No more DFEE?? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Re: No more DFEE!?

haha, that reminded me of the thing i watched last night on abc. where nelson was giving is opinion on the budget. man that guy is a fuckwit.

BackCountrySnow

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
haha, that reminded me of the thing i watched last night on abc. where nelson was giving is opinion on the budget. man that guy is a fuckwit.
Yeah, he's a moron.

tinalum

HSC
hey...i think its actually better to have no DFEE places...that means more CSP places..

the cut-offs do not reflect how smart an individual is..or their attitude to learning..it is determined by the demand and supply of a course so we should not jump to the conclusion that just because you are a DFEE means that you arent as smart or not as commited to studying..what if someone missed the CSP cut off by 0.05 of a UAI?
Thus to solve the problem its better to have more CSP courses...i worked so damn hard in the hsc because i wanted to do vet science and i scored a UAI of 97.25 which wasnt enought for a CSP..which i was majorly disappointed..i had a DFEE offer but at $33 000 a year..to me it was deemed to expensive..so yes i agree there is inequality

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Joe and Jane DFEE had nothing to do with you missing out on a CSP place.

Actually, the only reason you got an offer for vet science was because there was a DFEE option. Ironic really.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Arithela said:
http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/news/docs_pdfs_images/2008/AFR_29February2008.pdf

here, the law deans of UNSW and USYD argued against the phasing out of dfee places

i can find many articles that are against it too...

note: I am not against nor with the phasing out of dfee places, just here merely for arguments sake.
Of course they are, without DFEE places they'll have to rely on transfers to create an artificially high UAI to attract Sydney grammar and James Ruse students.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

BackCountrySnow said:
yeah, you may be right. labor is pretty big on education though, If having dfee places abolished stays high on their priorities then it's they can probably keep up with the subsidies.
nsw labor's so big on education they put their most useless moron as education minister :D

BackCountrySnow

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
nsw labor's so big on education they put their most useless moron as education minister :D
Nah, they put their biggest moron in charge...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Scientists are still perfecting the new money-growing trees that are going to replace the funds from DFEE places.

As soon as they get it right the changes will kick in :D

BackCountrySnow

HSC
well the lack of money-growing trees didn't stop us from entering iraq so i don't see why DFEE can't be abolished.

nojobnofuture

HSC
This elimination of Full Fee places is an absolute RUBBISH policy that will ultimately do nothing but strengthen Australias shortage of quality skilled people.

High Grades DO NOT Automatically translate to success in life, and using a four digit number SOLELY to assess the suitability of an applicant for a particular course is not a good indicator as to the suitability of an applicant for a given industry. Just because someone achieves high marks, that doesn't that mean they are automatically suited to a particular line of work.

There are legitimately skilled and committed individuals out there that may not perform well academically in a particular course for a number of reasons and that doesn't necessarily mean they are incapable of pursuing such and such course.

Instead of incurring an unnecessary sunk cost and wasting money to supposedlycompesnate Universities for the loss of Full Fee places, the money should instead be used to subsidise Universities to incorporate additional selection mechanisms to ensure Universities get the most suitable people for the Industry they are entering into (i.e. Interview, test etc, NOT JUST GPA/ENTER).

is a roflcopter
HSC
nojobnofuture said:
This elimination of Full Fee places is an absolute RUBBISH policy that will ultimately do nothing but strengthen Australias shortage of quality skilled people.

High Grades DO NOT Automatically translate to success in life, and using a four digit number SOLELY to assess the suitability of an applicant for a particular course is not a good indicator as to the suitability of an applicant for a given industry. Just because someone achieves high marks, that doesn't that mean they are automatically suited to a particular line of work.

There are legitimately skilled and committed individuals out there that may not perform well academically in a particular course for a number of reasons and that doesn't necessarily mean they are incapable of pursuing such and such course.

Instead of incurring an unnecessary sunk cost and wasting money to supposedlycompesnate Universities for the loss of Full Fee places, the money should instead be used to subsidise Universities to incorporate additional selection mechanisms to ensure Universities get the most suitable people for the Industry they are entering into (i.e. Interview, test etc, NOT JUST GPA/ENTER).
this person has no idea how UAI works.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
has not happened yet. so cant comment on it yet. and the shortage on skilled people isnt neccesarily to do with australia not having it...but employers may not be employing all the thousands of graduates into their respective industry of study. eg. shit loads of accounting majors yet there is still a supposed shortage.

though it does mean that they have a greater potential to know what is going on if they study the course than a lesser quality and maybe lesser qualified in terms of studying. though there are already other measures such as umat, inteviews for engineering and some courses giving more points if you studied and did well in a particular subject in the hsc. so high grades still kinda are required.

if they legititmately skilled doesnt this mean that if the field requires a qualification, they would need to attain it in the first place? and if they were to attain it through a degree...then doesnt this mean they would need to gain the initial grades into that degree to get that legitimate skill?

and if they were committed individuals they would somehow find a way to get that qualification for that job. and if they were capable to pursue that particular course, they would be on their way to attaining that particular qualification? :|

mechanisms are already either in progress or are in place as mentioned before. your example of an inteview is still flawed as this can be trained like the uai and will give other individuals who are good at interviews a greater than advantage. this would be very similar to the current hsc anyway.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
his post still has the right idea though
not really

if you read the post, he is clearly confused about UAIs, getting into a university degree and then getting a job.

The UAI doesnt determine how appropriate a person is for a line of work. The employer decides that and UAI is definately not the most important thing on the list.

A higher UAI gives the person a right to choose their degree ahead of a person with lower UAI. This is their reward. There is no link between UAI and the chosen degree since it is all personal preference.

circusmind

HSC
nojobnofuture said:

Totally. What sort of idiot would think that the best way of assessing aptitude for further study would be prior academic performance? How ridiculous!

PS: it's not about how suitable you are for a given industry. it's about how hard you are willing to work towards your goal. harden up and beat the other kids. jeez.

spence

HSC
I agree that the entrance system is pretty bad, imo the American system is better. I reckon they should have 2 cutoffs for each course, one to get straight in, the other to get an interview

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Newbie said:
not really

if you read the post, he is clearly confused about UAIs, getting into a university degree and then getting a job.

The UAI doesnt determine how appropriate a person is for a line of work. The employer decides that and UAI is definately not the most important thing on the list.

A higher UAI gives the person a right to choose their degree ahead of a person with lower UAI. This is their reward. There is no link between UAI and the chosen degree since it is all personal preference.
circusmind said:
Totally. What sort of idiot would think that the best way of assessing aptitude for further study would be prior academic performance? How ridiculous!

PS: it's not about how suitable you are for a given industry. it's about how hard you are willing to work towards your goal. harden up and beat the other kids. jeez.
lol

with this "logic" we might as well just tell the kids to dig holes for 12 months and whoever digs the deepest hole can choose his degree first

it's a "reward", right?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
lol

with this "logic" we might as well just tell the kids to dig holes for 12 months and whoever digs the deepest hole can choose his degree first

it's a "reward", right?
HAHAHA Dean, they're only saying that because they're both law students.

(And so have done well in high school studies, not that i can blame them :eek:)

But then, you're only using that nihilistic analogy (in the sense that the system is intensely fallible and has 'no meaning' in the grander schemes of life) because you're an education student.

With an 85+ WAM :santa:

circusmind

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
lol

it's a "reward", right?

Umm...like I said, it's pretty valid to award academic positions to people based on prior academic performance, no?

The point is that UAI is not about getting a job, it's about getting first pick of future studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)