No Country For Old Men (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Both David and Margaret gave this film 5 stars.

Sounds good. Will see.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
FUCK!!! OLD MEN?!

i LOVE old men.

icecreamdisco

HSC
i was gonna make pretty much the same thread when i saw it last week, but couldn't be fucked. SO GOD BLESS YOU ALLEY.

but yeah, this movie is so far an beyond anything else released recently that it's almost kinda unfair. i saw atonement a few days later and it seemed anemic in comparison.

i mean, the hotel scene! the motel scene! the empty street chase! the coin toss! every actor being absolutely at the top of their game! the final scene between bardem and kelly mcdonald! kelly mcdonald in general! tommy lee jones' final monologue! the fact that it isn't all empty formalism but rather uses it's impeccable visual language to complement it's thematic weight! useless academic prattle from icecreamdisco! SHIVERS UP AND DOWN MY SPINE!!!

even outside the big, DESTINED-TO-GO-DOWN-IN-CINEMA-HISTORY scenes, there's so many fantastic smaller details that have permanently etched themselves into my memory. the crumbled-up candy wrapper unfolding on the gas station counter, the cloud casting a shadow over the flock of cattle, the cat lapping up milk at the hotel desk, bardem checking his boots after his visit to mcdonald's house, etc.

i can't wait to see this again. so rich, so thrilling, so haunting, etc etc.

MASTERPIECE. MUST SEE. 5 STARS. MULTIPLE BONERZ.

icecreamdisco

HSC
it's so good that i even used the term 'flock of cattle' out of sheer irrational love.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
chigurh's character.. wow. best thriller/drama i've seen in a long long time.

walrusbear

HSC
heh

i was just about to come back and elaborate on how much i enjoyed the hotel sequence when i saw icecreams post and he's said it all :p

just remains to be seen if PT anderson can top it :p
also a bad call to kick off the boxing day releases with this sort of quality
it's only downhill from here

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Anyone know why he got arrested in the beginning of the movie?

walrusbear

HSC
it isn't revealed

we only need see what happens when he is arrested

Last edited:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
time for some fucking negativity in this thread.

I just saw it at broadway cinemas with Ashton and Chadd.

All 3 of us share the same opinion

It is fucking shit and anyone who raves about this movie cannot be anything but a psuedo-artfag wanker.

Seriously, I have never witnessed such boring and pointless dialogue. The best part in the movie was when the credits interrupted Tommy-Lee Jones' uninspired speech about his stupid dreams.

I have read that people think it was unclear whether or not the stupid pressurised air-gun villian faggot was in the room with Tommy-Lee Jones when Jones returned to the El Paso crime scene, but if you aren't a retard, who is too busy thinking about how impressed people would be with his artfagginess after he tells them he loves this stupid movie, you would notice Chigurh spots Jones' reflection in the broken door knob socket thingy indicating that he is waiting in that room, but he didn't shoot him GOD KNOWS FUCKING WHY

and the whole point of that car crash scene was just too see some hot inbred kid give his shirt to Chigurh.

Even the old pretentious-looking bitch next to me was heard saying the movie was 'shit' after the credits started.

OMG ITS FUCKING SHIT WTF HOW THE FUCK CAN IT GET SUCH GOOD REVIEWS

I have just read two articles on it ranting on about what a fantastic moment for cinema this is HAS THE WORLD GONE FUCKING INSANE

are we that eager to impress people with our depth by taking something that is completely shit and using the english language to try and build it up into the ultimate fucking artsy film.

seriously.

WHAT THE FUCK.

with lyke movies ya know if you want to convey something you have to lyke find a way to CAPTIVATE the fucking audience and then convey whatever the fuck you want. Not place Tommy-Lee Jones in a blank role and make him do nothing but tell shit stories, drink tea and eat breakfast, and occasionally hint at him actually doing something only to have the scene conclude with him sitting on a bed contemplating some crap and then switching to another fucking scene, it would have been much better if Chigurh shot him with his stupid cattle gun.

the coen brothers are shit cunts for making this.

Javier Bardem is a good actor, but seriously he reminded me of the dudes from sydney uni liberal club. Christian Bale's character in American Psycho was alot better, and I hated that movie too.

Last edited:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
the hotel scene? no Moss is a fucking idiot for sitting right in front of the door with the shotgun. If I was some supposed clevah calculating inbred I would post myself behind the bed in a crouching position so I can still see whether or not someone is at the door, plus avoid any forseen shot through the door (or in the case a flying door lock)

the motel scene? awesome some dude comes in and kills unsuspecting ppl, awesome, awesome just heaps awesome YEAH I HAVENT SEEN THAT BEFORE

the street chase? oh cool is the only reason you think it is cool is because the street is empty? I could take you to golburn at 3am and chase you around the streets, any witnesses will not see me as some profound artsy cunt.

the coin toss? with the old dude? That is probably the only scene that had me in the least amount of suspense possible, but it was also frustrating because the old guy was a stupid fuck.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
i mean, the hotel scene! the motel scene! the empty street chase! the coin toss! every actor being absolutely at the top of their game!
HJAHAHAHHAHA FUCK OFF!!!

I prefered the scene in predator where the slut took off her skirt, that was good acting, I really believed she was an easy slut.

I fucking swear you pretentious fucks just like to pick movies that you know no one else will find amazing so you can keep your precious little niche where you have something 'special'. This movie gets 1/5 for me, it would have been 2.5-3 with the same plot if it wasn't drawn out so pointlessly.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Enteebee said:
HJAHAHAHHAHA FUCK OFF!!!

I prefered the scene in predator where the slut took off her skirt, that was good acting, I really believed she was an easy slut.

I fucking swear you pretentious fucks just like to pick movies that you know no one else will find amazing so you can keep your pretentious little niche. This movie gets 1/5 for me, it would have been 2.5-3 with the same plot if it wasn't drawn out so pointlessly.
guy: how did you get in?

slut: i taped the lock after class ;) (ie, come in n letz fuck)

>

guy: *flips coin* call it

old man: no

guy: CALL IT

guy: call it

guy: call it!

old man: no.

I bet the coen brothers didn't really direct this movie and leo tolstoy did instead.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I love how no-one has actually offered up WHY this film is amazing, just mentioned scenes and said 'OMG WOW'. How vacuous of you little film critics...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE IGNORANT PEOPLE GIVING THIS BAD REVIEWS!!!! They are the people that go to a movie just wanting to see Vin Diesel blow things up, or see Ice Cube babysit. Heaven forbid a movie without a happy ending, one that makes you think about characters and theme. So here's my review:

Just got back from the theater, and I'm already consumed with thoughts on this film. No Country For Old Men is by far the best film I've seen this year, and I'll be damned if it doesn't win an Oscar. Without spoiling anything, the NCFOM is the latest Coen Brothers film which, like all the others, is about people desperately trying to obtain money - and failing. Josh Brolin shines in yet another role this year, and Tommy Lee Jones fit in nicely as a Texas sheriff. But the real show stealer here is Javier Bordem, who plays a psychopathic killer named Anton Chigurh. Let's just say his two weapons are a silenced shotgun and air- compressed gun used to kill cattle. Insane!

I was entranced all the way through the film, from the perfect cinematography, to the nail- biting suspense, and of course the Coens' uncanny attention to detail. It was interesting to me to see a movie with no music throughout, but the silence only perpetuated dread and horror in many of the scenes. We are introduced to a villain so evil and menacing that he makes Hannibal Lector look like a guy you'd have over for tea. The violence is shocking and brutal, the tension unbearable, and dialogue is perfect. While NCFOM is getting phenomenal reviews, the only complaint I've heard, while rare, is about the ending. Come on, how do you expect a Coen bros film to end? All in all, this may actually surpass Fargo as the Coens' masterpiece.

As I sat through the ending credits, I was quite entertained by some of the comments I heard in the theater. I realized that sometimes you can judge everything you need to know about a person by their response to certain films. Examples being if someone were to laugh their ass off during Schindler's List...the type of responses that are so outrageous that you instantly know they are lacking all common sense, taste, and of course respect and dignity. As the credits rolled, this stupid girl in a red shirt stood up and said, "God, that was the worst f-ing movie ever. What a waste of money, so stupid. Worst movie I've seen in my life." A small voice replied, "Did you just watch the same film that we did?" Such a complex film requires deep thinking. While the plot itself isn't too complicated, the characters are multi-dimensional, and the themes are subtle, in a way that some people may not understand. But I have faith in all that read this, faith that we are all beyond the "Fast and the Furious is a good movie" crowd, faith that we can see, appreciate, and understand art in our own way.
Hahahaha

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I am really loving how I'm seeing NOTHING offered up. I will at least make up the point that he uses a bolt gun (used to kill cattle) as a way to show he views much of society as nothing but thoughtless cattle... that's somewhat poignant I spose? Anything else we can make up from this piece of shit?

I rate almost any film with de niro as a psychopath as having a better psychopath than this movie, hell I think the 'saw' character seems to have more depth than this guy in all honesty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)