Nintendo 3DS (1 Viewer)

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
$400 is ridiculous and its not even a console its just a hand held device. Absolutely ridiculous.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
3ds's australian launch is tonight 6pm for sydney peeps.

http://www.vooks.net/story-19908-Nintendo-3DS-Australian-Launch-Event-details-and-live-blog.html

also i realised a few days ago that if it's priced at $399-$400 then i can just use my 10% myer discount, and my $100 gift card and pay like $260ish, which is what i'd be paying if i got it from america, so i'm happy again =]

edit: lol for perth it's 3pm today, so we can still check online at 3ish instead of waiting for 6pm

TheTutorBot

HSC
Def getting pokémon white, tossing up on whether or not I want a 3DS.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
apparently there is a professor layton vs phoenix wright game coming out.....I have no idea how this will work.
Phoenix Wright series of games were the fucking *BUSINESS*.

Made my DS Lite days.

Now have original Phoenix Wright on iPhone and play it fairly frequently. NEEDS RETINA GRAPHICS THOUGH.

Buying a 3DS the *second* it comes out.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
3ds's australian launch is tonight 6pm for sydney peeps.

http://www.vooks.net/story-19908-Nintendo-3DS-Australian-Launch-Event-details-and-live-blog.html

also i realised a few days ago that if it's priced at $399-$400 then i can just use my 10% myer discount, and my $100 gift card and pay like $260ish, which is what i'd be paying if i got it from america, so i'm happy again =]

edit: lol for perth it's 3pm today, so we can still check online at 3ish instead of waiting for 6pm
Yo Omie are you retarded perth is 3 hours behind us

thus the times are simultaneous

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
nope, it's region locked.
usa games will only work on a usa ds, pal and jap games only work on pal and jap ds consoles.
i think england is pal like us, not 100% sure though..

TheTutorBot

HSC
thought it might be...the price will drop after a few weeks though so I'll just wait

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
nope, it's region locked.
usa games will only work on a usa ds, pal and jap games only work on pal and jap ds consoles.
i think england is pal like us, not 100% sure though..
America and North Asia use NTSC whereas Europe and Australia use PAL.

thought it might be...the price will drop after a few weeks though so I'll just wait
It won't drop for a while just like it was with the original DS.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
OK i went to parramatta today for the 3DS event and i tried out a few games:

Augmented Reality: small minigame-style games that involve placing a card on a table (etc).
Point the ds the card and stay within 35cm, wait for the ds to load the game, and then cool stuff happens!
I played the one where targets popped out. There was a small lush patch of ferns where the AR card was and 3 targets came up, so you go around (yes you can hold the ds and move around the card and it will be like circling the ferns and targets) and shoot the targets.
Second round involved a few more targets, but i specifically remember a target being in a small hole that appeared in the middle of the patch of grass/ferns, so i held the ds ABOVE and aimed down and (according to the screen) there was a target DOWN a hole about 3cm into the table! So cool!

Submarine game: was boring.

Legend of Zelda: I liked it. I've played ocarina of time on my laptop via emulator/rom and the gameplay was similar, but this time you have a map on the bottom of your screen. Visually it was not bad, just like any other colourful 3rd person adventure game. 3D was subtle, not overly in your face, but it was there, and it provided a bit more depth of field.

Resident Evil Mercenaries: I enjoyed this, would've enjoyed more if i had more time to work out the controls lol. Graphically the best game i saw out of all the games i played (or saw, i avoided nintendogs and pilot wings). It's like mercenary mode in RE4, which i had on ps2. Gameplay is the same. Run around, stand still to shoot, aim with laser sighting and bam shoot em in the face. I opted to shoot them in the legs, so i could go up to them and do a context-sensative finishing move (yes, there are context sensative killing moves when they are down on their knees or stunned, like the console versions).
The 3D was a little less subtle than Zelda, but still there (i didnt pay too much attention, i was busy killing zombies).
Only graphical downside is that the blood effects could've been better, but hey it's a handheld, no reason to complain :p

Super Street Fighter IV: I enjoyed this too. It was awesome playing as Ryu and Ken and taking on familiar (and new) opponents. The 3D makes your character stand out from the background, and it worked well with the 3D rendered character models.
I'll definitely be getting this game at launch (only launch title that interests me).

Kid Icarus: A nice colourful action game. Control scheme is just like Metroid Prime Hunters (analogue nub to move around, touch screen to aim, L-trigger to shoot/attack). The demo just involved flying around and shooting everything that moves, and then running around and shooting everything that moves.
3D looked good in this game.

The only problem i had with playing the 3DS games were that i had to view the screen at the optimal angle to see the 3D without it making me feel like i'm crossing my eyes. Usually fast action bits felt weird on my eyes, while not as fast scenes were good, but that could just be me. Personally i'm not too much of a fan of 3d stuff (movies etc), it just seems unnecessary to me, though it was quite impressive with SSIV and Kid Icarus.
I played all games with 3D on full, but when i get my 3DS i'll probably turn it off. I wont be missing out, and i'll probably save on battery too.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
basically if you like/love 3d movies then you will also like/love the 3d effect in 3ds games.
i personally prefer watching 2D movies, but i was very impressed with the 3D visuals on the 3ds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)