• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NOTEBOOK layout/organisation (1 Viewer)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Haha, I've got to organise this, rewrite my notes for this system and then start my homework. Far out, too much to do and I've been procrastinating like hell. :p

frostyy

HSC
the way i do it is in a a book.. say for bus studies.. i have my margin then on a page with a lot of writing i'll draw a second margin on the right bit bigger and sumerise in there help heaps so you dont have to rake through heaps of text to find the important facts

bored of sc

HSC
I have exercise books for every subject. For english and chemistry I have those folders with just plastic sleeves to put the syllabus and handouts in. For religion, pdhpe and music I have a larger binder folder to put my books and plastic sleeves for handouts in. And then there's maths, I use an art diary style grid book and have a plastic sleeve for any handouts (there's not many at all). And um, that's it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Help with organisation

locked.on said:
I use a filing cabinet so Idon't use manilla folders, but I suggest using it in a similar fashion.
A filling cabinet may be costly in terms of price and also space.

HSC
I've started doing this this year, so yes. It works for me.

SYLLABUS
My teacher gave me the syllabus for the topic, with little letters on the side marking it in order (e.g. 1.1 , 1.2). Everytime i started a new point, i wrote it in the margin, highlighting it blue. This makes it easier for me if i want to find a specific point.

PENS
I used three colours. Blue, red and black. Black is for the topic headings and for drawing lines on the page seperating information. Red is for normal headings which i wrote in uppercase. Blue is for normal writing.

HIGHLIGHTERS
HIGHLIGHTERS ARE THE BEST THING EVER. Seriously. Why use highlighters you ask? Number one, they make your page look more awesome and colourful. Number two, they LIFT the important information off the page, instead of reading through a page for the important bits. Number three, colour coding automatically lets you know what information is highlighted - example: things highlighted yellow are important definitions. Number four, it motivates me to write my notes, so i have a reason to highlight stuff. =D

Okay, i have 4 highlighters - blue, yellow, green and pink. Blue sucked, cuz it SOMETIMES went through my page, so ew. I still used it though. As i mentioned, i used blue to highlight the syllabus points and for drawing boxes around diagrams, charts etc.
I used pink to highlight important sentences.
Yellow and green were used together. For definitions, i highlighted the word yellow, and the meaning green.
I also used yellow to highlight important words, because yellow is awesome. The best highlighter colour ever.

--

hahah thats it. I think thats the longest post i've ever written on here. I feel so proud for contributing to this thread. =3

bored of sc

HSC
ZEROtheHERO said:
I've started doing this this year, so yes. It works for me.

SYLLABUS
My teacher gave me the syllabus for the topic, with little letters on the side marking it in order (e.g. 1.1 , 1.2). Everytime i started a new point, i wrote it in the margin, highlighting it blue. This makes it easier for me if i want to find a specific point.

PENS
I used three colours. Blue, red and black. Black is for the topic headings and for drawing lines on the page seperating information. Red is for normal headings which i wrote in uppercase. Blue is for normal writing.

HIGHLIGHTERS
HIGHLIGHTERS ARE THE BEST THING EVER. Seriously. Why use highlighters you ask? Number one, they make your page look more awesome and colourful. Number two, they LIFT the important information off the page, instead of reading through a page for the important bits. Number three, colour coding automatically lets you know what information is highlighted - example: things highlighted yellow are important definitions. Number four, it motivates me to write my notes, so i have a reason to highlight stuff. =D

Okay, i have 4 highlighters - blue, yellow, green and pink. Blue sucked, cuz it SOMETIMES went through my page, so ew. I still used it though. As i mentioned, i used blue to highlight the syllabus points and for drawing boxes around diagrams, charts etc.
I used pink to highlight important sentences.
Yellow and green were used together. For definitions, i highlighted the word yellow, and the meaning green.
I also used yellow to highlight important words, because yellow is awesome. The best highlighter colour ever.

--

hahah thats it. I think thats the longest post i've ever written on here. I feel so proud for contributing to this thread. =3
lol, highlighter fetish ;) nah, just for the record, I have 6 highlighters: blue, pink, green, yellow, orange and purple, they work really well, so yeah, i agree with you

Last edited:
HSC
bored of sc said:
lol, highlighter fetish ;) nah, just for the record, I have 6 highlighters: blue, pink, green, yellow, orange and purple, they work really well, so yeah, i agree with you
Aw, i want orange and purple, but i can make it with the colours i have so meh.

I also love Sharpies. I have 12 mini ones in every colour. =D

bored of sc

HSC
ZEROtheHERO said:
Aw, i want orange and purple, but i can make it with the colours i have so meh.

I also love Sharpies. I have 12 mini ones in every colour. =D
Idea: blue highlighter over pink gives purple.

Idea: pink highlighter over yellow gives orange.

HSC
Well, the way i organise is like this:

*I use a large binder/ring type folder with subject dividers and lose leaf papers inbetween.
*I have a small pocket at the end of the folder to keep my sheets in and everyday after school i spend about 5 mins just punching the holes, hilighting and putting them into their relevant subject.
*At the begining of each divider/subject i have the syllabus and then after that i have all the notes/ sheets , punched in, in the order that the teacheres give them to us.
*For my notes in class i have a heading of what topic it is and then a huge scribble of notes.
*A huge scribble is not effective for study, therefore when i get home i type up all the notes, with the syllabus as a guide, into folders etc and print them at school.
*In maths/physics i use a slightly different system in which i put all the notes and formulas at the front of the section and do all the exercises and stuff at the back so i can easily refer to the notes for reference.

I do believe that everyone has a unique way of setting that will work for them. Eg, my way may not work for everyone else so its best to devise your own system of doing things.

Hope i help....Good luck figuring out ur system!!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Highlighting is good, but too much highlighting just detracts you from the things that you actually need.

HSC
bored of sc said:

Rofl yeah, i figured that out. Sometimes it goes through the page, so seperate highlighters would be good.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:

Wouldn't that just make the text difficult to read?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)