• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NSW State Election Campaign discussion (1 Viewer)

2011 NSW Election 2PP poll: Coalition or Labor?

• Total voters

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
I originally meant this thread to be about critiquing the campaigns rather than being 'the official election thread' but Rafy added the poll, so anyway

Barry O'Farrell's slogan is Real Change for NSW which echoes Real Action from the Federal election. Also yet another example of the emergence of real as a marketing term.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
"We'll stand up for real action."
- Tony Abbott

Although in this circumstance I think O'Farrell's promise of real change has at least a morsel of credibility.

Lentern

HSC
"We'll stand up for real action."
- Tony Abbott

Although in this circumstance I think O'Farrell's promise of real change has at least a morsel of credibility.
Really? Things will invariably change as does happen with a new government but O'farrell's campaign has largely promised continuity, denying labor the opportunity to portray them as some sort of risk. (and he was very prudent to do so)

goodoo

HSC
Unfortunately I am not very impressed by O'Farrell.

He is however miles ahead of the Labur party. I will be glad to see them gone.

Existential

HSC
N/A
O'farrell's campaign has largely promised continuity
For a conservative party (going by recent times), that doesn't surprise me. Of course Barry tells us he's a social Liberal (i'd doubt he'll be as far right wing as Abbott/Howard).

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Not very impressed with Barry's campaign launch to be honest.

After so many years with Labor in power, I feel kind of let down that he didn't really promise anything revolutionary despite having some good policies. The thing is, we're all bombarded with information about how Labor has stuffed this state up so badly for so long, but nobody wants to actually stand up and start introducing REAL change. There's nothing wrong with his policies - most of them are common sense and necessary, but I really wanted to see something big - something different, maybe even something a little bit drastic.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Neither side has promised anything spectacular or any change from the current system basically so far. Its better to stick with the enemy we know (Labor) than to switch to the enemy we don't know (Liberals) who could be worse.

Unless there is another Labor sex scandal or a scandal around Keneally before the election in the next couple of weeks I think Keneally will hold onto power now. The Liberals campaign simply isn't working very well while Labor is doing better than expected.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
there is literally no way the Libs could be worse
The Liberals want to cut infrastructure, services and jobs to reduce the budget. Cutting infrastructure, services (such as hospital beds etc, ferries) and making tens of thousands unemployed is not exactly 'better', its 'worse' in my opinion.

I still remember WorkChoices also. I just can't bring myself to vote Liberal now after WorkChoices...

HSC
the liberals just announced a multi-billion dollar health upgrade including upgrading the dubbo and wagga base hospitals at $50million and $125 million each respectively, something the alp has held off doing for years despite promises to the contrary

stop lying you cunt

HSC
employment increased in the period workchoices was in place

so what is your problem with it? seeing as employment figures are all you seem to worry about

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Neither side has promised anything spectacular or any change from the current system basically so far. Its better to stick with the enemy we know (Labor) than to switch to the enemy we don't know (Liberals) who could be worse.

Unless there is another Labor sex scandal or a scandal around Keneally before the election in the next couple of weeks I think Keneally will hold onto power now. The Liberals campaign simply isn't working very well while Labor is doing better than expected.
You are actually lying

Lentern

HSC
Not very impressed with Barry's campaign launch to be honest.

After so many years with Labor in power, I feel kind of let down that he didn't really promise anything revolutionary despite having some good policies. The thing is, we're all bombarded with information about how Labor has stuffed this state up so badly for so long, but nobody wants to actually stand up and start introducing REAL change. There's nothing wrong with his policies - most of them are common sense and necessary, but I really wanted to see something big - something different, maybe even something a little bit drastic.
This is how unlosable elections are lost.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Nothing could be worse than Labor.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
This is how unlosable elections are lost.
I agree. At one point I thought Liberals had it in the bag, and they still probably do by a long shot (as indicated by opinion polls), but it wouldn't be a massive shock if Labor somehow scraped through.

Lentern

HSC
No you goose, your idiocy about O'farrell needing more chutzpah when an election is there for the taking is how you end up with results like 1993 and 2004 federal or 2007 nsw. O'farrell campaign has been near perfect.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
The Liberals want to cut infrastructure, services and jobs to reduce the budget. Cutting infrastructure, services (such as hospital beds etc, ferries) and making tens of thousands unemployed is not exactly 'better', its 'worse' in my opinion.

I still remember WorkChoices also. I just can't bring myself to vote Liberal now after WorkChoices...
jesus christ, someone's drinking the kool-aid

please be a troll

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
No you goose, your idiocy about O'farrell needing more chutzpah when an election is there for the taking is how you end up with results like 1993 and 2004 federal or 2007 nsw. O'farrell campaign has been near perfect.
I'm not talking election strategy anymore. It's already been established Barry's strategy is safe and reliable. You're just repeating what's already been said.

I'm talking from my own perspective, a voter. There's so much wrong with this state. We've been subjected to a pathetic excuse of a government for so many years, so I feel let down because I would expect an opposition which has been so critical of this government to actually propose something outstanding. As I said, Barry's policies are excellent and they kind of address what's needed - atleast in some capacity - but they're not incredible.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
there's a huge difference between the power of the labor smear machine, and the liberals', in fact they don't even seem to have one

i mean look at davidbarnes' propaganda trying to make the liberals look bad
why aren't the liberals bombarding us with all the fuckups labor have made in the last 10 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)