North Sydney Girls High School vs. Hornsby Girls High School (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate. Don't generalise girls from one school, and especially don't generalise by saying that they are 'more slutty and of nuisance'. Come on.

We're discussing academic performance/potential, not how good looking they are.
Tend. Some of them are heaps good people.

On an academic note, go to NSG, better faculty for maths/science.

v1

HSC
Hey!
I'm currently in Year 10, and I have gotten into both NSGHS and HGHS and I don't know which school to go to!!! ><
I think I want to go to NSGHS more, but it's nearly an hour's travel one way (so around about 2 hrs in total) and also I come from a normal non-selective school and I don't know whether or not it will be too hard for me to catch up to the rest of my grade and also while I am not as keen to go to Hornsby Girls, its waayy closer in terms of travel and it might be easier for me to catch to the rest of the grade. I am in the top 20 in my school though (don't know the actual rank though) but I don't know if that will be good enough for both these schools. Honestly, I don't really care about the whole "prestige" of going to a higher school, but I just want to get a good atar (hopefully above 98.5 or if I am lucky, 99)
Also, if this helps, the subjects I chose for next year are:
Maths Extension 1
English Extension 1
Chem
Physics
Jap Continuers

So.... which school do you people think would be a better choice for me?

Thanks!! :)
if you really want to change schools its your choice, i think HGHS are stronger at humanities while NSGHS are better at the sciences,
but if u have really close friends at your current school you could consider staying, i didn't change to selective and i got 99+ so its possible
and i know a m8 who went to NSBHS for a week and went back to his non-selective school and ended up 99.85 dux

nifkeh

HSC
also I come from a normal non-selective school and I don't know whether or not it will be too hard for me to catch up to the rest of my grade
hey :) it won't, in fact most of the people who came from non selective in my school in year 11 are doing fine

and also while I am not as keen to go to Hornsby Girls, its waayy closer in terms of travel and it might be easier for me to catch to the rest of the grade.
I am not trying to burst your bubble, tbh you need to stop thinking about how hard it is to 'catch up'. I'm going to keep it real, everyone starts as equal in year 11, and in year 12. Some other non-selective girls new to the school may be better than you, some current students will be worse. The reality is you have the same, equal opportunities as they do and it is whether you can exert your potential not whether you can 'catch up' or not. If you want some pointers about studying, it's more about being consistently prepared throughout the year than studying in binges (such as in the lead up to exams) if you want to get to the top of the cohort, doesn't matter what school

I am in the top 20 in my school though (don't know the actual rank though) but I don't know if that will be good enough for both these schools. Honestly, I don't really care about the whole "prestige" of going to a higher school, but I just want to get a good atar (hopefully above 98.5 or if I am lucky, 99)
Since you got chosen by both schools, that means you are good enough to join them lol. And also just because you're new doesn't mean your atar is 'cut' off. you can still get a 98.5 or 99 like any other student

I'm doing all of your subs instead of Jap continuers. Those are achievable to get a 98.5 or 99 in if you are consistent and know your exam technique well. However I will say it is challenging (and it's not like the HSIE subs aren't challenging... they rely on a lot of preparation too). These are challenging in the sense that the pracs in science are unseen and might through you off a bit, but don't worry too much as long as you have the theory down.

So.... which school do you people think would be a better choice for me?
this is the choice you need to make. I'd say choose the one with the more appealing social life and overall seems to match your personality better. There's not much point choosing schools just based on distance alone especially in this case you are lucky enough to have two choices!

nifkeh

HSC
do you happen to know how to NSG English Faculty is? Cause apparently Hornsby's supposed to have the "best English faculty" out of all the selective schools.
bias here but SGHS always had a strong english cohort (and this is for advanced and maybe the other two extensions)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience this is not true. Talking from the perspective of a maths teacher at a selective high school, many students who come in year 11 are underprepared in comparison with the rest of the year. In normal schools, much of the content is taught at only a rudimentary level. But the biggest difference is the lack of exposure to higher order problem solving questions at many non-selective schools. There are many exceptions to this but on average, the typical new year 11 student is weaker (or less developed) mathematically than the typical student who has been there throughout the junior school. And I'm afraid many DO have to spend time catching up.
I wouldn't say MANY - due to the tutoring factor.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
hey :) it won't, in fact most of the people who came from non selective in my school in year 11 are doing fine

I am not trying to burst your bubble, tbh you need to stop thinking about how hard it is to 'catch up'. I'm going to keep it real, everyone starts as equal in year 11, and in year 12. Some other non-selective girls new to the school may be better than you, some current students will be worse. The reality is you have the same, equal opportunities as they do and it is whether you can exert your potential not whether you can 'catch up' or not. If you want some pointers about studying, it's more about being consistently prepared throughout the year than studying in binges (such as in the lead up to exams) if you want to get to the top of the cohort, doesn't matter what school
As a person who moved to a new school in Year 11, I have to agree with this.

Some current students may have slacked off since Year 6 and so, they might be worse or MUCH worse than you.

And I think the trend is that - many new students tend to excel in Year 11 and Year 12 because they work harder [they feel as though they are behind so this drives + motivates them].

In many cases, they tend to become above average within the school and some of them - even among the top ranks in some or most of their subjects.

Of course, it's hard to beat the very top 'established' students who work hard too (but hey, they made it to the school in Year 6 so obviously they are more naturally gifted) - but nothing can stop you from being among the top students if you put in the work.

This is how I think of it - While the Year 6 Selective Test rewards the more naturally gifted and talented students, the HSC rewards both the more hard working students and naturally gifted students. In fact, probably more so those with the work ethic.

As for choosing a school, having travelled long distances to and from school from basically since Year 7 to Year 12 (it's been painful and sleep depriving) - I think you should seriously take into consideration of the easier travel route.

HSC
do you happen to know how to NSG English Faculty is? Cause apparently Hornsby's supposed to have the "best English faculty" out of all the selective schools.
NSG's English faculty is okay, the teachers/cohort are probably similar to any other top selective school.
Just a warning, they do have many weird assessment tasks for Belonging and Mod C...

Hey, mylifesmelody! I also received an offer to NSGHS, and am tossing up between NSGHS and SGHS. I like NSGHS more but SGHS is closer to my house (by around 10-15 mins each way).

I'm also unsure of what subjects to do. Does anyone know which 2 subjects each school does best in out of physics, economics and modern history? So stressed because we need to make the decision by tomorrow! D:
NSG is really strong for Modern History, the teachers are really great from what I've heard. Physics and economics are probably not as good however.

I suggest looking through their annual reports and visiting each school. :)
+1

Tend. Some of them are heaps good people.

On an academic note, go to NSG, better faculty for maths/science.
NSG's maths faculty is heaps good. They had about 80% b6s for 4U last year iirc. Not sure about science though

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
NSG is really strong for Modern History, the teachers are really great from what I've heard. Physics and economics are probably not as good however.
+1

NSGHS is better at humanities (speaking from experience) as a lot of the science assessments are extremely difficult, in comparison to what is done in class. The teachers for science are often a hit and miss, especially with chem.

In terms of strength, I reckon its:
modern > eco > phys

Boys perform notoriously better than girls at Physics. NSG's Physics results are the best of all the girls schools. I can guarantee they have outstanding Physics teachers.

In Chemistry however they perform as well as the boys. And I was wrong about Biology earlier - they are the best performing of all selective schools in Biology.

In Economics they are merely average amongst the Selective schools - not good or bad.
lol, some of the really good teachers might get replaced next year :( so there might not be any guarantee the physics teachers are all outstanding

moonbear129

HSC
sorry this is such a stupid question but im new here and i can't figure out how to post my own thread..? please help! thanks

moocow920

HSC
I don't know much about either school but I moved schools for Yr 11 and travelled an hour each way and it got very tiring and I absolutely hated it. It really starts to wear on you, I personally found

Mummy mermaid

HSC
N/A
I have done a lot of research into what high school I wil send my child.at the moment she is top of the grade in a private school at the beginning of year 5. She is going to tutoring college to try and get a year 7 scholarship. At the tutoring college I here the teachers telling Asian parents there " try and pay $200 week for 50 weeks to do selective school tutoring and your child will get into AN ELITE school. All the hype is of all Asians and Indians to get their child into a public school? I spoke to my Asian neighbour and he started talking about this school named james ruse is the best school as they get the best marks in NSW. HE COMMENTS THAT ALL CHINESE ARE TALKING ABOUT IT.I tell him the people get in are sending their kids to tutoring at 8 years old, have no life,play no sport, are locked in their room all weekend by force by their parents and are told constantly being told they HAVE to beat the parents friends kid for family honor, the kids grows up feeling adequate, being told what career path his parents want him/ her to do.and has no choice over his life choices whatsoever. They are also in the top suicide rate.the parents never made it in their homeland and come to australia as labourers, poor Asian and Indian people who can't or even worse, won't, pay their child to go to a good private school.selective schools are for poor immigrant's kids and everyone knows it.its not an elite school, I have even been in to james ruse in person and asked the principle if they do exactly the same work as other non selective high school and the answer was yes they do same work as normal high schools.so why are Asian parents sending their kids to tutoring NAND studying their whole child good just to get into a high school that does the same? The only diference is they are made to do farming there lol. The Asian parents should just send their kids to the normal highs school.james ruse looks very run down and old and also even has an electricity transformer next door that is linked to cancers.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Pls. Do a bit of research first. You have essentially presented the typical sterotypes. Its actually not as bad as you have made out of it.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I have done a lot of research into what high school I wil send my child.at the moment she is top of the grade in a private school at the beginning of year 5. She is going to tutoring college to try and get a year 7 scholarship. At the tutoring college I here the teachers telling Asian parents there " try and pay $200 week for 50 weeks to do selective school tutoring and your child will get into AN ELITE school. All the hype is of all Asians and Indians to get their child into a public school? I spoke to my Asian neighbour and he started talking about this school named james ruse is the best school as they get the best marks in NSW. HE COMMENTS THAT ALL CHINESE ARE TALKING ABOUT IT.I tell him the people get in are sending their kids to tutoring at 8 years old, have no life,play no sport, are locked in their room all weekend by force by their parents and are told constantly being told they HAVE to beat the parents friends kid for family honor, the kids grows up feeling adequate, being told what career path his parents want him/ her to do.and has no choice over his life choices whatsoever. They are also in the top suicide rate.the parents never made it in their homeland and come to australia as labourers, poor Asian and Indian people who can't or even worse, won't, pay their child to go to a good private school.selective schools are for poor immigrant's kids and everyone knows it.its not an elite school, I have even been in to james ruse in person and asked the principle if they do exactly the same work as other non selective high school and the answer was yes they do same work as normal high schools.so why are Asian parents sending their kids to tutoring NAND studying their whole child good just to get into a high school that does the same? The only diference is they are made to do farming there lol. The Asian parents should just send their kids to the normal highs school.james ruse looks very run down and old and also even has an electricity transformer next door that is linked to cancers.

unless you have actually been to a selective school, these presumptions have been very blindly made. its a stupid misconception a lot of asian kids at selective schools are controlled by their parents. and unless you are an asian parent who did make the sacrifice to come to australia so their kids can have a better life, i don't believe you are in a position to say they "never made it in their homeland". i know my parents weren't farm labourers, etc., before they immigrated and had relatively successful positions in comparison to their current job.

plz redo some of your "research" before feed on the stereotypes that have already been made about asians parents + asians in selective schools, because not all the stories are the same, there's a lot of complexity within each story and it's rather ignorant to make such a sweeping generalisation.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

unless you have actually been to a selective school, these presumptions have been very blindly made. its a stupid misconception a lot of asian kids at selective schools are controlled by their parents. and unless you are an asian parent who did make the sacrifice to come to australia so their kids can have a better life, i don't believe you are in a position to say they "never made it in their homeland". i know my parents weren't farm labourers, etc., before they immigrated and had relatively successful positions in comparison to their current job.

plz redo some of your "research" before feed on the stereotypes that have already been made about asians parents + asians in selective schools, because not all the stories are the same, there's a lot of complexity within each story and it's rather ignorant to make such a sweeping generalisation.
Obvious troll is obvious, just ignore this clown.

sharrra

HSC
N/A
hi, id like to know what non selective school you had gone to, and how you had gotten into both hs.

HSC
Typical non-selective parents perspective on selective kids... sad to see how delusioned australia is. We are all socially capable people, the only difference is that we attend a more competitive academic environment for school... no need to blindly assume we're all robots just because we value education

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
ignore all the whatever is above
when I put my options for selective test
(because it really doesn't make a difference* provided
you can work hard)
*between mentioned schools

Whichever is more convenient. I put fort st because it was closest (one bus) but got into my second option (2 bus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)