non-award entry (1 Viewer)

HSC
hm i was reading about this, i didn't get the UAI i need to get into any courses i want at maquarie and i heard this can get my into the course i want if i do well? Does anyone here do it, or know alot about it, any information would be good. Thankyou

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
first you will need to be clear of what course you want to do, it will then be easier to explain how you can get into it.

Generally, If you do another degree that you have the uai for and if your good enough you can get into your desired degree later. They will consider 1/2 uai and 1/2 uni marks on first year.

That prob didnt help much. you need to give more details.

b_d8

Smurfette
HSC
I'm interested too
Say i wanted to do Telecommunications Eng. wich has the UAI cut-off of 91 (or there abouts)... and my UAI is not high enough to get into Telecommunications Eng. Would i be able to get into it by first doing this Non-Award Program?
How much does it cost?

Thanks for the help

doe

HSC
N/A
non award is when you do some units that the uni thinks is relevant to the course you want to get into. if you do well enough (i think get credit or above), and theres places in the course, they let you enroll next semester/year. you can't hecs non award units so it costs a bit.

your best bet would be to call the Student Enquiry Service (aka SES- www.student.mq.edu.au) who can tell you how much it will be and the details, or poke around the handbook www.handbook.mq.edu.au

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
My friend did Non-Awards this year, and was told that if you're marks are good enough (P), then you would be considered for either a BA or BA of Education, but those are the only two courses. So if you wanted to do your tel comm, you'd have to do a year of Non-Award and then another year of BA and pass everything to get into Tel Comm in your third year

... well, thats the impression I'm under at least, from my friend. There seems to be a lot of screwing around with a Non-Award. Depending on what your UAI is, I'd select a course that is in some way related to Tel comm that you got enough for and pass every subject and then try and transfer to tel comm in your second year.

Oh, and you have to pay upfront... my friend paid about $4000 a semester.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i was talking to ppl and the fee depends on how many subjects u study per semester

from what i hear they advise u to study part time and do 2 subjects at $2200 a semester...obviously takes longer, but it all depends on what u wanna do

u have until the 25/1/05 to apply and u can turn up to macq uni advisory day

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
That prob didnt help much. you need to give more details.

oh ok well this is my problem

i got a UAI of 60.65 and i wanted to get into 'B of Arts,' 'B Social Science' or 'B Arts in Media and Cultural Studies' all of them have a 2004 UAI Cut-Off of 86.00-86.35

so yeah i'm pretty dissapointed, but I have been told about this non-award program that Maquarie Uni offers.

From what i know so far (if this is right) you do units and if you get a gpa average of 2.5 or higher then you are considered for the course you want.

is this correct?

would this be of much use to me?

thanks in advance

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
ok non awards is...
doing 2 subjects a semester that you can get into without pre-reqs.... then after a year if you have a better average than P... you get into BA.... after a semester of BA you can transfer into another course if your gpa is high enough....

non awards is like 60 uai i think....not 100% sure though....
you would be able to juggle a job with 2 subjects as well... so get your rents to fork it out or something and pay em back...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
does any1 know when the 2005 uais for the courses come out?

the 2005 uai cut offs are released when the offers are released!! hopefully it will be like last year where someone found out the cut off's a day in advance...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
damn why dont i know these things.lol i for some reason thought they realise the cutoffs b4 they offer any1 a course

dont tell me why

dre

HSC
non award 2005

im going to do non award study...the exploring early childhood education. i'm going to do 2 subjects per semester and if i get pass or over then i will be hopefully accepted for first year in 2006. which is cool with me because im already young for my grade. it will cost my mum $5100 for the whole of 2005. the uai for this is 50 and over. i got way over that so hopefully im in.
the great thing is there is no difference between uni students and non award students theres no big classroom that we only have to go to or labels saying non award students so i think its great.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Orange Juice said:
after a year if you have a better average than P... you get into BA.... after a semester of BA you can transfer into another course if your gpa is high enough....
After all that, when you transfer into the course you actually wanted to do (engineering, science, whatever...), do the credit points from non-award count towards your degree?

dre

HSC
Non Award

yes they do...are there any ppl here that have applied for non award for this year? if so wat are u guys doing?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What he said.

On top of that, i can lay claim to having a bludgier timetable than NA students during Sem 2 of my BA spending a whopping 6 hours at uni all up a week, during one day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)