NSW L-Plater Rumour (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
I heard today a rumour that the RTA (NSW) is changing the minimum age of acquiring one's Learner's Permit to 17 as of September 1. Can anyone verify this?

It would be pretty poor call if it is true, because Leaners are in fact amongst the safest drivers on the road - it's just when the L turns to P that they become a danger to themselves and other road users. It would make more sense to:
- keep the minimum age at 16 and increase the P1 Provisional (red) license minimum age from 17 to 18
- increase Learner license minimum period from 6 months to 18 months, and
- increase minimum logbook hours from 50 to 100.

In other words, adopt a similar scheme to Victoria. And NSW can't copy the wisdom of VicRoads, oh no...

HSC
SlipStream said:
It would be pretty poor call if it is true, because Leaners are in fact amongst the safest drivers on the road
I concur. unless theyre with professional driving instructors, i wouldnt go near them.
damn crazy drivers really. the ones i come across cant seem to judge when theres a safe distance to change lanes, and on several occassions, almost causing an accident involving several cars.

i actually agree with changing to the new system (if its actually true). let the kids mature first.

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
I concur. unless theyre with professional driving instructors, i wouldnt go near them.
damn crazy drivers really. the ones i come across cant seem to judge when theres a safe distance to change lanes, and on several occassions, almost causing an accident involving several cars.

i actually agree with changing to the new system (if its actually true). let the kids mature first.
Well argue all you like, statistics are statistics.

Granted, they are dumb. I've had a few merge on me - they don't know how to check their blindspot. I travel near them with caution.

And it doesn't matter how mature they are on their Ls, the maturity element is the supervisor's responsibility. Besides, 12 months isn't much when talking about maturity. A 16 year old male is no different to a 17 year old.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i saw a L plater crash when they didnt check their blind spot.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I heard 100's of these rumours when I was getting my L's people kept saying that they would change the age for L's to a minimum of 16 9 mnths whihc was crap bcoz I got my L's at 16 and P's at 17. The only thing that may change is the number of hours and even then it will be published somewhere *like the restrictions on cars P- platers can drive* which was published in the newspaper, and if any changes occur relating to L or P laters it will be in the media for sure!

My driving instructor used to say that most chnages wont happen or be proposed until there has been a lot of L/P plater accidents, thats when the RTA goes on a fail spree and the govt proposes changes to appear as if they are going to fix the problem

iamsickofyear12

HSC
L platers are statistically safe drivers because a lot of them driver 10km/h under the speed limit and everyone gives them plenty of room.

And then when they become P platers people tailgait them like the woman today who decided she would drive less than 2 metres behind me when I was going 90. I should have slammed on my brakes so she could pay to fix my car and maybe learn not to be such a moron next time.

HSC
melsc said:
exactly what is it with people, when I try and change lanes people love staying in my blind spot so I can't do it...or beeping at you even though it is not safe to go!
umm...i think theyre beeping at you so you DONT change lanes :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
SlipStream said:
Well argue all you like, statistics are statistics.
You need to learn that statistics are crap that are manipulated by whoever is telling it.

For example, did you know that something like the amount of elderly people who die through falls related incidents is TWICE that of those (of all ages combined) that die on the road...but yet we don't hear anything about that, do we?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
umm...i think theyre beeping at you so you DONT change lanes :)
I don't mean when I am changing lanes, for instance, I just stopped at a roundabout, it wasnt safe to go, so i waited for it to be clear, I was there less than a minute and someone was beeping and swearing at me, my parents were in the car and told me had they thought I was holding up traffic they would have told me to hurry up, but even they said it wasnt safe to go!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Its true, L platers are a typically low risk on the road, due to the fact that they must be supervised....this is illustrated by insurance premiums which don't change for L-platers, but go right up when that driver becomes a provisional license holder.

Its not manipulated, its a fact.

However the whole raising the age thing I can confirm is just a rumour.

SlipStream

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Its true, L platers are a typically low risk on the road, due to the fact that they must be supervised....this is illustrated by insurance premiums which don't change for L-platers, but go right up when that driver becomes a provisional license holder.

Its not manipulated, its a fact.

However the whole raising the age thing I can confirm is just a rumour.
Yeh I knew it was a rumour all along. I made it up. :) Just to create some convo, which seemed to work. If anything like this came along, I'd be one of the first here to hear about it.

And you speaketh the truth about statistics - of the RTA would not manipulate statistics, and even if they did through inadmission, it does not affect the fact that Learners are statistically safer drivers - regardless of the reasons.

P-Platers are crap drivers. It's a never ending argument, but in a nutshell most of them drive at a level they aren't competent with. The real bad ones crash. Most P-platers crash in their first year of driving through basic incompetency (and many other things).

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
melsc said:
LOL yes murfo...from Wollongong :p
haha theres a good chance it was me then, i abuse L platers all the time! and yes i live in wollongong

S13WPN

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
It is most likely a rumour, as changes like these, if they were to be desired, would be aired on the media first and heavily debated.
i think slipstream said it best...

SlipStream said:
Yeh I knew it was a rumour all along. I made it up.
just curious, do you have your p's yet?

7th Sign

HSC
they are all not true except this one

- increase minimum logbook hours from 50 to 100.

that is comming in real soon,

and also the driver traning course thing after you get you ps or something

SlipStream

HSC
S13WPN said:
just curious, do you have your p's yet?
Yeh on my reds, got them on my 17th b'day, passed with 100%. ;) I'm getting my greens on my eighteenth b'day in January. I've been driving cars since I was a wee lad (8 years old) - driven about 30 different cars since from 4WDs to racing cars to hi-per road cars, all my mates say I'm a "weapon driver" (??) but I disagree. I still have heaps and heaps to learn. And regardless of what they say, I'm not one to preach my talents. I like to keep it all under wraps, until the light goes green. :)

klh

HSC
about that 50 to 100 hrsfor learners for th elog books, doe sit apply to current learners or new learners?

S13WPN

HSC
SlipStream said:
Yeh on my reds, got them on my 17th b'day, passed with 100%. ;) I'm getting my greens on my eighteenth b'day in January. I've been driving cars since I was a wee lad (8 years old) - driven about 30 different cars since from 4WDs to racing cars to hi-per road cars, all my mates say I'm a "weapon driver" (??) but I disagree. I still have heaps and heaps to learn. And regardless of what they say, I'm not one to preach my talents. I like to keep it all under wraps, until the light goes green. :)
ok, well done, i think i made one mistake :rolleyes:. greens is simple but a bit of a rip... but my post was directed at the lad having a whinge

7th Sign

HSC
klh said:
about that 50 to 100 hrsfor learners for th elog books, doe sit apply to current learners or new learners?

new learners man... I have heard it is comming in soon...along with the driver traning course shit after you get yours p's...i think early 2006 is my guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)