Notebooks VS Binders (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
Which'd you choose and why?

:)

(i used to use notebooks but because my book was always a mess I moved to binders.. but i am only just getting used to them!)

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Due to the type of subjects I do, I always used to have issues with books. Mainly due to getting numerous handouts and readings which would just get ruined whilst sitting in a book. Hence I moved to binders; it allows me to store all of my readings from class and also keep them safe. I also use the display folders to store all loose leaflets etc., mainly due to the fact I have a 3 year old sister who loves to draw. u_u You should see my preliminary books, pretty rainbows, love hearts, stars, and princesses all mixed with my Ancient China notes, Romanov Notes, AOS notes. Mind you, it did make studying slightly more interesting. n_n

So yeah, I use binders. But I used a normal exercise book for general note taking whilst in class, then transfer all the notes into their respective binders / folders. Trying to be organised this year; and without all the colourful drawings.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Binders are convenient for me, I also use display folders for handouts and assignment tasks, I thought I needed about 2 at the start of the year, turns out I needed 3 more. On top, of that I carry around 4 personal textbooks in my bag a day, I have to travel about an hour to get to school, so try to find the lightest choice. It will do wonders for your spine.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Throughout Years 7-10 I used individual books for each subject.

Turning to a folder with loose sheets of paper in Year 11 (and now 12) was the best decision. So much easier, if I need to hand in work/show someone work I can just take the sheet out and continue working. Easy to hole punch paper thats given to me by teachers.

epicFAILx

HSC
Binders are convenient for me, I also use display folders for handouts and assignment tasks, I thought I needed about 2 at the start of the year, turns out I needed 3 more. On top, of that I carry around 4 personal textbooks in my bag a day, I have to travel about an hour to get to school, so try to find the lightest choice. It will do wonders for your spine.
I unfortunatley transfer all of my binders needed on the day along with my school laptop to and from school. It is really painful. Are there any alternatives?
(i was told that physics, math and biology books would need to be taken each day because you refer to past notes)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Have you tried carrying them outside of your bag? I already have a heavy enough bag, our school hasn't issued us textbooks as of yet.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
It depends on how many books you carry a day. I still use a notebook because the most I have in my bag is 3 notebooks, a display folder & usually an English novel.

I have other friends who have 5 books & 1 or 2 textbooks & they all use binders because it's more convenient for them.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It depends on how many books you carry a day. I still use a notebook because the most I have in my bag is 3 notebooks, a display folder & usually an English novel.

I have other friends who have 5 books & 1 or 2 textbooks & they all use binders because it's more convenient for them.

Sounds very heavy.

epicFAILx

HSC
Have you tried carrying them outside of your bag? I already have a heavy enough bag, our school hasn't issued us textbooks as of yet.
I have 6 subjects during the day. sometimes i have doubles which is okay so i can carry some folders but once or twice i have almost all subjects in one day :/
And we are also required to take the laptop EVERYDAY. so im not so sure what method is easier. I heard you can take a folder for all subjects. Like a homework folder almost and then transfer to designated folders at home. Im not so sure anymore. :/

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I just have loose leaf paper in a segmented folder. Easy to punch holes into class handouts. Only subject I have books for is maths. (A theory and a work book) Year 7-9 I had a book for each subject, Year 10 I did have books for everything, got my laptop typed almost everything and only had a maths and french book.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I bring 3-5 textbooks (personal ones) per day, 6 notebooks, lunch, two water bottles, pencil case. Binders would make the job much easier to carry around. Our school has limited lockers.

benji_10

HSC
Binders + loose leaf is so much more convenient. At the end of a unit, you just file away the loose leafs and start afresh. The sheets don't end up clogging up exercise books, and your bag is a bit lighter. BUT, it also kinda depends on what type of binder as well. 2 hole binders ruin the plastic sleeves very quickly, especially if you treat your folder badly. I went through 10 of them in a month. 4 ring binders are better for me cause the plastic sleeves don't break as easily.
Maths is the only subject for which I have an exercise book.

Laughable

HSC
Binders are cumbersome but more easy to organize with, it's a very good storage place for study notes and everything else too. 8)

snowyalice

HSC
I use mostly binders. One big folder which I carry around all day and 5 smaller ones which I move the sheets into after I have finished a topic. The only subject I don't use a folder for is music. 1. Because there is in hole punched music paper. 2. It doesn't really matter if it gets messy as all the notes I need are in a text book our teacher gave us. Folder are very practical because if I miss work, I won't have to leave a gap and then find out that gap is too big/small.

Gigacube

HSC
I don't have lockers at my school. No one uses the laptops, which are really netbooks, any more. It's too heavy to carry to school & back home. The laptops the year 9's get this year are so much better & they get the CS5 suite.

SammySummer

Banned
HSC
I personally use a binder for all the classes within my major, and notebooks for everything else. The binder helps me keep all those classes together and build on year by year, and the notebook is just so much lighter and more convienent for everything else. I

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)