NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Haha, 18 - 0 to the Bunnies. There's a scoreline we haven't seen for awhile! They actually don't look too bad.

I was so looking forward to perving on Matt Cooper and he gets his nose busted first tackle. Damn.

Jiga

Oh when the saints, oh when the saints get, beaten, by, Souths....

On another front, Sharks got beaten by the Cowboys 18 - 10

A disappointing result, but considering its the new teams first game together it was to be expected. Imporvement expected though in the next trial against the Knights

T

timbk2

Cooper injured with badly broken nose, Matthew head also injured.

lol. Dragons have horrible luck with their injuries. the season hasnt even started yet.

nice to see souths getting some joy too

T

timbk2

Bulldogs defeated 30-6 by Canberra, but doggies didnt have a single 1st grader in the team, whereas raiders fielded a pretty much full strength team

HSC
timbk2 said:
Cooper injured with badly broken nose, Matthew head also injured.

lol. Dragons have horrible luck with their injuries. the season hasnt even started yet.
Same old, same old mate.

Ah well, its fucking good to be back.

South Sydney can have their grand final, they deserved it.

I'm not too worried just yet... tonight was just a reminder for all Saints fans that nothing has changed and there's no reason to be hopeful of a successful season.

Like I said though not too worried... but a similar effort (or lack there of) round 1 and there will be a hell of a lot of crticism and pressure on players, management etc.

M | |< E

HSC
I was a bit surprised over the weekend to hear that the Eagles wiped the floor with the Tigers over the weekend. Hopping around the forums I found that many people tipped the Tigers to win due to our inexperienced starting line-up and the fact that the Tigers were just about full strength but the youngs guys wrapped the game up at half time with a 24-6 lead. Defence is still a problem though with the Eagles conceding 5 trys, especially the two late tries after having a commanding 40-14 lead.

In other trials Penrith dominated Newcastle 44-20. Penrith led 28-0 but Newcastle fought back to win the second half 20-16.

The Melbourne Storm beat an under strength Broncos side 24-10.

T

timbk2

Newcastle sack player
February 21, 2005

THE Newcastle Knights NRL club tonight sacked one player and issued fines totalling $50,000 following a drunken rampage in a university dormitory in the NSW town of Bathurst at the weekend.

After two days of investigations and a marathon board meeting which stretched into the night, the Knights announced they had terminated the contract of one player.

The club declined to reveal his identity for legal reasons.

"The club realises the significance of its actions insofar as the player is concerned, but had to take into account the interests of the entire club, including its supporters, members and sponsors as well as the broader community," chairman Michael Hill said in a statement issued late tonight.

"Due to privacy issues, we are unable to name the player involved."

Newcastle officials also announced the largest fines in the club's history had been dished out to 12 players - including the player who had his contract terminated - following the breach of a 3am curfew and incidents involving a fire extinguisher and a bicycle.

The club itself was also hit with a $100,000 fine by the NRL over the players misconduct in Bathurst and received a further $100,000 penalty, suspended on the proviso the club incurred no similar misconduct breaches over the next two seasons.

The NRL also announced it would de-register the sacked player once it received notification from the Knights, effectively ending his career in Australia in the short term.

"Given the information we have been presented with, it would be our intention to refuse to register a contract with that player once we receive formal notification from the Knights," NRL chief executive David Gallop said in a statement tonight.

"Such a decision would prevent him playing for any NRL team.

"Certainly we would not re-register the player without a compelling reason and it is unlikely we could foresee that occurring within the next 12 months."

Today's upheaval followed reports that Knights players went on a drunken rampage through a student dormitory at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst after a trial game on Saturday night.

"We believe we have treated these breaches extremely seriously with the largest fines for offences of his nature in the club's 18-year history," chairman Michael Hill told a media conference at the club's Newcastle headquarters more than three hours before the announcement of the sacking.

One un-named student described on radio how a player allegedly assaulted a student as she slept.

"He then went back towards the door, saw her on her bed face down, climbed on top of her, straddled her and began to touch her inappropriately," she said.

However, police said today they had yet to receive an official complaint against the Knights players and had no evidence to support claims of an indecent assault.

The players fined were named by the club in alphabetical: Dustin Cooper, Kurt Gidley, Mark Hughes, Matt Kennedy, Todd Lowrie, Blake Mueller, Luke Quigley, Kirk Reynoldson, Reegan Tanner, Dane Tilse, Daniel Tolar and Adam Woolnough.

No break-down of the fines was announced and the players had the right to appeal, Knights chief executive Ken Conway said.

"The rest of the team were fairly disgusted and the rest of the team were keen to make sure that the players concerned were named so that the players who weren't involved didn't have their names besmirched," Conway said.

"We think that's important.

"We believe the players know the code of conduct, know what's involved in making sure our game has a good image, have to take responsibility for their own actions and not hide behind blank statements."

Gidley, captain of the team in Bathurst, apologised to the club and its fans.

"I was the acting captain in Bathurst and on behalf of players who broke club curfew and acted inappropriately on Sunday morning, we would like to apologise without reservation for any offence taken by students at Charles Sturt University," he said.

"We realise that another matter of a more serious nature may still be the subject of further investigation.

"Irrespective of this we would like to express that our actions were unacceptable.

"We have breached our own code of conduct, the trust of our club and the supporters. We are committed now towards working hard to rebuild that trust."

It's the second time in two years the NRL has slugged one of its clubs over a pre-season incident.

Last year the Bulldogs were hit with a $500,000 fine - $350,000 was suspended - over allegations of sexual misconduct in Coffs Harbour.

Conway said the Knights had become aware of the incident on Sunday morning when two players reported the matter to team officials and they immediately began an investigation.

"Players at some point in time have to take responsibility for their actions and that's what today's investigation has been about," Conway said.

The financial repercussions of the Bathurst brouhaha could be dire for the club.

Newcastle, without the support of a leagues club, fights a yearly battle to make ends meet.

As of today, it still had not secured a major sponsor for this season.

"I have been very busy today investigating the allegations, I have not been afforded the opportunity to have discussions with any of our sponsors," Conway said.

"I would hope provided it is considered that we have dealt with the matter appropriately it wouldn't affect our sponsorship arrangements but that remains to be seen and it certainly is a concern."

Conway and Hill also absolved coach Michael Hagan and football manager Mark Sargent of any blame.

It's understood the pair spoke with players about their responsibilities prior to the trip and on the bus on the way to Bathurst.

Hagan and Sargent then conducted a head count when the players returned to their hotel at 3am.

It's understood the 12 players concerned then headed back out.

"They signed players in and made sure the players were back," Conway said.

AAP

Jiga

Yet another great headline. Proud to be a Sharks supporter, we give to the community/sport.

Big fines to those 12 players, approx $5000 each, wow. Funniest thing was that there were seasoned footballers among the crowd, it really does make you think about the idea that all footballers are complete dumbarses especially in light of recent events. 'Ah lets go on a drunken rampage, and ah, we are going to get away with it' :rolleyes:

HSC
The bloke that got his contract torn up was Dane Tilse, he was also banned for 12 months from the NRL so he won tbe able to play for another club.

He is a tank though that kid, 200cm and 109kg

HSC
Lol

Big League NRL Season Preview:

Newcastle player to watch:

Dane Tilse

FlawlessBassist said:
The bloke that got his contract torn up was Dane Tilse, he was also banned for 12 months from the NRL so he won tbe able to play for another club.

He is a tank though that kid, 200cm and 109kg
Did the NRL actually ban him? Last I heard was Gallop said it was unlikely that they would renew his contract thi year meaning he wouldn't be able to play until next season, but have they made a decision?

Not sure about the penalty. I think it was the right thing to do but I doubt they would have done the same if it was an established first grader. The fines are fairly leanient, especially when you compare it to Gaz being fined 50k for a fucken funny voicemail but yeah. Best thing was how they named the players, just wish a certain organisation would have done similar with a certain incident last year.

Anyone know anything about whether the police are getting involved yet? I've been busy haven't really kept up. Last I heard chick was getting counselling and they were looking at approaching police with a statement.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
only 14 more days to go now until the season starts!
...This thread had been pretty quiet lately, so I just thought that I would revive it again.

Jiga

Its been quiet - and that can change that ;)

For starters, on Saturday (tomorow), Andrew Johns will be given a season ending injury as he makes his comeback agains the Sharks. My guess is that Big Hutch Maiava will snap him in two.

On a sharks related note (as always), Stevens will be out for a while, which is a major disappointment. However, nothing is lost with the sharks great depth, with players like Hutch, Leuluai, Stosic, Manua and Lomu willing to take his place as prop.

Big Hutch in particular will rip it up this year IMO, hes lost 15kg's since hes been with the Sharks, and is the strongest man in the team, taking over from Gallen.

Round 1 : Sharks 50 def Panthers 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Jiga

Big League NRL Season Preview:
Big league season preview is the bigggest piece of shit eva, I wouldnt even wipe my arse wif it. They hav like Sharks winger Luke Covell at 7.5/10 for kicking (Who btw has a kicking success rate of like 85%+) and some other no name (forgotten his name and couldnt be bothered lookin) also at 7.5/10. Now thats jus one small thing, the entire thing is rorted

Jiga

Rumour is out that St George is in turmoil as the players want Brown out of the coaching job, and the season hasnt started yet.

Reminds me of images like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)