non-award study (1 Viewer)

deluded

has anyone done this to get into a degree?

i'm considering doing it if i don't get in, but i have a few questions

would you recommend doing it over 6 months or a year?

and does it mean your degree is cut shorter because your 12 credit points coutn towards it?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i know some guys from high school who didnt get a high uai and chose to do non award. They all seemed to do it for 1 semester (6 months), so I'd assume that's the better option? They all went into things like early childhood education etc.

In regards to degree being cut shorter, I'm not too sure, but I'm under the impression that "non-award" means you aren't awarded any credit points for doing the unit?

deluded

i want to do it to get into a ba or ba (psych).
is the full time workload in a ba 9 credit points or 12?

in the non-award handbook it says the credit points count towards your degree.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
The funny thing is ; a total stranger sat next to me in one of the lectures (i think it was ACST101) - after the lecture finished, he ask me what i was doing..blah..blah
then he told me he was doing a non-award program, BUT hoping to do acturial studies+applied finance. I was like...yeah...good luck. :eek:

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
hey a friend of mine is doing non awards now
she got a 2 cr last sem and well who knows this sem
but when she went to go ask about how she would transfer in they told her she needed apply through uac
any ideas?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
jezzmo said:
there are non-awards students who have gone on to do double law degrees and get distinctions etc.
I believe that UAI cut-offs arnt just an idication of the demand of the course; but if you dont get it, or somewhat close to it, its probably because its beyond the abilities of the student.

Perhaps it would be unlikely for student to go into a double law degree and achieve D averages. But it is possible i guess.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
of course it's possible, some people 'bloom' at uni and really begin to learn things well. i agree sometimes uai = ability, not just demand.

DELUDED
as for the full time load of ba as asked above, from what i understand -
in any course you can do 9 or 12 cp and be classed as full time. but to get your degree done in the minimum time you should do 12cp per semester.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
jezzmo said:
there are non-awards students who have gone on to do double law degrees and get distinctions etc.

there are also non-awards students who have gone on to repair tyres and clean toilets at retirement villages.
This is gold!

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Im doing non-awards over two semsters, and the workload is nothing compared to hsc.
bear in mind that it costs roughly twice as much as the average degree, and you only need up saving half a year over repeating at school anyway if you do it over 2 semsters
my neibhour works at uni for the non-award program, and she says that while the units that we do this year counts toward our total CP, it doesnt count towards our
CPA. doesnt seem to make sense to me :rolleyes:
anyone have any ideas?

deluded

twice as much as a degree?
going by the subjects i have in mind, it's going to cost 4-5K,,definitely no more than 5.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
deluded said:
twice as much as a degree?
going by the subjects i have in mind, it's going to cost 4-5K,,definitely no more than 5.
which is what it would cost with hecs per year, but you are only doing half of what a fulltime student does

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
The funny thing is ; a total stranger sat next to me in one of the lectures (i think it was ACST101) - after the lecture finished, he ask me what i was doing..blah..blah
then he told me he was doing a non-award program, BUT hoping to do acturial studies+applied finance. I was like...yeah...good luck. :eek:
There was a girl in my law tute last semester who had started out doing non-award but is now doing arts/law majoring in philosophy.

She screwed up her HSC, got 62 or something, and clawed back from there. She's in 3rd year and doing first year law subjects but she's done a heap of arts subjects already. In the law tute she seemed like one of the harder working students too. I have no doubt she easily passed that subject (Jurisprudence).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, as i said before, of course its posbbile to claw yourself back...
Maybe it doesnt apply if you've totally stuffed up in HSC, but as i said, UAI is usually in terms of the requirements of a persons ability...but hey, i mean, if you can struggle through and do alright, well done. :)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
deluded said:
would you recommend doing it over 6 months or a year?

i don't do non award but i say you should do it over a semester. that way you'll know what to expect of a full time workload...

a friend of mine spread it over 2 semester, thats 2 subejcts per semester, and was shocked by the difference of the workload from part time to full time...

dre

HSC
non award study

i am most probably doing non award study,
could some1 please tell me how many days a week would i go to uni if i spread it over 2 semesters next year? and also being a part time non award student do i get the same things as a normal part time uni student for example youth allowance?

thanks guys

televators

HSC
to the jackass who is saying UAI = ability, stop living out of your ass- the HSC is nothing but a massive memory test in all subjects (yes, even english now too!)- that does not credit anyone's intellectual ability- memorising and regurgitating pointless facts- this is all that is required to obtain a high UAI, not intellectual capacity. There are literally 1000's of HSC students who do this- not knowing any skills but memorising. This is exactly why people doing non-award study can achieve distinction averages in Law in the end.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
televators said:
to the jackass who is saying UAI = ability, stop living out of your ass- the HSC is nothing but a massive memory test in all subjects
I guess your referring to me;

A game of stats, yes - but a memory test .. please ....every person has differnt abilities in recalling information and solving complex maths problems.
televators said:
(yes, even english now too!)- that does not credit anyone's intellectual ability- memorising and regurgitating pointless facts- this is all that is required to obtain a high UAI, not intellectual capacity.
Yes, im assuming you think work ethics, study habits and rountines do are not credidable in determining good marks and high UAI's. Just memory aye ?
televators said:
There are literally 1000's of HSC students who do this- not knowing any skills but memorising. This is exactly why people doing non-award study can achieve distinction averages in Law in the end.
So obviously they didnt have the ability in the HSC, but then developed/extended it in UNI to acheive those distinctions ?

Or did they just happen to start using their memories ?

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
how many days you are at uni depends on the timetable of your classes...
so you could be there 2 days to 5 days...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
jezzmo said:
I was very close to doing non-awards, simply because i did extremely little work pretty much throughout my secondary schooling life. I was lucky enough to be able to memorise hordes of information in the morning of each exam (i had summarised subject notes to about 1-2 A4 pages per sub), and although at the time of the exam i had barely bothered to try and understand any concepts, simply recalling slabs of information was enough to get a substandard but sufficient uai.

put simply, i held the HSC with no importance and had no interest in working for a good mark. this was the same with several of my friends (who went on to do non-awards and passed). i still have to improve my work ethic somewhat, but my HSC results certainly had no bearing on my uni ability.

Yeah, it also depends on the subjects you do - e,g if you do say, economics or legal studies (not sure, i didnt do them?), you can retain lots of definitions - but not in all cases.... hence why i beleive it falls back on ability..
Also, when i said "its a stats game" - i was referring to "leeching" off students who are intellectually brighter than you by being in their classes (i.e, being pulled up)..i know its happen to me - and it surely doesnt mean you displayed brillant ability like ur mates, NOR does it mean u can hold more information...

Dont forget, half of your marks are already obtained before walking into the HSC exam room - so memory doesnt earn someone 99UAI rather, yes, a person's study habits/ethics. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)