nexttttt (1 Viewer)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
dolbinau said:
If hypothetically our 8 marker is about vaccinations. Would we talk about how it actually works? (With T/B memory cells etc..), Boosters, Pasteur's contribution (Anthrax) etc..?

I just don't want to over do it and actually answer the question.
i would bring in active, passive vaccinations and evaluate them (if it relates to the questions ofcourse) I would talk about T/B cells when talking about active immunisation. I would credit Pasteur/Koch for their isolation of Bacillus Anthracis. Then i may bring in modern examples, eg. Small Pox has been eradicated

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yeah. For anything to do with vaccinations I think you would have to open with how they work and talk about the whole immune respones. There was an 8 mark vaccination qu in the 05 paper, and they gave you two pages to write your response, so youd have plenty of room to outline what a vaccination is at the begining.

Plus, theyd probably expect you to do so for 8 marks

I dont know if youd have to talks about pasteurs contribution though. I think youd just apply the process of vaccinating to whatever they disease they tell you to relate it to

dolbinau

HSC
Good idea. Can you think of some other 8 mark style questions?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Id say theyd be on:

Vaccinations
Quarantine
Reproductive technologies (Artificial selection, pollination and cloning)

anyone else got any ideas

B

bekmay

hey guuys.

oki so perhaps vaccinations will be in the paper this year... what other questions are we expecting?
who does genetics for the option??

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Takuto said:
Designing epidemiological study?

Designing experiment?
Yeah.. those too

I hope its not an experiment. I hate designing experiments

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
Id say theyd be on:

Vaccinations
Quarantine
Reproductive technologies (Artificial selection, pollination and cloning)

anyone else got any ideas
Perhaps one on the collaboration of ideas of Franklin, Wilkins and Watson & Crick on establishing the current accepted model of DNA.

Could be planning some sort of first-hand investigation, where we would have to include the following to get full marks (Or close to):
-Aim
-Equipment
-Risk assessment
-Method
-Variables
-Validity
-Reliability
-Discussion

Something on Koch and Pasteur.

Theory of evolution - Darwin and wallace - I would hate this kind of question lol.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And the impact of vaccinations on communities and the economy.

boony3

HSC
why is the removal of carbon dioxide from living cells important ??

dolbinau

HSC
Maintain constant environment for optimum metabolic efficiency. (Carbon Dioxide changes pH of blood; enzymes become less efficient and may denature if Carbon Dioxide levels are too high)

dolbinau

HSC
danz90 said:
Perhaps one on the collaboration of ideas of Franklin, Wilkins and Watson & Crick on establishing the current accepted model of DNA.

Could be planning some sort of first-hand investigation, where we would have to include the following to get full marks (Or close to):
-Aim
-Equipment
-Risk assessment
-Method
-Variables
-Validity
-Reliability
-Discussion

Something on Koch and Pasteur.

Theory of evolution - Darwin and wallace - I would hate this kind of question lol.
An 8 mark question on either Darwin, Malaria or Franklin/Wilkins/Watson/Crick would be absolute torture. Especially the last ones (how much detail can we go in, really? for 8 marks?)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
eww...designing experiments:uhoh:

ive been looking through the questions in the past papers
hsc success one textbook is very good!

alot of the same questions have been popping up constantly
i suggest everyone to go over:
the work of all the major figures: mendel, pasteur+koch, beadle+tatum, watson+crick, sutton+boveri, darwin+wallace
xylem/phloem
nephrons+kidney stuff
blood+ artificial blood
adh+aldosterone
antibiotics
vaccinations
meiosis/mitosis
all the quarantine stuff
immune system
know your pathogen types

for communication option topic i think you pretty much just have to know everything lol

^^^^ These are just some of the main stuff that i found that have been popping up alot.

I suggest you go over this stuff, but make sure you cover all dot points so you will not likely get a 'wtf question' =)

btw i posted like, two questions so far somewhere of the dot points im unsure about. can somebody help me? lol

dolbinau

HSC
Polymerase. Is this the enzyme that pairs the bases in DNA replication/protein synthesis (or what is its function in these processes?)

for communication option topic i think you pretty much just have to know everything lol
*necks*. How much do we usually have to know on nerves? Label a diagram or just general function?

B

bekmay

boony3 said:
why is the removal of carbon dioxide from living cells important ??
The accumulation of carbon dioxide in cellular respiration is damaging to the body's chemistry. For example, an increase in carbon dioxide means that the pH lowers, which in turn affects the binding capacity of oxygen molecules to haemoglobin. As the transport of oxygen to body cells and tissues is crucial to the overall function of the organism, the removal of carbon dioxide at the removal site (alveoli of the lungs) is essential.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Here are the questions i dont get. Someone help me pretty please? :p

'process information to construct a flow chart that shows that changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity'

'process information from secondary sources to construct a model that demonstrates meiosis and the processes of crossing over, segregation of chromosomes and the production of haploid gametes.'
( does it mean actual physical model we did... i remember we did one with pipeclearners. Or does it mean just draw the stages?)

from Blueprint of Life topic.

and here is my protein synthesis summary post

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=188323

Takuto

HSC
Q: What are photoreceptors, and what role do they play in detecting stimuli?

(Communication Option Topic btw :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)