• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No Country For Old Men (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
the first sentence of that horrible review pretty much tells me the POV of that writer. Just another wanker trying to make something sound really good. He writes that if we don't appreciate the movie we don't know anything about movies. That is complete and utter bullshit.
i was quoting it out of context from a heated argument in someone's blog... for the record, i agree that the 'if you're not willing to concede this, then you suck' vibe is hyperbolic, but i also agree with him that some of the film's virtues are undeniable and beyond argument.

icecreamdisco

HSC
gummo is one of the worst films i've seen. it also has a poor score on rottentomatoes and seems to only have attracted a cult following because werner herzog (famous and well-loved german director) praised it... most of the praise for ncfom, at least from where i'm standing, seems to come from people who well and truly love film, and not shallow non-comformists (who like gummo only because it's the exact opposite of random cliched hollywood garbage, which makes it a cliche in itself)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i love gummo for the simple fact that me and my friends find its atrocity hilarious. Same with bad boy bubby.

fucking wierd fucked up movies.

Hahaha and kids, bully and ken park.

all comedies.

ashton gummo is a very wierd fucking movie. i bought it on dvd for like 5 bucks. its so bad that it borders on hilarity. we can watch it some day if you wish.

Chloe Sevigny stars in the wierdest most horrible fucking movies.

lol @ the review of it on imdb:

User Comments (Comment on this title)
19 out of 21 people found the following comment useful:-
beautiful, 20 March 2004

Author: flavorsoftruth23 from shelbyville

I lived in a trailer camp myself as a kid. It was a step up from where we were living before, I'm told. Some of my relatives still live in trailer parks, and some could have easily been extras or actors in this film. It actually makes me think of my own childhood in a very bittersweet, sentimental way.

If this movie repulses you, well, that's only one of it's objectives. If you can see past the horror, and just simply realize that the director is presenting real people in their real environment, devoid of judgment, you are making progress. A huge chunk of America, and indeed most of the Third World, lives just like this. It's just how it is...not evil or to be pitied or condescended to...it's just how life is for a lot of disposable, historically abused White Trash people in our rotting, decaying Republic. And "Gummo" succeeds in that it is almost a travelogue of these

environs, one that is as beautiful as it is horrifying, and full of metaphors about our ugly and beautiful human condition.

The quiet final scene, with the Down's Syndrome afflicted woman singing to

Jesus quite sincerely before "lights out", just as blissful as the only the truly ignorant can be, reminds me a lot of the last photographic work of Diane Arbus, and that is no small compliment. It serves as a counterpoint to the bombastic death metal soundtrack that weaves in and out of the depraved, amoral lives of the metalhead glue-huffing teenagers in the film like a nursery rhyme.

My favorite scene, personally, is where the teenage couple is clumsily attempting to make out in a totally ruined old shell of a car, in front of a burning mound of what appears to be some creosote-soaked scrap lumber and blown out tires, as flames and carcinogenic smoke roar up into the night sky. The main male character feels a big ol' cancerous lump on his playmate's breast, and the clumsy groping stops for a minute as the two try to contemplate their hopeless, toxic lives in a dying world

the black gay midget scene is the funniest, where the guy is trying to come onto him.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
into the wild is pretty good and bad boy bubby is great

and now i'm going to sleep, hoping that in the morning everyone will have changed their minds and agree with me

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Enteebee said:
created by an ostentacious enough couple of writers and left enough long pauses/pan shots/prolonged dialogue that people who like to wank about films had time enough to conclude it a masterpiece.
Enteebee said:
My favourite films are:
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
The Breakfast Club
lol?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Fight Club is popular with everyone I've ever known my age and seemed fairly action packed to me, same with pulp fiction... You don't need to understand the 'subversive meta-narrative symbolism' to appreciate these movies imho. The Breakfast Club is a fucking classic that is pretty much the first 'teen' flick, wtf?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I like all of those movies, but you can't really criticise something for prolongued dialogue then say Pulp Fiction is fantastic

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
By prolonged I don't just mean there is extensive use of dialogue, just that it often comes off as trite and meaningless with no exciting aesthetic edge to it anyway.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I haven't actually seen it, but now I feel I pretty much have to

icecreamdisco

HSC
Enteebee said:
Fight Club is popular with everyone I've ever known my age and seemed fairly action packed to me, same with pulp fiction... You don't need to understand the 'subversive meta-narrative symbolism' to appreciate these movies imho.
but surely they're not your (or other people your age) favorite films just because they're action packed... fight club has probably ten minutes worth of actual fighting and none of it's steven seagal style stuff, pulp fiction also has violence but no real action scenes... and both run for 2.5 hours. why not replace them on your list with balls-out, honest-to-god action films? my point is that even though you might not sip lattes while wearing berets, discussing the radical subversion of dramatic orthodoxy and narrative conventions present in both films, such aspects of them might be the unconscious reason that they're your favorite films... ie, they're fresh, they're different, etc.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
such aspects of them might be the unconscious reason that they're your favorite films.
Hmm well when I wrote that, I didn't disagree... however I suppose I feel fight club for instance kept me excited the whole way through (not necessarily through brute action), whereas I just honestly can't say that for ncfom.

spiny norman

HSC
For all the "If you claim to love this movie you must be just saying it to be hip" dudes - get over your fucking selves. That you then follow up any arguments to the contrary with "How can you say I don't know good cinema" shows just how precious you turds are. Dislike this film all you like, it's no skin off my nose, but to then go and hurl insults at anyone who disagrees with you (the vast majority of those who've seen it) is utterly ridiculous. People who attempt to be hip by being counter-counter-culture aren't any less pathetic than those they attack. In the best/worst of 2007 thread elsewhere, I see a number of you have put this as your worst film of 2007. If you sincerely believe that, in the year that brought you Daddy Day Camp and Epic Movie, then you don't know good cinema. You'll say art's subjective, and that's fine, but anyone who argues Police Academy 7 is better than The Godfather is going to be thought of as an idiot.

I've seen this twice now, and truly I love it. The scene in the hotel (and the street chase that followed it), particularly, was one of the tensest I've ever witnessed in a film, to the point where I could feel my heart beating in my chest - and it's been some time since I can recall that in a film. That a film can have one scene alone to have such an affect is a great testament to it, but this film was littered with them. I saw a 9:30 session of the film the first time, so did not get home until midnight. It took me some time to get to sleep that night, for I still had such a feeling of dread and anxiety. It's not often a film can manage to be that strong.

The acting was fantastic. Javier Bardem's getting all of the praise (and he deserves much, to be sure) but I don't see why he should get any more than Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Kelly Macdonald. I especially loved Tommy Lee Jones, the dialogue was so wonderfully written, but the way he spoke it (especially his bookending monologues) brought it to life majestically. To quote Roger Ebert, "When I get the DVD of this film, I will listen to that stretch of narration several times; Jones delivers it with a vocal precision and contained emotion that is extraordinary".

This is the best film I've seen for the year, and though the trailers before it were all of movies I think look extremely promising (Sweeney Todd, American Gangster, There Will Be Blood and The Kite Runner, okay, maybe not that one), I think it will stay that way.

historykidd

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
time for some fucking negativity in this thread.

I just saw it at broadway cinemas with Ashton and Chadd.

All 3 of us share the same opinion

It is fucking shit and anyone who raves about this movie cannot be anything but a psuedo-artfag wanker.

Seriously, I have never witnessed such boring and pointless dialogue. The best part in the movie was when the credits interrupted Tommy-Lee Jones' uninspired speech about his stupid dreams.

I have read that people think it was unclear whether or not the stupid pressurised air-gun villian faggot was in the room with Tommy-Lee Jones when Jones returned to the El Paso crime scene, but if you aren't a retard, who is too busy thinking about how impressed people would be with his artfagginess after he tells them he loves this stupid movie, you would notice Chigurh spots Jones' reflection in the broken door knob socket thingy indicating that he is waiting in that room, but he didn't shoot him GOD KNOWS FUCKING WHY

and the whole point of that car crash scene was just too see some hot inbred kid give his shirt to Chigurh.

Even the old pretentious-looking bitch next to me was heard saying the movie was 'shit' after the credits started.

OMG ITS FUCKING SHIT WTF HOW THE FUCK CAN IT GET SUCH GOOD REVIEWS

I have just read two articles on it ranting on about what a fantastic moment for cinema this is HAS THE WORLD GONE FUCKING INSANE

are we that eager to impress people with our depth by taking something that is completely shit and using the english language to try and build it up into the ultimate fucking artsy film.

seriously.

WHAT THE FUCK.

with lyke movies ya know if you want to convey something you have to lyke find a way to CAPTIVATE the fucking audience and then convey whatever the fuck you want. Not place Tommy-Lee Jones in a blank role and make him do nothing but tell shit stories, drink tea and eat breakfast, and occasionally hint at him actually doing something only to have the scene conclude with him sitting on a bed contemplating some crap and then switching to another fucking scene, it would have been much better if Chigurh shot him with his stupid cattle gun.

the coen brothers are shit cunts for making this.

Javier Bardem is a good actor, but seriously he reminded me of the dudes from sydney uni liberal club. Christian Bale's character in American Psycho was alot better, and I hated that movie too.
You probably should've ended yourself a while back.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
my point is that even though you might not sip lattes while wearing berets, discussing the radical subversion of dramatic orthodoxy and narrative conventions present in both films, such aspects of them might be the unconscious reason that they're your favorite films...
I agree with you, I suppose what I mean more than them being necessarily 'action packed' (as in full of fights/explosions) is that I felt the film had a good pace and everything seemed to fit well with that pace. I got bored/felt a lot of the scenes in NCFOM were fairly pointless or contrived... Even the scene where he talks with the old guy at the counter of his shop seemed to be the same old psycho back and forth answering questions with another question.

For all the "If you claim to love this movie you must be just saying it to be hip" dudes - get over your fucking selves.
I'm sure they really do like it, I just can't see a reason to imagine it's as good as people are claiming it is and am trying my best to reason it.

The scene in the hotel (and the street chase that followed it), particularly, was one of the tensest I've ever witnessed in a film, to the point where I could feel my heart beating in my chest - and it's been some time since I can recall that in a film.
Um... See, I can see why we're going to have completely different views... because I just can't imagine being particularly on edge because of that scene (unless I was some extremely timid person). A guy shoots through the door... jumps out the window... they have a fire fight in the streets... I honestly just can't see what made it any better than any other similar scene in a different movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)