Nihilism (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Lol...

I'm only going to deal with one, the easist one, and the one in which you have made the most sweeping generalisations immaginable.

Terrorism is not caused by the basis of religion. Terrorism is the systematic use of terror (violence, or threats of violence etc) especially as a means of coercion. In isolated cases, religion has played a varying role in the shaping of a would-be terrorist's beliefs (which inspire him to bring about social reform) but to blame terrorism on religion is ridiculous, or to infer that religion promotes terrorism is equally so.

Terrorism is conducted to bring about political change. One hardly has to be religious to be a terrorist.

Now, take contraception for example, how does the Catholic Church's (I'm assuming this example is an attack on Catholicism specifically) stance on contraception demonstrate the "failure" of religion as a legitimate force in society?
Any religion which based upon fear (Christianity, Islam, etc) promotes terrorism in an implicit way, at the very least.

Name_Taken

HSC
Did you not hear how the pop forbid the idea of sending condoms to africa to stop the spread of aids as it violated 'natural law'.
Pretty big fail in my opinion
Lol, yea I sorta did hear about it, being Catholic and all... :rolleyes:

You have failed to even raise an arguement to support your stance of the Church's position being "fail".

HSC
Uni Grad
mate, arent you an athiest?

so where do these inherent morals come from?

not having a go at you or anything, just trying to understand where you are coming from
I put it down to common sense that for example, killing is wrong, rape is wrong, being a cunt to people for no reason is wrong etc.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Stop blaming religion and blame stupid religionists who think they are following the religion.
Yes, the individuals are at fault in cases of terrorism. But at some point you have to admit that religious texts that promote public stoning, mass destruction, bigotry and eternal damnation for unbelievers are hardly the positive influence upon followers.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
on the topic of terrorism,

90% of suicide bombers do so because of political reasons
These "political reasons" are probably because the current political stance is in opposition to their religious beliefs.

Name_Taken

HSC
I put it down to common sense that for example, killing is wrong, rape is wrong, being a cunt to people for no reason is wrong etc.
Who is to say what is wrong? Lol, you?

Common sense is subjective. Who are you to say that I am in the wrong, if I see rape as totally morally justifiable? (which I don't BTW).

Why is rape and murder and just being a general dickhead wrong?

Name_Taken

HSC
Yes, the individuals are at fault in cases of terrorism. But at some point you have to admit that religious texts that promote public stoning, mass destruction, bigotry and eternal damnation for unbelievers are hardly the positive influence upon followers.
Athiests could be said to be just as evil at violently enforcing their own beliefs upon others.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, just to name a few. Saddam may have hid beheind his religion, but the fabuolous four I just mentioned were just as guilty of hiding, not behiend God, but behiend no God.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Lol, yea I sorta did hear about it, being Catholic and all... :rolleyes:

You have failed to even raise an arguement to support your stance of the Church's position being "fail".
Dude i gave a list of numerous things which show the 'fail' nature of religion.
For example the crusades, millions dead in the name of religion.
With terrorism, muslims dont blow shit up for lulz, they do it as they are promised virgins in 'heaven'.
How many christian communities have exiled gays?
Contraception and the aids issue in africa?

The evidence is there that religion is more trouble then its worth.

Please find me some evidence of atheists waging wars, blowing shit up or denying a country of a basic need?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Athiests could be said to be just as evil at violently enforcing their own beliefs upon others.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, just to name a few. Saddam may have hid beheind his religion, but the fabuolous four I just mentioned were just as guilty of hiding, not behiend God, but behiend no God.
And what specific "beliefs" would they be?

That's like saying people with mustaches shouldn't enforce their evil beliefs onto others (Hitler, Stalin, etc). A mustache isn't inherently linked with any particular beliefs, it is a physical trait.

Similarly, atheism is just a lack of belief in supernatural deities. It is not inherently linked to any other ideologies.

However, Christianity/Islam relies upon the Bible/Quran and therefore such actions from these religions can be inextricable linked to their respective religious texts.

Last edited:

CecilyMare

HSC
Who is to say what is wrong? Lol, you?

Common sense is subjective. Who are you to say that I am in the wrong, if I see rape as totally morally justifiable? (which I don't BTW).

Why is rape and murder and just being a general dickhead wrong?
because consensus in australia says it's wrong and consensus rules

also it hurts people.

Name_Taken

HSC
And what specific "beliefs" would they be?

That's like saying people with mustaches shouldn't enforce their evil beliefs onto others (Hitler, Stalin, etc). A mustache isn't inherently linked with any particular beliefs, it is a physical trait.

Similarly, atheism is just a lack of belief in supernatural deities. It is not inherently linked to any other ideologies.

However, Christianity/Islam relies upon the Bible/Quran and therefore such actions from these religions can be inextricable linked to their respective religious texts.
Lol, asserting that there is no God, requires faith in unto itself as there is not proof that God doesn't exist.

In fact, it requires faith to even believe in what science can demonstrate. One must first have faith in the scientific method, the scientists themselves, and subsequently, faith in the universe; that everything is in fact acutually explainable through something as mundane and crude as science or mathematics.

The religion of athiesm proclaims the path of light to the individual, through the study of the holy scripture "The God Delusion" and worship to it's saviour Richard Dawikns himself.

Ok on a serious note now.... Christianity is just the belief in a loving and sympathetic God, it is not tied to hate crime or religiously inspired murder or the like. You can claim that the religion fosters negative attitudes to homosexuality, which it does, it is described as a sin, a moral wrong. However the Bible also teaches us to love our neighbour, to be charitable and not to judge people "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone".

And the Bible is not Christianity in a book. There are apsects of the faith outside of the Bible. It is possible to be Christian without having read all of (or even any of for that matter) the Bible. The Bible is an important reference tool for the faithful, but not simply a list of rules (although it does present some) and should not be seen as such.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
mundane and crude as science or mathematics.
You just lost the small amount of credibility and dignity you once had.
Anything you say from now on will not be taken seriously.
You just proved you are another ignorant delusional puppet.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, you have a point with that.

I am merely speaking as an individual, they are wrong to me.
But even those who do wrong (and are mentally stable) would they not know that what they did is wrong? They understand that it is, but choose to do it anyway, or so I believe.

Rape and murder and being a dickhead are wrong because they are negatively impacting on another person, which I see as wrong. While this does not necessitate that the next guys sees them as wrong, I don't understand how a mentally stable person could try and justify them.

Hmm, maybe I spoke before thinking afterall, perhaps we don't have inherent morals...I will have to ponder this some more...

Name_Taken

HSC
because consensus in australia says it's wrong and consensus rules

also it hurts people.

Lol, so in 200 years time, if everyone comes together and decides that rape is Aok and we have a vote, it becomes legislated for, and mroally acceptable?

Just becuase it hurts someone is not a reason why it morally wrong. Advancing your own self interest at the expense of others (this is in a Godless world BTW) is hardly a "wrong" ambition. You owe nothing to others, or to society, and don't have an obligation not to hurt them, unless you are able to establish why in fact that you do.

Name_Taken

HSC
You just lost the small amount of credibility and dignity you once had.
Anything you say from now on will not be taken seriously.
You just proved you are another ignorant delusional puppet.
LOL

HAHA

I'm sorry for insulting your religion.

Omgosh how pathetic. Please tell me you don't actually think of science and mathematics as anything greater than mere tools with with to carry out the human conditions insatiable curiosity regarding the world around us?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
LOL

HAHA

I'm sorry for insulting your religion.

Omgosh how pathetic. Please tell me you don't actually think of science and mathematics as anything greater than mere tools with with to carry out the human conditions insatiable curiosity regarding the world around us?
Delusional troll is delusional.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
So I thought the OP said no religious debates.

As for Nihilism: meh. Worthy philosophy, just too many idiotic people and misconceptions attached to the label.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)