No Maths, Science or History (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if there's anyone else here that doesn't do ANY maths, science or history subjects at all.... or am I all alone?

Personally, I'm really glad I don't do any of these subjects. I don't need them in my future study and was always fairly hopeless at them. I'm much happier doing subjects more suited to my interests and abilities.... and this is certaintly reflected in my marks in these subjects too ;)

Anyway, I'm just wondering out of interest. I don't think it'd be all too common for students to do no maths, science and history.

Note: I mean all three subjects. Someone that's subjects do not contain any maths, science or history units. Not just someone that doesn't do maths, but still does a history subject, or someone that does maths and science, but no history.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what subjects you do do, if you're one of these people.

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Just a question for you, which course are you thinking of taking in uni?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Yes there are some people that don’t do the ‘core subjects’ but in year 10 they were never interested in those subjects therefore wouldn’t achieve to their full potential. Although there isn’t many in that situation I would dare say you can count them on your hands from my school.

As Riviet said it depends what you what to do after school on how this could effect you but you would of thought this over when you choose those subjects.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i donno anyone who doesn't do all these three subjects. x]
but well done for dare to choose such subjects to suit ur interest
if onli i got ur courage. >.<

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
history isnt that common...

however the majority of uni courses have prerequisites where u had to have studied english

vg_woz_here

HSC
neh..

i dont do maths..i dropped 2U coz i was failing miserably in it...and i hated the teacher...

but now i feel much better without maths..and managed to top yr11 food tech, hospitality and english =D

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
miss_gtr said:
I did no maths and no science. I did Ancient History however! You should do history above all other subjects :p
You'll probably find yourself scaled down to the shithouse come uai/results time.
Hey you're exactly the same as me <3 Yeh I choose not to do Maths or Science as well, i'm a humanities person, and so i did all the commerce subjects. I only did Ancient to make up the 10 units (It was easily my most hated subject). I didnt do maths, a few years ago i wanted to do 4unit though! And i guess i could have, back in Year 10 i came 6/200 in maths, exactly one year later it was 180/200. I just lost the passion for the subject.

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Just a question for you, which course are you thinking of taking in uni?
My first preference is B. Art Education at the College of Fine Arts, UNSW. 'Assumed knowledge' is HSC Visual Arts and Advanced English. Design and Technology is a bit of a bonus. I study all 3 of these subjects. Entrance is via UAI.

Second preference is B. Visual Arts at Sydney College of the Arts, USYD. Entrance is via portfolio, interview, questionnaire and a recommended UAI minimum of 70.

Bookie said:
I'd be more surprised to find someone with no maths, science or social sciences.
Yeah! That'd be damn rare. Mind you, someone could easily be studying Advanced English, Design and Technology, Food Technology, Drama and Hospitality. I could never see a student like that at my school though, as we all have to study either SORI, SORII or Catholic Studies.

mitsui said:
but well done for dare to choose such subjects to suit ur interest
if onli i got ur courage. >.<
Well, it didn't really require any courage on my part. It was pretty simple. I'm hopeless at everything I don't like because I don't have the motivation, I'm great at everything I do like because I do have the motivation. There was simply no point in me choosing subjects that didn't suit me, as I would have had two very unhappy years, and turned out a hopeless UAI anyway.

For people that raise their eyebrows when they hear I study no maths or science, I simply ignore them. I'm not going to put up with people telling me "Oh, every Uni course needs maths!" or when people suggest that I'm maybe not as smart as students who study a maths or science subject. It's all rubbish. I would consider myself to be particularly intelligent. I have a huge thirst for knowledge, I read constantly, I obtain very good marks in my subjects. It just so happens that my interests lie solely in the visual arts and design, and people, society and religions.... and I'm not afraid to pick subjects that entirely reflect that, ignoring so called scaling or peoples comments. I do not doubt my ability at all to acheive great HSC marks and a great UAI.... or to study at university.

I'm sorry that you felt you couldn't choose subjects that suited your interests Mitsui. I hope it's not too bad for you.

sando said:
history isnt that common...
Well it may not be as common as maths or sciences, but it is actually fairly popular.
This year, there were 10,191 entries in Ancient History (out of a HSC class of approx. 60,000) 9843 in Modern History, and 2368 in History Extension.

With the overlap of students who take Ancient and Modern in account.... that's probably about 1/5 of HSC students who take at least 2 units of History.

vg_woz_here said:
i dont do maths..i dropped 2U coz i was failing miserably in it...and i hated the teacher...

but now i feel much better without maths..and managed to top yr11 food tech, hospitality and english =D
Exactly! :D

miss_gtr said:
You'll probably find yourself scaled down to the shithouse come uai/results time.
Not necessarily. Scaling only really counts if you do bad-average in a subject, and I'm pretty decent at all my subjects. If I was to churn out only 70s marks, then yes my UAI would probably be around 60 - but I don't plan on churning out 70s marks ;) If I get at least two band 6s, and 3 band 5s, with my subjects (judging by their past scaled means) I can get a high 80s-low 90s UAI.

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into a history course. Same goes with physics, now that I've been through year 11.

Originally Posted by Bookie:
I'd be more surprised to find someone with no maths, science or social sciences.

Me too, I know a few people doing English ex1 and 2 and modern history, ancient history and extension history. So that's 9 units. But they're also doing 2U maths.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
There's a girl at my school who does
English
Drama
Dance
Art
Music
Music Industry Training.

On that note I dont do any sciences or maths...but 3 unit history :D!!!

frootloop

HSC
ScottyG said:
You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into a history course.
Same here. I just get so bored and am always thinking to myself: 'Stuff happened in the past. I get that. But I don't care!'

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Hmmm. Well, then there are such examples.

Maybe we should restrict it to Category A courses then.

But still, you could get away with; 4u english, visual arts, music, language, language extension and another language :p I think thats the best you could do at my school.

Hmmm. Hey etcetcetc, hows your health coming along?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
miss_gtr said:
:eek: YOU HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT OUR PAST, TO UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE THE PRESENT!!
Yes you do.

But God is it boring to do so. ;)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Hmmm. Well, then there are such examples.

Maybe we should restrict it to Category A courses then.

But still, you could get away with; 4u english, visual arts, music, language, language extension and another language :p I think thats the best you could do at my school.

Hmmm. Hey etcetcetc, hows your health coming along?
Ahhh...So different to my school! Our language...and only language offered for the HSC..is French Beginners...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Why not history?! History is the greatest, most interesting humanities subject offered by the board.

Other than that, I did no maths or sciences for year 12, and it was the best decision I've ever made (in terms of education). I did 4 unit english, 3 unit history (modern), drama and SOR 1 (compulsory). I wouldn't worry about scaling... it screwed some of my freinds over, but that's because they did general maths, senior science etc. I guess the main reason I was scaled reasonably was the extension subjects.

Someone else in your position would be rare, because the sort of people that choose not to do maths or sciences, would usually be the type to do some sort of history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)