Not understanding a single subject! (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
I've had an epiphany.
I realised in these holidays that I really haven't been able to grasp any of the subjects thoroughly. It's really worrying me when I open up a textbook, and everything is incomprehensible. Or when I refer to the syllabus dot points during study and none of it is understandable. It's gone to the point where I deter myself from studying because it makes me anxious and feel inadequate.
Yes, I know that if I don't study it will get worse, but no matter what I do, nothing seems to make sense. I try to debunk information but its all just a smattering of mess...Ahh. I feel defeated.

I hate this.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Help? D;

brendroid

HSC
Either find a better way of learning the course work - such as getting friends to help explain it or something - or perhaps consider that the HSC may not be for you.

Try the former for this year. Get friends to try and help you, 'kay?

t00l

HSC
I've had an epiphany.
I realised in these holidays that I really haven't been able to grasp any of the subjects thoroughly. It's really worrying me when I open up a textbook, and everything is incomprehensible. Or when I refer to the syllabus dot points during study and none of it is understandable. It's gone to the point where I deter myself from studying because it makes me anxious and feel inadequate.
Yes, I know that if I don't study it will get worse, but no matter what I do, nothing seems to make sense. I try to debunk information but its all just a smattering of mess...Ahh. I feel defeated.

I hate this.

try revising from year 10 work, just a quick refresher on all the work. then try looking at your yr 11 work again and see if youre able to understand then

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
The absolute best thing you can do is to talk to your teachers. Try also reading over the work and talking to other people about it, but this should be no substitute for talking to your teachers about this solvable problem :)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Yeah, well my friends are of similar caliber to me so it won't be much help :[ I guess it's not just the Prelims taking their toll on me, but I've also experienced these difficulties throughout school..I'm quite the slow learner you see.

TBH my teachers aren't so great...similar to my school. For example, in Chemistry, there are many incomprehensible concepts to me but when I ask my teacher to explain it in a different manner, he will just reiterate what he wrote on the board. I've tried the whole "self-teaching" method, but the textbook is just overwhelming....

or perhaps consider that the HSC may not be for you.
This thought has crossed my mind, but I just don't want to give up in the last 2 years of schooling. I cannot imagine doing anything besides going into Uni :<

Memi

HSC
N/A
Have you perhaps considered tutors? That's another option.
I've previously went to tutoring for maths but stopped recently because the work given was too difficult and the language barrier was unbearable. It was a group tutoring session so when I had queries, I'd have to queue for him which was a waste of time.
I've asked about transferring to a different tutor, but my parents either want me to go to his centre, or none. Dunno why

muzeikchun852

HSC
maybe u can buy a study guide instead of a textbook. study guide is much more brief than the detail textbook and pick up the concept quickly, if reading a textbook doesnt work for u. :):)

HSC
Uni Grad
I've had an epiphany.

I hate this.

I have the same feeling with you, in fact I have it today, especially when trying to go through Modern History, Legal Studies and English...
It seems like Maths is the only thing I want to study....

But anyhow, to help you out, I could recommend talking to teachers? Maybe even reviewing work that you've done before? Maybe take a walk to refresh your mind and then come back to the study room?

hscishard

HSC
Some people study better in certain peroids of the day, which unfortunately for me is 10pm.

Perhaps reading the textbook again in your "study peroid"?
Always take things slow, learning too much too quickly results in info overload.

Memi

HSC
N/A
I have the same feeling with you, in fact I have it today, especially when trying to go through Modern History, Legal Studies and English...
It seems like Maths is the only thing I want to study....

But anyhow, to help you out, I could recommend talking to teachers? Maybe even reviewing work that you've done before? Maybe take a walk to refresh your mind and then come back to the study room?
I'm glad I'm not alone. Same boat as you, but instead of Maths, its Japanese.
I think I'm going to review past work so I can build a strong foundation to work on for the new concepts...

Some people study better in certain peroids of the day, which unfortunately for me is 10pm.

Perhaps reading the textbook again in your "study peroid"?
Always take things slow, learning too much too quickly results in info overload.
Maybe that's the case for me, but I happen to find that any time of the day is not my study period .. Or maybe that's just because I have a lack of motivation? x]

maybe u can buy a study guide instead of a textbook. study guide is much more brief than the detail textbook and pick up the concept quickly, if reading a textbook doesnt work for u. :):)
Oh really? I never thought about that. Will browse them in the bookshop to see if they will suffice.

zxreth

HSC
honestly, the BEST thing to do would be to talk to your teacher about it. If that doesn't work then i'd begin trying to convince your parents into getting you a prviate tutor.

Lauchlan

HSC
I've had an epiphany.

I hate this.

i know u said its all you're subjects, but it would help to answer if u stated the subjects you're doing. maybe you're doing too demanding subjects, or the wrong sort.
or maybe you just need to refine to approach (most likely).
but still what are your subjects?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
dont worry too much, year 12 content is 100x better than yr 11.

on a serious note, get a tutor.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
+1 on iRuler's comment
id also advise getting a tutor for the subjects youre really struggling with, at the same time just go with a few friends to the library and try to get some of the basic concepts down pat. get them to explain it to you and go through some worked solutions with you
then at home, in a very relaxed environment in which you have no distractions, get out the syllabus and start going through the dot points. this SHOULD work, if not just get a tutor soon and go from there
youll be fine =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)