs quiet areas or quiet floors.

If there were quiet areas or floors then I think the new library would be really great.
It would be even better if they opened up the old library for study space.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
As a possible future student should I be concerned?
So long as you have no worries perceiving a 'reserved' spot (ie. put down a piece of paper and a pen then went and had lunch for 5 hours) and kicking sleeping people off the desks you'll be fine

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
As a possible future student should I be concerned?
Nope. This is a problem that is common at all universities to be honest.

It depends on what time you get in there too. Don't expect to find a spot close to exams or at certain hours of the day for example.

If I'm going to study in the library I try and get in earlier in the morning so I can find somewhere to sit. :)

Politic

HSC
N/A
So long as you have no worries perceiving a 'reserved' spot (ie. put down a piece of paper and a pen then went and had lunch for 5 hours) and kicking sleeping people off the desks you'll be fine
Sarcasm? It was a serious question....

Nope. This is a problem that is common at all universities to be honest.

It depends on what time you get in there too. Don't expect to find a spot close to exams or at certain hours of the day for example.

If I'm going to study in the library I try and get in earlier in the morning so I can find somewhere to sit. :)
And finding a spot was just as difficult with the old library?

Also so your saying that USYD, UNSW and others experience this problem to similar degrees?

I think students really need to give feedback that the library needs quiet areas or quiet floors.

If there were quiet areas or floors then I think the new library would be really great.
It would be even better if they opened up the old library for study space.
I agree. Would current MAQ students please voice their concerns to the right people... if not for yourself - for the future students. :) Please and thankyou.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Sarcasm? It was a serious question....
I was being serious, you are pretty much guaranteed a seat in the library if you have no worries with kicking bludgers off their desks. There's a tendency for people to put down a couple of things to 'reserve' a desk then leave and not come back for hours. People are actually not allowed to do this and you are completely within your rights to dump their things on the floor and take the desk yourself, it's just knowing the difference between a desk that's been vacated for hours and one where someone has just gone to the bathrooms. I also kick sleeping people off their desks, with all the new couches and cushy chairs downstairs there's no excuse for people to be sleeping in study spaces.

Last edited:

Politic

HSC
N/A
I was being serious, you are pretty much guaranteed a seat in the library if you have no worries with kicking bludgers off their desks. There's a tendency for people to put down a couple of things to 'reserve' a desk then leave and not come back for hours. People are actually not allowed to do this and you are completely within your rights to dump their things on the floor and take the desk yourself, it's just knowing the difference between a desk that's been vacated for hours and one where someone has just gone to the bathrooms. I also kick sleeping people off their desks, with all the new couches and cushy chairs downstairs there's no excuse for people to be sleeping in study spaces.
Fair enough. It would be awkward if someone only went to the bathroom but otherwise I would agree in taking the spot.

izzy88

HSC
And finding a spot was just as difficult with the old library?

Also so your saying that USYD, UNSW and others experience this problem to similar degrees?
jumping into MQ thread. Most uni's have problems with getting a spot in a library...although it can really depend on which library you are trying to find a spot in, and whether you need a computer or a powerpoint. eg. new USYD Law library - i don't even bother going to anymore - unless you get there at 8 or 9am there's no way you'll get any kind of seat (powerpoint or not). My sister had to sit on the floor to read reserve books the other day... law library went with looking 'cool' rather than practical...no where near enough seats/tables, especially considering the large numbers of non-law students that go there :( I'm fine with other faculties using the library, but when there isn't enough room for law students when they need to read law books that are in reserve (ie can't be borrowed), that is extremely frustrating.

Saying that, at Fisher (arts/general library) you can generally find a spot to sit as long as you are not being picky regarding powerpoints... (it is being redeveloped this year to have more powerpoints, but i doubt it will equal one per chair).

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You can tell the difference though, if a desk is covered in stuff, books, papers, laptop, food etc, they probably just went off for 10-15 minutes. An empty bag and a single book (usually pulled off the shelf next to the desk) with a pen in it usually means they won't be back for hours. I've seen spots like that stay vacated for upwards for 5 hours

Politic

HSC
N/A
You can tell the difference though, if a desk is covered in stuff, books, papers, laptop, food etc, they probably just went off for 10-15 minutes. An empty bag and a single book (usually pulled off the shelf next to the desk) with a pen in it usually means they won't be back for hours. I've seen spots like that stay vacated for upwards for 5 hours
Well I guess the way to solve it is spread the word.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)