No one thinks big of you ad (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Now whenever my friends drive hard we do the pinky thing but it hasn't actually influenced us in anyway. Best bit about the ad is it doesn't involve any speeding. And that burnout is sick.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you guys see the new no one thinks big of you add? The one with the extra small condoms...? >__>

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
seremify007 said:
Did you guys see the new no one thinks big of you add? The one with the extra small condoms...? >__>
LINK MAY. And I'll check it in two weeks when I'm uncapped.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, not the more eloquent of ads but I think it's pretty clear what the message is.

Azamakumar said:
I reckon scratch the dumb ads and roll with something more efficient, say capital punishment, to stop repeat offenders.
Here here.

kols_kebabs said:
The ad doesn't work because they're basically trying to dismiss decades of ingrained motorsport, car industry development, and automotive culture.
That's fucking bullshit. It's obvious the ads are targeting people who act like morons on the public roads.

kols_kebabs said:
If I do it, I do it because it's fun.
Well no shit!

Muso7

HSC
hey i know this guy in that ad. In the 2nd car u c, it shows the backseat and the guy on the left; John.. I see that guy all the time haha he works at our local shops and went to my school.. it is so weird seeing him on that ad

But yeah I think it was a good idea to make it; it does prevent speeding in some cases..

Jiga

^

Can you elborate on how exactly it stops speeding in some cases?

Apart from the fact that when I think of the advert I think more of reckless driving then speeding, the images dont portray speeding... if anything it makes me more want to do stupid things because the advert is so dumb. And anway forgetting the advert speeding as a major issue is a MYTH. Statistics show that speeding is a primary cause of crashes BUT stats are manipulated easy, there was a site that highlighted many discrepencies but I have forgotten it... anyway the main one was that the word speeding is used loosely when they attribute it to a crash; its used not only when people are actually speeding (fair enough) but when they regard the speed the individual was driving at was to fast for the road (ie not speeding at all). So for example you could have a crash in the wet even if you were doing 10km/h below the limit and they class that as speeding or you lose control around a bend despite travelling well below the limit and again thats classed as speeding. On top of all this, the way they determine if your speeding is extremely subjective, it isnt that easy to work it out, especially with the invention of ABS where they no longer in most cases have the tyres marks on the road from braking to look at, which was a very good way to determine how fast a car was going in the past (although a loss of control where a car goes sideways they can still see tyre marks). Instead they use eye witnesses who have no training in determining speed or the extent of the crash which can be misleading as if you have 0 seconds to react in but werent speeding the damage would obviously be worse then someone who was speeding but had a coupla seconds to react and brake in.

Anyway point is dont be fooled... countries such a Germany which have higher limits have less crashes per capita. I would attribute this not only to better drivers BUT also the state of their roads... being decent, our roads are poor. I would hazard a guess that poor road condition has been a contributing factor in many crashes, for example going around a bend with an uneven road surface or braking on an uneven road surface (Ive experienced this, parramatta road... ABS kicks in under light braking because the tyres loses traction over some of the ridiculously uneven surfaces)

Last edited by a moderator:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I understand perfectly, but shit like turning right across a motorcyclist is alot more dangerous than spinning your wheels off the lights. I'd seriously like you to elaborate on the dangers of burnouts and drifting in an unpopulated area.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
What's dangerous about doing a burnout off a set of lights?
Oh dear, you got me there. You have totally brought me around. Those advertisements are irresponsible and actually will cause young drivers to kill themselves in greater numbers.

I'm going to write to my local member to get him to argue in parliament that it be mandatory that all cars do burnouts at the lights. Burnouts are the safest way to move from standstill and reduce the risk of the driver loosing control of the car and thus endangering the life of pedestrians and other road users who selfishly and dangerously do not do burnouts from stop.

Even better, we should replace the reverse parking test in the P's test with a burnout test! Young drivers should be taught to be safest and most considerate way of moving away from stop. Everyone knows full open throttle is the best situation in which to control your car. Drivers who drive at part throttle from the lights are dangerous and could loose control of their car endangering pedestrians and other roads users. They should be charged and have their licenses revoked.

Last edited:

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Lots of people trying picking the adds in minute detail in order to justify their own dangerous driving.

It's pretty obvious that the adds do not necessarily show speeding. Speeding is the buzz word, however today it seems it is used as a catch all for 'dangerous driving'. Each person in the add is driving like a moron on public roads. Unfortunately, as seen in this thread, it pretty hard to get through the head of a a sterotypical young male driver who thinks a really really good driver.
Anyway point is dont be fooled... countries such a Germany which have higher limits have less crashes per capita. I would attribute this not only to better drivers BUT also the state of their roads... being decent, our roads are poor. I would hazard a guess that poor road condition has been a contributing factor in many crashes, for example going around a bend with an uneven road surface or braking on an uneven road surface (Ive experienced this, parramatta road... ABS kicks in under light braking because the tyres loses traction over some of the ridiculously uneven surfaces)
Whats your point? We have poor roads unlike Germany. Since we have poor roads we tend to have speed limits. Unfortunately the lesser of the gene pool tend to forget this by dirving in a way that is not suited to the conditions. As a result they tend to kill themselves and others more often than other cohorts resulting in high insurance premiums and a great deal of pain and suffering for parents and loved ones.

If your ABS kicks in on Parramatta road you are going to fast or following too close behind someone. This probably means you are a bogan or a dodgy leb.

7th Sign

HSC
I think its quite obvious the RTA has females working on their ad campaigns,

what about the girls who are hoon's, I see soo many girls who are shit drivers hooning in astras and other chic cars.

This ad only targets one demographic, sure it may be more effective then some of their other previous commercial because they are targeting the social aspect of speeding.

I think the RTA marketing department needs to do some research into ads form over seas which are 100000 times more effective here are some examples

(warning GRAPHICAL content)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8Mnf22D30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_w23Iogt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaQQ7kpP5g

these are the kinds of ads that make you sit up and listen, then ones the RTA come up with do not.

I working in advertising, and currently I am a full time marketing student so I do know some things about this niche.

thanks.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Dude, you're so clever. Seriously how do you manage it? The most dangerous thing in those ads is failing to stop at the pedestrian crossing. The liklihood of having a serious accident as a result from doing a burnout in a straight line is about as high as you posting something actually witty. Speeding is dangerous, I'm not disputing that. My friend came off his bike last night as a result of going too fast (and a driver cutting him off, but that's another discussion). He's fine but it could have been much worse. The fact of that matter is those ads would be much more effective if they ACTUALLY showed the dangers of speeding. Not just some pussies in the back of a VL being scared shitless because their friend is doing a little drift at 30 km/h.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
The liklihood[sic] of having a serious accident as a result from doing a burnout in a straight line is about as high as you posting something actually witty.
Well write your damn letter to an MP about how burnouts are the safest way to move away from stop. I mean every person has a civic duty to do burnouts from a stop at every busy city intersection. Every pedestrian would love the smell of rubber and the feeling of elation of having a car at full open throttle within meters of them.

I just can't understand why people don't understand that cars are easier to control when two wheels have lost traction. Cars are simply easier in such a situation (especially if you are a super talented young male driver who is a really really good, exceptional driver). You should write to a politician to make it mandatory for new cars to have grease placed on their drive wheels so that owners of such cars can access the massive safety advantages and car control that comes with the drive wheels loosing traction without the exertion of having to open the throttle the whole way!

Not just some pussies in the back of a VL being scared shitless because their friend is doing a little drift at 30 km/h.
They can't because some kids mother will write to the advertising standards board about how such adds are unnecessarily graphic. I'm all for bloody realistic adds with brains and blood splattered everywhere.

Regardless I think you will find that the add is more so targeted at attitude regardless of whether it labels itself as a speeding add.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
"Well write your damn letter to an MP about how burnouts are the safest way to move away from stop." (sic).

Yes, because everyone on the road only ever does the safest thing. If you can't see that that ad is stupid and doesn't even illustrate the point it's trying to make that's your problem. Everyone isn't criticising it because they are trying to justify their own irresponsibility. They are doing so because it's a shit ad that doesn't make sense.

"add (sic)"

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Yes, because everyone on the road only ever does the safest thing.
Well I try my best to do the safest things on the road. Don't you? Doing burnouts at intersections, in my opinion, doesn't constitute doing your best to drive safely or responsibly.

If you can't see that that ad is stupid and doesn't even illustrate the point it's trying to make that's your problem. Everyone isn't criticising it because they are trying to justify their own irresponsibility. They are doing so because it's a shit ad that doesn't make sense
While the advertisement labels itself as a 'slow down speeding is bad' advertisement, it's more about targeting young male drivers of a certain attitude who may be unnecessarily reckless in their driving habits. It's logic is not that hard to see.

*Young males who take unnecessary risks because they think they are hot shit drivers, unnecessarily increasing the danger to other road users and pedestrians, are idiots who deserve the ridicule or their peers and others in the community*

Not that hard to understand.

7th Sign

HSC
I found this on the new in relation to my videos I tried to post but they have been taken down due to copy right...

Graphic crash ads may be scrapped
Ad on the horrific results of drink-driving Graphic tv ads that don't stint on the blood and gore of car crashes could be pulled in Northern Ireland

It follows Australian research which shows that a diet of scary video games and violent films have desensitised young men to horror.

Environment minister Arlene Foster is to review the value of the ads which cost thousands of pounds to make.

The ads, made by Belfast company Lyle Bailie International, are also shown in the Republic, Italy and Israel.

"I don't want to give out the message that I don't think these advertisements have been effective," Mrs Foster said.

"The questions I'll be asking are, are they still doing their job?"

The rethink follows a change of approach in Australia where the latest campaign aims to embarrass rather than shock young male drivers.

The New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority commissioned research which showed that the target of the ads - young drivers aged between 17 and 24 - might not react to horrific ads as they are used to watching violent films and video games.

Lyle Bailie International has won several awards for its work. In the past, it has defended the graphic nature of the advertisements, given the ad-literate, cynical audience of 17 to 25-year-olds.

One ad, Shame, shows a car with a drunken driver at the wheel. The vehicle crashes through a fence, killing a child playing football in his garden.

Research has shown the ads have produced the highest ever seat-belt wearing rate in Northern Ireland, the company has said.

The review of road safety ads comes as the Republic prepares to change its laws, allowing drivers to drive 20 km per hour faster on dual carriageways. The speed limit will increase from 100 kmh to 120 kmh.

The government said the decision was for safety reasons.

In the past four days, 11 people have died on the Republic's roads. One was a 16-year-old youth who "borrowed" a family friend's car.

So far this year, 222 people have died on Ireland's roads.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Bos is being fucked up. I said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand perfectly, but shit like turning right across a motorcyclist is alot more dangerous than spinning your wheels off the lights. I'd seriously like you to elaborate on the dangers of burnouts, and drifting in an unpopulated area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)