Ngyuen = hero ? (1 Viewer)

lawforever

HSC
I really can't admire the media any further. A drug criminals has now been described to be like an Australian hero.

The terms "execute"/ "kill" have now been replaced by "murder".

Rorix

HSC
Does anyone really admire the media?

You see the same 50 photographers desperate to get the money shot of his family greiving before the execution...because that photo is SO ESSENTIAL to the story and all.

Sure, the media is necessary, but when you watch guys desperately pounding away at press conferences asking loaded questions hoping for a slip of the tounge etc...

chickaaaa

HSC
lawforever said:
I really can't admire the media any further. A drug criminals has now been described to be like an Australian hero.

I don't think that I have ever heard any source of media describe Nguyen as a 'hero', and to be honest, if I did, it'd make me sick. The word 'hero' is thrown around way too much these days... I can't stand it when sportspeople are referred to as heroes simply because they break a world record or something akin to that. However, that isn't the point. Even though he is far from being a hero, I strongly believe that execution was inappropriate. I think that execution punishes the family of the person at hand, instead of the actual person. I mean, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it feels like to be facing death, but once it happens, it's all over for that person. Then it's left to the family to deal with the loss. Imprisonment would be a much more suitable option.
I think that most Australians also believe this, and that is why the situation has been described as 'murder' instead of 'execution'. Would it really be right to remain objective about such an issue as capital punishment? It's highly controversial issue, and like it or not, the media will always have some sort of bias.

lawforever

HSC
chickaaaa said:
I don't think that I have ever heard any source of media describe Nguyen as a 'hero', and to be honest, if I did, it'd make me sick. The word 'hero' is thrown around way too much these days... I can't stand it when sportspeople are referred to as heroes simply because they break a world record or something akin to that. However, that isn't the point. Even though he is far from being a hero, I strongly believe that execution was inappropriate. I think that execution punishes the family of the person at hand, instead of the actual person. I mean, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it feels like to be facing death, but once it happens, it's all over for that person. Then it's left to the family to deal with the loss. Imprisonment would be a much more suitable option.
I think that most Australians also believe this, and that is why the situation has been described as 'murder' instead of 'execution'. Would it really be right to remain objective about such an issue as capital punishment? It's highly controversial issue, and like it or not, the media will always have some sort of bias.
well whether the sentence is suitable should depend on singaporean legislation instead of only half of the australian's point of views. do you agree that?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah it shits me how sports legends are heros
whoop de doo they kicked a ball into a net 10 times in one game
lets cherish them forever and hang them on our walls
that is all

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
lawforever said:
well whether the sentence is suitable should depend on singaporean legislation instead of only half of the australian's point of views. do you agree that?
i cannot agree with that because only a fool bases their morals on the particular country or area in question.
either completly agree with execution everywhere, or dissagree, dont make up bullshit excuses like "its their country and their laws" morals gvie us a way to judge a system more universally, the location of where the crime occurs should not be an issue... hence Singapoor laws should not be treated with respect... and if u are going to go on about laws and shit, the Universal law says no execution... look it up buddy, the UN bans it.

lawforever

HSC
Serius said:
i cannot agree with that because only a fool bases their morals on the particular country or area in question.
either completly agree with execution everywhere, or dissagree, dont make up bullshit excuses like "its their country and their laws" morals gvie us a way to judge a system more universally, the location of where the crime occurs should not be an issue... hence Singapoor laws should not be treated with respect... and if u are going to go on about laws and shit, the Universal law says no execution... look it up buddy, the UN bans it.
so according to your logic we can all go overseas with cocaine and be charged under Australian laws which are much lighter than others because the location should not be an issue.

Also there is no universal law in this world btw. Only a fool believes that a country should act in complete accordance with UN legislation (plus I haven't checked whether UN really bans it or not but it doesn't seem to be the fact since death penalty is still widely accepted in the majority of the world)

Oh one more important highlight from your view: Singpapore laws should not be treated with respect.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
soha said:
yeah it shits me how sports legends are heros
whoop de doo they kicked a ball into a net 10 times in one game
lets cherish them forever and hang them on our walls
that is all
thats cause you dont follow sport. lets think muhammad. wow hero hero hero.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
SashatheMan said:
thats cause you dont follow sport. lets think muhammad. wow hero hero hero.
excuse me i do follow sport
i just dont idolise or look up to or refer to a certain sports person as my hero
because they havent done anything for humanity...apart from win a game
i happen to enjoy many sports..i go to football and basket ball matches..ive been to the cricket games..i used to play sports
but they are not heros..they are just talented people who entertain us and are good at what they do

HSC
What about the dickhead lawyer in Melbourne who said that it was worse to execute Nguyen, then it was 50+ Australian P.O.W's by the japanese 60 years ago. Wanker.

Some Australians have just gotten carried away. He was a DRUG pusher. For gods sake! He wasn't our national ICON or anything.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
lawforever said:
so according to your logic we can all go overseas with cocaine and be charged under Australian laws which are much lighter than others because the location should not be an issue.

Also there is no universal law in this world btw. Only a fool believes that a country should act in complete accordance with UN legislation (plus I haven't checked whether UN really bans it or not but it doesn't seem to be the fact since death penalty is still widely accepted in the majority of the world)

Oh one more important highlight from your view: Singpapore laws should not be treated with respect.
i never said anything about charging people under australian laws, but maybe it would be a good idea, afterall they seem more just[instead of putting a drug smuggler on the same tier as a murderer] what i suggest is that they comply with the UN as well as with civilized countrys and drop the death penalty. life inprisonment is more than enough.

the death penalty is not widely accepted, statstics show that even America [ who only even has the option of execution with first degree murder and also i beleive treason] is scaling down the death penalty with more death row inmates getting off the hook than ever before.

there are so many things wrong with this:
they executed him primitively, using a hanging = painful way to die, instead of a more civilized leathal injection
The crime he was executed for
The frequency of their executions
good game Singapore, iam sure your executions greatly help your tourism.

and you are perfectly right, i have no respect for Sinapore and its laws, none whatsoever. They are like barbarians to me, even worse, more like dogs. Only a compeltely primitive society agrees with execution, especially they way they operate it, with a primitive method and a uniform punishment
" You smuggle drug? Execution! NEXT, You? murderer? Execution! NEXT"

The death row inmates are not even treated with respect. After an execution in america, the former criminals have seen to have paid their debt and their memory is now that of an ex-con. They get a last meal, and their time is made to be as comfortable as possible with family visits etc.

So why would i have respect for a legal system that is infact not just? The law is supposed to be what is right and what is just based on morals and ideals of humanity, so how can the law be like it is here and then so radically different in another country? clearly their law is flawed

HSC
Serius said:
life inprisonment is more than enough.
Life imprisonment isn't always enough.

Scenario 1.
a person murders 10 people. Life imprisonment.
a person murders 200 people... Life imprisonment?

Scenario 2.
A man rapes and kills 3 women. 3 consecutive life sentences.

Whilst in prison, he kills a fellow prisoner.. What are they going to do? Chuck another one on top? Oh, i'm sure he REALLY feels the loss! :rolleyes:

And may i remind you, that "life sentence" does not always mean "life sentence". God help Singapore if they should get a justice system like ours.

"I sentence you to life imprisonment. You shall be released in 6 days". :rolleyes:

kitty_purrswell

Butter your own muffin
HSC
lawforever said:

I have to agree with you lawforever. Whilst it seems to the Western World that the death penalty is a harsh and unforgiving form of punishment, we have to face the fact that Ngyuen was still a drug trafficker. To be caught with any amount of an illegal drug, especially with an intended purpose of supply to the wider community, could even be perceived as intention to harm or kill in my own opinion. Fair enough if the drugs were to be used for personal purposes...its a personal choice, but when you hear these stories of families losing loved ones to OD, its difficult to find any other justification for the Singaporeans not to carry out their own legislations.

Because our own legal system isn't really sufficient, I expect that it is difficult for many of us to understand the decision to undertake the death penalty for prisoners, given that hanging may not be the best alternative. My only concern is that while their is such a raucous in the media about this story, while the Unions are proposing a work ban on Singapore Airlines in protest, why aren't we questioning our own system, and the sentences being handed down for murder, rape and even drug trafficking. Where are the vigils for the victims in these crimes? As much as I hate to say it, morals and ethics are always going to play a small part in the final determination of int'l law. Cultures and customs conflict and differ. Whilst we may not see the rationality in carrying out the death penalty, others do. Its time to stop being so critical of other int'l legal systems, and begin to fix our own.

HSC
kitty_purrswell said:
Because our own legal system isn't really sufficient, I expect that it is difficult for many of us to understand the decision to undertake the death penalty for prisoners, given that hanging may not be the best alternative.
Here here. Australians are always quite shocked when they see a legal system actually working in favour of the victims. They seem shocked at the harsh sentences given in other countries.

It comes from them living in a comfortable society their whole life, where they rarely experience the violence that people in most other countries experience in day to day life. A comfortable society which i have always been fighting to protect, though some people just don't realise how fragile it is, and just what it takes to destroy it.

To Singapore, this was an adequate punishment. To most asian countries, this would have been an adequate punishment.

HSC
I might add, that going any further then what has happened, for example by saying that Nguyen is a hero.. Or imposing things such as work bans.. Would only serve to embarrass Australia.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Life imprisonment isn't always enough.

Scenario 1.
a person murders 10 people. Life imprisonment.
a person murders 200 people... Life imprisonment?

Scenario 2.
A man rapes and kills 3 women. 3 consecutive life sentences.

Whilst in prison, he kills a fellow prisoner.. What are they going to do? Chuck another one on top? Oh, i'm sure he REALLY feels the loss! :rolleyes:

And may i remind you, that "life sentence" does not always mean "life sentence". God help Singapore if they should get a justice system like ours.

"I sentence you to life imprisonment. You shall be released in 6 days". :rolleyes:
Chuck him in solitary for a few years.

Hanzo

HSC
execution is the way to go !
life imprisonment will just cost us tax payers more money

peace^^

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
Actually it is only banned if states adopt an optional protocol within various rights acts (name escapes me at the moment but it is based off the UDHR). So consideirng it is an optional protocol I don't see how it says no execution.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
I think i might be following the general crowd by saying that Whilst i dont personally agree with Capital punishment in any way shape or form i do believe that in this case Ngyuen broke the law and as such must pay the consequences. He would have known the risk of what he was doing and even if he didnt, ignorance is no excuse. Capital Punishment is a primitive and hideous punisment but it is not up to us to decided the type of justice implemented in a country other than our own.

The fact remains that nqyuen was a drug pusher and as such is no hero of mine.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
lawforever said:
He is no hero. I think most people think he should be punished by a lengthy prison sentence.

You know that something is wrong when the state controlled unfree media starts questioning the mandatory death penalty.

As for the use of murder. Execution is state sanctioned murder. Execution has always been state sanctioned murder. Nothing new about that phrase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)