• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

non-award study (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
work ethics and study habits have absolutely nothing to do with intellect- there's people i know that have great study routines and 'ethics' or whatever- and still flunk exams miserably- i really feel sorry for those guys- im not saying that ppl who are good at memorising are necessarily dumb, but there's a damn good potential out there for people to rort the system into higher courses- like you probably studied your arse off and know what you're talking about, but there's many who get that high UAI, and then drop out first year cos it doesnt meet their realistic ability, am I right?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
unfortunately, first year is a lot of memory work as well. i think the people who would drop out are those who went to uni thinking they could cruise.

there are also, unfortunately, people who study so much but never get the marks they deserve as televators said. i really think they deserve more for their effort.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
televators said:
work ethics and study habits have absolutely nothing to do with intellect- there's people i know that have great study routines and 'ethics' or whatever- and still flunk exams miserably- i really feel sorry for those guys- im not saying that ppl who are good at memorising are necessarily dumb, but there's a damn good potential out there for people to rort the system into higher courses- like you probably studied your arse off and know what you're talking about, but there's many who get that high UAI, and then drop out first year cos it doesnt meet their realistic ability, am I right?
I agree with that - very easy to rort the system , but still, we cant take the credit away from the hard workers (high uai acheivers) and label them as memorizers.
Yes, some dropout too - maybe because what their UAI was, was above their ability to perform at uni. Hence, rorting the system. But hey, after all, there is many backdoors and side-entrances to where you want to go in life. :)

iambored said:
unfortunately, first year is a lot of memory work as well. i think the people who would drop out are those who went to uni thinking they could cruise.
Yes - lol, so the key is just to memorize everfing aye ;)
iambored said:
there are also, unfortunately, people who study so much but never get the marks they deserve as televators said. i really think they deserve more for their effort.
Yeah, think we all been there :(

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
hmmm ok just a question regarding this..
my aim is to do early childhood education at mq which had an 81 uai cutoff.. i think ill prob get around 80 or high 70s for my uai but like most education courses itll probably increase..
if i dont get the uai to get in.. which pathway should i take..
a) ive applied for childrens services at tafe.. after doing that for a year and a half you get entry into ece @ mq
b) im doing a certificate in croatian which gets like 12 credit points or something and entry into uni.. just do that and work during the daytime? [im doing it regardless of whether i go to do a degree mq/another uni/ or a dip at tafe]
c) non award study.. the more expensive alternative
d) go to uws then transfer (i wouldnt mind going there but penrith is so far to travel like every day :()
e) give up and be a bum
lol
cuz like.. ive wanted to be a kindy-yr 2 teacher for ages and i like topped exploring early childhood and came 3rd in community and family studies.. i tend to do well in them because i find it interesting but its stupid compulsary subjects like english thatll bring me wayy down uai wise.. but yeh i feel like ive got too many options and i dont know which one is the best?
maybe i should figure this all out after december 18th.. :|

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hmm i say get in with the croatian, you'll be doing it anyway regardless so why not?

second i'd say do the tafe, because if uws is too far there's no point when you can go to tafe and just transfer anyway. or otherwise non-award and you can combine croatian with that. (i if knew more about how exactly non award works and how language application works i'd be more help because i'd know the differences between the twO)

i hope you're suprised with your uai, then you don't have to worry about this stuff. think about it properly after you get the uai.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
dre said:
i am most probably doing non award study,
could some1 please tell me how many days a week would i go to uni if i spread it over 2 semesters next year? and also being a part time non award student do i get the same things as a normal part time uni student for example youth allowance?

thanks guys
it depends on the units you choose...from 2 days to 5 days.
you are considered as a part-time student, im not sure about youth allowance but you get charged as an adult on most things....costs me 4 bucks to get to the city now, for example :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)