No Maths! No Science for yr 11 2009! (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
HSC 2010? I think you'll be the first to do the new Maths Syllabus. Am I right?

suzlee

HSC
jm01 said:
HSC 2010? I think you'll be the first to do the new Maths Syllabus. Am I right?
I would not know; There's going to be a change in the syllabus??
I'll check on the BOS website;

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
suzlee said:
What do you suggest I do in the holidays before Term1 Year 11?
It's just that I'm moving to another school which much higher level of competition and I want to feel prepared.. or I'd die from paranoia :cold:

The maths director at my current school said that people expect MX1 to be so much harder than 2U maths but it's only that there are more topics and harder applications of the topics.. But that's only at THIS school.
During that long break, I actually studied about 2-3 hours of Mathematics everyday. It was pretty damn consistent studying.

It's really easy to accelerate on your own in Mathematics if you have some little talents, guts and motivation and desire to achieve high marks. Since I accelerate in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1, I used that holiday to catch up all my Preliminary work as well as advancing further in Mathematics. To be honest, I finished all my HSC Mathematics topics during that holiday. As for some talented people like you, I really suggest moving to higher level in Mathematics by finishing Prelim, may be?

Finishing Prelim for 2 Unit is actually really easy to be honest. Finishing Prelim 3 unit might pose a bit of obstacle but 3 unit isn't that hard too. But it is CERTAINLY MUCH harder than yr 10 maths which is a joke pretty much (in comparison to yr 11 & 12 maths). So if you are commited to work hard during holiday, do some consistent studying on maths. If you can finish prelims, that's awesome. But NEVER go over the Prelims line. Just finish Prelim - that's the maximum. You don't want to burn out from the beginning.

By the way, get some really good textbooks - I suggest fitzy, cambridge & excel (if necessary).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
suzlee said:
I would not know; There's going to be a change in the syllabus??
I'll check on the BOS website;
Yeah, the syllabus will change for you, I think. But that's just the HSC part. You still have to do Prelim parts of the current syllabi.

suzlee

HSC
lyounamu said:
During that long break, I actually studied about 2-3 hours of Mathematics everyday. It was pretty damn consistent studying.

It's really easy to accelerate on your own in Mathematics if you have some little talents, guts and motivation and desire to achieve high marks. Since I accelerate in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1, I used that holiday to catch up all my Preliminary work as well as advancing further in Mathematics. To be honest, I finished all my HSC Mathematics topics during that holiday. As for some talented people like you, I really suggest moving to higher level in Mathematics by finishing Prelim, may be?

Finishing Prelim for 2 Unit is actually really easy to be honest. Finishing Prelim 3 unit might pose a bit of obstacle but 3 unit isn't that hard too. But it is CERTAINLY MUCH harder than yr 10 maths which is a joke pretty much (in comparison to yr 11 & 12 maths). So if you are commited to work hard during holiday, do some consistent studying on maths. If you can finish prelims, that's awesome. But NEVER go over the Prelims line. Just finish Prelim - that's the maximum. You don't want to burn out from the beginning.

By the way, get some really good textbooks - I suggest fitzy, cambridge & excel (if necessary).

Thanks for the great advice! Sheesh, you tell me not to burn myself out but it sounds like you did a lot of it yourself!! But seriously, I appreciate your first-hand thoughts :eek:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
suzlee said:
Thanks for the great advice! Sheesh, you tell me not to burn myself out but it sounds like you did a lot of it yourself!! But seriously, I appreciate your first-hand thoughts :eek:
2-3 hours of maths everyday isn't much actually... lol

But I really felt great when I finished my hsc maths during that hol. It really helped me cope with more stressful time during prelim. I could better adapt to that intensive studying mode. If you get used to that, it's easy in future. Good luck.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Have fun not doing to best subjects offerred in the hsc, and instead doing simple, boring, pointless ones.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
axlenatore said:
Have fun not doing to best subjects offerred in the hsc, and instead doing simple, boring, pointless ones.
Well, it is different for individuals, isn't it? Some people view Sciences being highly pointless to their desired future career while others don't.

It's all about what you want to do in future and what you like. You are not in a position to say whether it is pointless or not.

speedofsound

HSC
axlenatore said:
I'm sorry, but maths and science fail to excite me.

lolman12567

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, the syllabus will change for you, I think. But that's just the HSC part. You still have to do Prelim parts of the current syllabi.
nope in the 2010 HSC exams the Syllabus will be same aswell as the exam structure (no MC etc.), but there may be 10 mins reading time added.

so this years Yr10 will go by the current maths syllabi till they finish year 12

caswell1515

HSC
speedofsound said:
ME! :D

I'm so excited!! Words can't effectively communicate my utter abhorrence for those subjects.

dont do business and legal studies!!! i did and im paying dearly for it now!

well.... business studies is retarded. do economics. wayyyy more beneficial. and legal you just need to know cases and stuff.

but business wont teach u anything useful!

trust me!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, it is different for individuals, isn't it? Some people view Sciences being highly pointless to their desired future career while others don't.

It's all about what you want to do in future and what you like. You are not in a position to say whether it is pointless or not.
Science may be pointless to their desired career but it doesnt stop it from been so freaking awesome. Anyone who doesnt do science should be removed from the gene pool. Anyway you are not in a position to comment on the truth expressed in my previously statement.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
speedofsound said:
I'm sorry, but maths and science fail to excite me.
From you subjects its apparent you like waffle subjects.....all of those just require you to write in a way to meet the criteria....even though those are always marked subjectively. A great thing about science and maths is that the answers are either right or wrong

speedofsound

HSC
axlenatore said:
Science may be pointless to their desired career but it doesnt stop it from been so freaking awesome. Anyone who doesnt do science should be removed from the gene pool. Anyway you are not in a position to comment on the truth expressed in my previously statement.
Yes, it does. You may consider science to be "freaking awesome", I personally find it to be extraordinarily mundane. However, lol @ "anyone who doesn't do science should be removed from the gene pool", are we exaggerating? Just a tad?

axlenatore said:
From you subjects its apparent you like waffle subjects.....all of those just require you to write in a way to meet the criteria....even though those are always marked subjectively. A great thing about science and maths is that the answers are either right or wrong
That's fine by me, I enjoy critical and analytical writing far more than I enjoy solving forumlae. Although for someone who seems to enjoy objectivity in subjects so much, you personally seem to lack such an essential characteristic.

caswell1515 said:
dont do business and legal studies!!! i did and im paying dearly for it now!

well.... business studies is retarded. do economics. wayyyy more beneficial. and legal you just need to know cases and stuff.

but business wont teach u anything useful!

trust me!
Economics bores me. :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Enjoy your essay writing becuase the great thing about Maths is that there is no essays.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
speedofsound said:
Yes, it does. You may consider science to be "freaking awesome", I personally find it to be extraordinarily mundane. However, lol @ "anyone who doesn't do science should be removed from the gene pool", are we exaggerating? Just a tad? That's fine by me, I enjoy critical and analytical writing far more than I enjoy solving forumlae. Although for someone who seems to enjoy objectivity in subjects so much, you personally seem to lack such an essential characteristic.
Touche......anyway i never exagerrate, i have no need to critically analyse a tablecloth

swathard

HSC
woot! i agree.. NO SCIENCE! lol i couldnt wait to drop this subject, i dread the lesson, i yawn all the time in it.. and yeah, i certainly couldnt see myself doing that HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SUBJECT for years 11 and 12.

on the other hand, maths.. it's ok as a subject.. i was going to drop it, but then i remembered i am srsly considering a commerce career since i've got that passion for humanities - and unofrtunately, maths is a requirement for things like marketing which I would efinitely consider.. thus i only picked the subject, (maths) as a way of keeping my doors open and not shutting any of them.

BUT I CAN TOTALLY SEE WHERE NO MATHS, NO SCIENCE PEOPLE ARE COMING FROM! i was almost there man...

HSC
kaz1 said:
Enjoy your essay writing becuase the great thing about Maths is that there is no essays.
Some of us enjoy essay writing.

I think this forum has emphasised how everyone has different strengths and weaknesses- some of us enjoy the 'waffle subjects' and others enjoy the 'objective' subjects which bore others to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)