Notes :s (1 Viewer)

HSC
Can you guys please tell me how you're making notes for the 2010 HSC? I need help!

My idea of making notes is to go topic by topic by the textbook. I have also been told that this is a waste and that I should make notes based on the syllabus and nothing more.

How are you guys doing it?

Eddykungfu

HSC
What I did at this stage was just summary notes on everything learnt.

Don't make them long!, Just follow the Syllabus and write a few dot points for each as "Trigger points".

You choose your trigger "Dot points" wisely, so that they will in effect, trigger a load of information which you have learnt (If not, go and learn it).

Then once you have got some summary points for each topic/syllabus pt, read through them all, and if one of the points doesn't recall anything/much, simlpy open your text book and learn it.

Reading out loud can help, as you are using more than one sense to learn.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Absolutely absolutely absolutely follow the syllabus, THIS IS YOUR BIBLE!

If you want good models look at some of the notes in the resources section to see how to structure them.

HSC
N/A
Totally recommend using dot points especially for the sciences.

There are many good books for sciences, which include DOT POINT and DOT POINT (multiple choice) and there are also the excel revision guides, that are now by syllabus dot points. But still utilise your textbook, they are much better to use when trying to understand the core concept.

If you are studying Economics, I recommend more general notes from the textbook and wide reading about the current economic climate and the dot points are quite fluffy and not very specific.

Cheers,

NewiJapper

HSC
For each of the science subjects at school we do our work in workbooks which has each syllabus point and we fill in the blanks and stuff and draw diagrams etc. Come revision time, we get fiven a booklet with each syllabus dot point and we make our own notes on it using our workbook we use in class. I find it quite effective, but for bio i just right it out over and over and over till i know it because there is so much theory haha :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Textbooks usually follow the syllabus in most cases anyway. :)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
You can't only rely on syllabus. You need to include any information that the teacher thinks is really important, regardless if it's in the syllabus or not, cause they might put it in the test.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can't only rely on syllabus. You need to include any information that the teacher thinks is really important, regardless if it's in the syllabus or not, cause they might put it in the test.
In the HSC year - all examinable material must be from the syllabus. If not, you are well within your means to complain.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
In the HSC year - all examinable material must be from the syllabus. If not, you are well within your means to complain.
Yeah, I've tried having a whinge but then the teacher says it's still relevant to the syllabus.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
What subjects are we talking about darkcounty? And what is being examined?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
In my physics space test, there were questions on the impact of the Michelson- Morley experiment on society. I talked about rejecting competing scientific theories or sthg and it was wrong.

ruchira2122

HSC
darkcounty, i think thats the case with school based exams. you have to learn everything taught by your teacher. But in the case of the HSC examination itself, the questions come directly from syllabus dot points.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Yeah that sounds about right. Can't be stuffed arguing with mr physics teacher anyway, it's like punching a brick wall.

HSC
Hmmm.. I must admit I must agree to an extent. The HSC is to examine EVERYTHING within the bounds of the syllabus as far as I have been told.

In school based tests, they can be from anywhere really. I can relate in the case of physics, my teacher is a douche! He gets info from everywhere but in he says in the HSC its strictly syllabus.

I was lost as to wheter I should make notes from the syllabus or from the textbooks given to me. IE: Legal, Economics, Physics, etc.

The way I have it set out in my mind is that my frist priority is to make notes from the syllabus, dot-point-by-dot-point and then make any extra notes from textbooks to add onto the syllabus.

In the case of Economics, I need statistics so I will make those from the textbook.

Please someone tell me if this sounds like a reasonable approach :S

1) MAKE NOTES STRICTLY FROM SYLLABUS - DOT-POINT-BY-DOT-POINT
2) Make NECESSARY NOTES from textbooks
3) Complete all homework, worksheets, notes from class separately.

PLEASE TELL ME GUYS IF THIS SOUNDS REASONABLE! help!!

Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, at my school - everything that was in our exams and taught in class was from the syllabus. Maybe I was lucky....

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Your teachers mustve been good. My one frequently goes out on tangents about what he deems to be far more interesting. Last day of term, he was flapping on about lawn mowers.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Absolutely absolutely absolutely follow the syllabus, THIS IS YOUR BIBLE!

If you want good models look at some of the notes in the resources section to see how to structure them.
+1 especially for sciences

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)