• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Not allowed to do 10u Y12 (1 Viewer)

Frost1

HSC
For background I am in year 10, go to a small private school (45- 50 kids in my grade) and have to choose my subjects now so they can do the lines. At the start of this year I got a new principal and She is not allowing us to do 10u in year 12. Correct me if I am wrong in anything I say.

Firstly, I wanted to say I am not arguing with anyone and I don’t have a preference.

I understand that with 12 u it leave you with 2u to fall back on in case you perform poorly on an exam. This is good for a struggling student. However after prelim/y11 I perform well wouldn’t it be more effective?
however from the experience of my brother and my interpretation I’d prefer 10 u as I would have 120 hours extra study (each unit is 60 hours so a course is usually 120 hours) plus the study involved with the subject. Isn’t this why people accelerate a subject for more time?

I argued that it is a NESA requirement for a min of 10 u not the school so we can (may be wrong) and that they have down that for a reason but I get instantly shut down

In addition, one issue with my school and its size is the low variety in course options. I have a few subjects in mind but not enough to meet the applications requirement of 6 ‘preferences’ and 3 reserves. They have informed us that once with choose and get our in relation to the lines, we are stuck with the subject for the whole duration. What if I end up hating a subject?

last issue I had was when asking questions I asked about free periods as in my brothers case they only got free periods if they had dropped a subject. She responded scoffs* “Hell no, we know what you do during your free”ex students want are you guys doing during your frees!? Haha.
The subjects I had in mind were
adv maths
Adv English
Eco
Business
Enterprise computing (new course for IPT, we are the 2nd year group to go throw it)
and after that I am abit stumped. I was Planning on doing a filler subject like Ancient or modern. I wasn’t planing on doing any sciences as I have never really had a passion for it.

I was thinking of doing ext1 math and dropping down to 11 u since they are allowing that.

apologies for the extensive rant. Thought id run it by people smart then me :)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
OP, the best approach is on your hands. If you think it will be better to do 12 units, then go for it and play with the rules. If you don't want to to 12 units but 10 instead, the best approach that you probably can do is to talk to the teacher that's doing the one subject that you don't want to do in HSC, and set expectations that you won't be putting in any effort to the subject. That's because if you bottomed at the cohort and the external (the actual HSC exam), it will not influence the grades of the other students since you are an outlier.

I was in a similar position to you when I was doing my HSC when my school decided to do 12 units compulsory and argue that (it's to give a chance for all of the students). Eventually, you have to decide on which teacher to piss off if you want to study like 10 units. Otherwise, you might consider to transfer before your HSC year starts.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, if you wanted to do those Humanities subjects just go for it. I did legal studies and modern history and I am down with it. Remember to focus on the contents and argument development.

iloveeggs

HSC
id either do what [ ] suggested to do and not care about that one subject or like you said take e1 math and drop e1 in y12. its screwed up they need you to do 12u, my school has the same thing but i can drop to 10u in y12. see if you can arrange dropping to 10u in y12 as a compromise or something like that. also equally as f'd up that they wont let you choose to have free periods for the reason they cited and they are not letting you switch subjects once they've been chosen, especially given a small range of options.

idk about you but im a big of a karen myself and id make a fuss in school abt this. yes schools can set rules regarding things like this but ultimately they've gone beyond what nesa guidelines are and you could potentially question that. if you feel like negotiation is somewhat possible - which it could be bc there are like 50 of you lol - maybe bring a bunch of ppl (parents, other students) and talk this out.

Frost1

HSC
OP, the best approach is on your hands. If you think it will be better to do 12 units, then go for it and play with the rules. If you don't want to to 12 units but 10 instead, the best approach that you probably can do is to talk to the teacher that's doing the one subject that you don't want to do in HSC, and set expectations that you won't be putting in any effort to the subject. That's because if you bottomed at the cohort and the external (the actual HSC exam), it will not influence the grades of the other students since you are an outlier.

I was in a similar position to you when I was doing my HSC when my school decided to do 12 units compulsory and argue that (it's to give a chance for all of the students). Eventually, you have to decide on which teacher to piss off if you want to study like 10 units. Otherwise, you might consider to transfer before your HSC year starts.
Thank you for your reply! I want to try and get 10u b4 going to that extent but this is a very good suggestion. It seems like our principal won’t budge, I still got time though so I will see how it goes, again appreciate you.

Frost1

HSC
id either do what [ ] suggested to do and not care about that one subject or like you said take e1 math and drop e1 in y12. its screwed up they need you to do 12u, my school has the same thing but i can drop to 10u in y12. see if you can arrange dropping to 10u in y12 as a compromise or something like that. also equally as f'd up that they wont let you choose to have free periods for the reason they cited and they are not letting you switch subjects once they've been chosen, especially given a small range of options.

idk about you but im a big of a karen myself and id make a fuss in school abt this. yes schools can set rules regarding things like this but ultimately they've gone beyond what nesa guidelines are and you could potentially question that. if you feel like negotiation is somewhat possible - which it could be bc there are like 50 of you lol - maybe bring a bunch of ppl (parents, other students) and talk this out.
Thank you for the reply! I agree it is abit of bs. They are also being rude about it, “tough luck” “I don’t care” “Free periods are fir low atar” “you already have plenty of time you just procrastinate” just completely avoiding the topic.
again appreciate you bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)