nexttttt (1 Viewer)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
imqt said:
oh ok thanks 4 clearing some things up....and DNA REPLICATION occurs in the nucleus, while PROTEIN SYNTHESIS occurs in ribosomes?
Yes, DNA replication occurs in the nucleus.

Protein synthesis consists of two steps - transcription and translation.
The first step, transcription occurs in the nucleus where DNA transcribes its code to a sequence of bases in mRNA.
The second step, translation occurs in the cytoplasm, where a ribosome moves along the mRNA and specific amino acids are delivered by tRNA molecules to produce a polypeptid

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
oh ok thanks 4 clearing some things up....and DNA REPLICATION occurs in the nucleus, while PROTEIN SYNTHESIS occurs in ribosomes?
Protein synthesis occurs in the cytoplasm, with the mRNA being attached to the ribosome

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
midifile said:
Yes, DNA replication occurs in the nucleus.

Protein synthesis consists of two steps - transcription and translation.
The first step, transcription occurs in the nucleus where DNA transcribes its code to a sequence of bases in mRNA.
The second step, translation occurs in the cytoplasm, where a ribosome moves along the mRNA and specific amino acids are delivered by tRNA molecules to produce a polypeptid

cheers :D

AvieT

HSC
N/A
nasralla said:
pleasee help... Social and political influences on theories of evolution???
guys dont hesitate to ask me anything ive done my far share of study..

• darwin didnt want to publish his theory for fear that people wouldnt accept it, and for prosecution from the Curch.
  • when he did publish his theories, he was critisied- some believe that he was the reason for marx-ism, athesim, though it did revolutionise scientific thinking, and lead to furthur investigation- thats all i can remember.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
What are some advantages and disadvantages of using a model?

lil-monkey

HSC
nasralla said:
pleasee help... Social and political influences on theories of evolution???
guys dont hesitate to ask me anything ive done my far share of study..
western societies were governed by religious institutions that controlle politics and the way people viewed nature.
due to that fact many people, like Charles Darwin, who beleived in evolution did not want their views shown publically as they would be looked down on by society.

with Charles Darwin (i think this is correct) he did not want to publish his book until years later, however when Wallace showed Dawrin his manuscript (as he wanted Darwins views on the matter) Darwin decided to publish his in order to gain the agnoligment of the theory. as he also spoke abbout natural selection.

from publishing his book on evolution Darwin was put down as people did not want to hear that they came from the same ancestors as monkeys. for the church's theory of "created in Gods images" sounded better :p

Last edited:

AvieT

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
  • advantages are that you can vusialise the internal process, that normally would be impossible to see with the naked eye.
  • disadvantages are that they may not be too accurate.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
More on models

Advantage: Models can also collapse time - ie evoluation takes thousands/sometimes millions of years so normally you would not be able to see it happen
Disadvantage: Some models are not working models and do not show functions. Ie a drawing of DNA cannot show its functions (replication and controlling polypeptide synthesis)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
here is a question kind of relating to this question from the 2003 paper qu 25

'You have carried out first-hand investigations that have attempted to model biological concepts.
Discuss the use and limitations of models when illustrating biological concepts.'

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
im still a bit iffy on transgenic species, reproductive technologies, processes and all that jazz. =(

boony3

HSC
gloworm14 said:
im still a bit iffy on transgenic species, reproductive technologies, processes and all that jazz. =(
im the same, funny that you mention it coz i was just looking at my notes at came across transgenic species and then came on here to find out bout it and the first thing i saw was your thing asking bout it, weird huh

nasralla

HSC
lil-monkey said:
western societies were governed by religious institutions that controlle politics and the way people viewed nature.
due to that fact many people, like Charles Darwin, who beleived in evolution did not want their views shown publically as they would be looked down on by society.

with Charles Darwin (i think this is correct) he did not want to publish his book until years later, however when Wallace showed Dawrin his manuscript (as he wanted Darwins views on the matter) Darwin decided to publish his in order to gain the agnoligment of the theory. as he also spoke abbout natural selection.

from publishing his book on evolution Darwin was put down as people did not want to hear that they came from the same ancestors as monkeys. for the church's theory of "created in Gods images" sounded better :p
this is all good.. but THEORIES is my concern.. lets just pray that if it comes up its a 3 marker or somthing weak like that.. thank you.

dolbinau

HSC
These are my completed notes for historical development:

500 BC – Xenophanes studies fossils suggested evolution
350 BC – Aristotle epigenetic model evolution using marine animals
1700s – Linneaus proposed classification systems suggested evolution though god
late 18th century – Charles Darwin’s grandfather – common ancestor
early 19th century – Lamarck ‘use it or lose it’ concept
mid-late 19th – Darwin published origin of species

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
boony3 said:
im the same, funny that you mention it coz i was just looking at my notes at came across transgenic species and then came on here to find out bout it and the first thing i saw was your thing asking bout it, weird huh
im good at timing things.
ahhhhhh i think im just gonna learn the plant cutting and grafting method of cloning. it seems much easier than the animal one.

if a transgenic species question arises i think im gonna use the salmon with bovine growth hormone example and the salmon gene in strawberries. i like salmon.

danz90

HSC
can anyone help out with:

assess social and political influences on evolutionary theory.

AvieT

HSC
N/A
gloworm14 said:

transgenic species is bascially taking a gene from one organism, and putting it into another organism. for example COLD-STRAWBERRIES. These strawberries have a gene from a salmon- the gene is that is can cope better in cold conditions. what scientists have done is isolate the gene," cutting" it out of its DNA strand, and then "sticking" it onto the other DNA strand- this means that they took out the cold gene, and inserted it into the srarberry. ( i think thats right, i didnt use allota techniqual terms) thats just transgenic though. i think reproductive technologies might be things like cloning.

lil-monkey

HSC
nasralla said:
this is all good.. but THEORIES is my concern.. lets just pray that if it comes up its a 3 marker or somthing weak like that.. thank you.
sorry my bad.
yea i hope that too because i havnt really done that in class.
but i think all you could really say is that due to social and political view towards the church, they were bias against the theories put forth. and discredited the scientist in an attempt to not get the views/theories heard and accepted by others.

???

Last edited:

- L -

HSC
explain why biochemical differences between species such as amino acid differences are thought to reflect evolutionary relationships 3 marker

Takuto

HSC
sup guys

whos staying up to cram? im gonna pull an allnighter, havent touched communications lol

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
i covered all the syllabus points but i feel like theres always something i have to work on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)