Not studying ecos till after my modernhistory exam! (1 Viewer)

TastesGoodBut

who else isnt studying till the week and half they have before it...

i have eng ext in between but im only gonna study one and half days max for that...

i admit i did type up to generic answers to ecenomic problem questions - ie inflation and unemp

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
me, i hav like 8days break before exams. think thats enough time to revise whole subect? i dont have any "generic answers"

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I think coroneos means "The" and I'm only being nit-picky about typing errors because I'm feeling bitchy. It's the greatest justification for everything.

And I have to agree - it's about knowing the relationships in your head and knowing how each policy actually functions ... and WHY it does it. There's no point learning that the BOP = O; if you're not going to be able to reasonably explain it. And if you know you're stuff you'll realise more and more starts pouring out in the actual exam.

Atleast I hope it does.

I've done essay plans (dont ever believe in writing complete essays) and though they seem slight re-hashes of each other, it's the subtle varying angles you have to take that make the difference I reckon.

But this is all based on opinion - my opinion ... and at the moment that doesn't hold a lot of weight. And I have from Italian (4th) - so I'm not properly studying eco till then - I have plenty of other shite subjects to keep me pre-occupied. Cheerio!

And I do feel crabby.

malayz_angel

I have eco on the same day as history extension :(

But I don't think that's going to motivate me to study for eco any earlier. I also have from the English Ext exam on the 7th until the 12th (eco and history ext) like TastesGoodBut, however, I haven't even begun making plans for studying.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I had 4.5 days free before my eco exam last year and I didn't touch the subject until then. I kind of regret that because I think the time may have been slightly more relaxed and it may have been more organised studying otherwise. I did however at least have a relatively good grasp of the relationships in economics before then.

If you don't think you could probably pass the exam now with the information and understanding you've gleaned throughout the year, its probably not a good idea to leave it so late - you may still want to ask your teachers a lot of questions and you should have time to practice lots of essays and maybe write more notes - and of course, you want some time to relax! :D If you do have the burden of other subjects (e.g english/hist ext), at least spend some time now just *reading* over your eco notes or eco textbook so that you can refresh yourself a bit and you won't feel you have to start from scratch - it may also give you an idea of which areas you may need to focus on so you can better plan your study, or even start ahrassing teachers now! :D

HannieStar

I have eco and extension history the same day too! I am so pissed off!
I am not studying much for extension- its easy, so I can study the whole 8 days between modern and eco for eco:) Great. 8 days studying for eco- my fave subject(rolls eyes...)

eds

LO! at everyone
well lets see ..
i have
2u maths - mon
3u - wed
modern - thurs
then a good 13days or so to study for eco
nice timetables i have

kt san

Originally posted by coroneos
they key to ecos is to understand, and not to memorise.
despite how true that it...HSC really is testing ur memory more so than ur understanding...take english for examples....and japanese...and all the other subjects people take
memory plays a huge role in the HSC
for all those who learnt music from an early age and hence obtained a good memory
GOOD ON YA!!!!
:)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kt san
...HSC really is testing ur memory more so than ur understanding...
I agree in some light, there are certain subjects that it does become like a memory dump ... though I have to say Business Studies and Economics render themselves to greater "understanding" due to the fact you don't what focus you're going to have to draw. Particularly for short-answers. I mean you have stimulus material, how are you going to be able to memorise? Furthermore in Business Studies (I know this is off subject - but hey it backs up my point) the first extended response is wholly stimulus/hypothetical business based ... you can't memorise anything for that no matter how much you want to. Furthermore in Economics, I suppose you could have "generic" essay responses, but at the same time they can do something quite tricky ... I highly doubt that the 2002 Eco students had memorised an essay on Protection Policies in different economies, because yes though it's part of the syllabus ... it's not something "generic" you think of when you're doing essays to memorise.

I think that the HSC is to test (minus English maybe after the 2003 papers) the students who memorise and then those that actually apply, synthesise, analyse ... That they apply their memory and take what they've memorised in class and their study sessions until it's actually entrenched in their minds ... and then understand how to use it? Isn't that what differentiates the "good" students from the "better" and "far more able" candidates?

... And by that I'm making no claim to being a "better" student! I'd be happy with "a student who might happen to know what an economy is but we can't really tell due to her incoherency", but I can't wholly agree that the HSC is about memorising. I think it is only up to a certain degree ... particularly for humanities such as Economics and Business Studies, when it becomes about understanding it.

My little rant is over :). And I wasn't having a go at you even if it sounded like that, sorry! It's just ... I don't really believe in pre-prepared essays, and gets to me that people who don't have pre-prepared essays actually have to think as opposed to those that have them. And it takes too much energy to memorise a whole essay :p!

Bah, each to their own though.

HannieStar

I am not studying till after biology! I have like seven days to revise the whole thing!
Remember- do an essay on monetary policy, my teacher (who has picked it right every year for ages) thinks that will be one of the essay:)

kt san

argh
dun wanna study at all
probably gonna bludge for a week
then cram last min

monkey187

God
HSC
how do you write an entire essay on monetary policy!?

Is there enough to write about?

hk31

HSC
Originally posted by Harimau
And the problem is... Is anyone actually going to use the time effectively or be like me and study only in the last day?
i have a bad feeling i might bludge....until the day b4...

but i seriously hope not! i'm planning to start studying for eco this sunday....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)