• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
SMH said:
World's best player? You can count on it
November 23, 2005

World's best player award ... Anthony Minichiello.
Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello was voted the best player in the world on Monday night, capturing the prestigious Golden Boot award ahead of Saturday's Tri-Nations final with New Zealand.

In a big night for Australian rugby league, Wayne Bennett was named International Coach of the Year and Tim Mander International Referee of the Year.

Two years after replacing one of the game's all-time great fullbacks in former Golden Boot winner Darren Lockyer, "The Count" has established himself one of the game's most exciting players.

Fittingly, Minichiello was presented with the coveted award by former rugby league legend Arthur Beetson, the man who discovered him on a video in 1996 and recommended the Roosters sign him.

The gongs were presented at a black tie dinner at the Elland Road Stadium where Australia will defend their Tri-Nations crown on Saturday night (Sunday morning AEDT).

Minichiello edged out Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden, who was named International Forward of the Year ahead of New Zealand's Ruben Wiki who will become rugby league's most capped player of all time at the weekend.

The awards were organised by Rugby League World Magazine and voted on by rugby league writers, former players and coaches from around the world.

Minichiello is the first fullback since Balmain's Garry Jack in 1987 to carry off the biggest individual prize in world rugby league.

"It's a great honour looking at the list of winners," said the 25-year-old.

"It was weird hearing my name read out. You read those names and they're all legends of the game."

Minichiello arrived on the scene with the Roosters in 1999 after touring Britain with the Junior Kangaroos.

He switched to fullback in 2003 and took over Lockyer's No. 1 jumper when Bennett moved the Broncos skipper to five-eighth.

He played his first match at fullback in the Rooster's World Club Challenge win over St Helens at the start of the 2003 and has not played a bad game in 17 appearances in the green and gold.

Minichiello is the 10th Australian to win the Golden Boot since Wally Lewis won the inaugural award in 1985.

The award was not presented between 1991-98 and the only players outside Australia to have won have been New Zealand's Hugh McGahan, who shared the honour with Peter Sterling in 1988, Great Britain captain Ellery Hanley in 1989, current Kiwi Test halfback Stacey Jones in 2002 and Englishman Andy Farrell who won last year.

AAP
If i was a gay man i would attempt to impregnante Minichiello, biggest FARKIN CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best in the World
Can he get better? You can count on it

Oh and faguelgayden "David Seage best fullback" is the worst comment ever, go and get a lobotomy.

HSC
Bookie said:
Well, I suppose Luke Covell was out of contention seeing as he would have won it by default. Just like Cadel Evans was out of contention for road cyclist of the year.
Fuck me leaving Cadel Evans out of Oz Road Cyclist of the year was the most bullshit decison i've ever heard. He had an absolutely champion debut Tour and a host of great performances this year.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Why Minichello? There are other players who are more deserving, like The Bearded One. Damn Bias....

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I just read it in the LU forums. If it is deffinately true I think I'll commit suicide! FARK ME! How did this happen?

[size=+5]FUCK YOU STEVE ROGERS!!!![/size]

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Minichiello deserves all the love hes gets. Even if he hits on anything that moves...

Oh and Greg
The awards were organised by Rugby League World Magazine and voted on by rugby league writers, former players and coaches from around the world.
We did not and cannot rig the award. So sucks to you.

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
kimi said:
Little did you know that the magazines editor is Ian Schubert. Part time Rooster, pasrt time Roosters player father, part time rooster cokcsucker.

Oh, Eoin, its true. Its all over the papers.

[SIZE=+5]SCREW YOU SHARKS MANAGEMENT. OH WAIT, IT CANT GET ANY MORE SCREWED[/size]

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Yeah Bookie.... I heard it on the radio....

Good bye cruel world! Whats the point in having a sharks team without Nutley, Rogers or 'The Peach'? Fuck me! This is shit... Now their looking for Lance. Well Fuck that! Give me Nutley over Tompson any day! That pisses me off to no end.... I'm so angry im gonna stop typing... For Now...

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Bookie said:
SCREW YOU SHARKS MANAGEMENT. OH WAIT, IT CANT GET ANY MORE SCREWED
his leaving to go to england to make more money, i dont see how sharks management can be blamed that a player becomes money hungry and wants to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)