• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NSW State Election Campaign discussion (3 Viewers)

2011 NSW Election 2PP poll: Coalition or Labor?

• Total voters

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...ey-water-will-not-be-sold-20110206-1aif7.html
February 7, 2011

Coalition says Sydney Water will not be sold
THE Coalition has ruled out privatising Sydney Water, which will appease unions and mirrors one of the policy announcements by the Premier yesterday.

The opposition's campaign spokeswoman, Gladys Berejiklian, said the Coalition would not sell the water utilities in Sydney or the Hunter. But she would not commit to capping transport fares, as Labor has promised to do.
proof that the labor sycophant is lying

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Libs did a major fuck up on their urban consolidation policy imo. Driving more people to the west just because their rich voters in the north shore/bondi junction area don't want to live next to apartments.
I agree. More urban consolidation is defiantly needed. However with this election in focus, O'Farrels plan is to create tens of thousands of new blocks of land available on the outskirts of Western Sydney (to make housing more affordable for first time buyers etc), althoug this will make the transport system (or lack thereof) worse here in Western Sydney. At least Keneally has it right that this is bad and we need urban consolidation (even if her party hasn't always realized this).

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Fucking hell davidbarnes stop posting my god you measure a fucking party's worth and contribution in how much money it fucking wastes jesus christ

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I agree. More urban consolidation is defiantly needed. However with this election in focus, O'Farrels plan is to create tens of thousands of new blocks of land available on the outskirts of Western Sydney (to make housing more affordable for first time buyers etc), althoug this will make the transport system (or lack thereof) worse here in Western Sydney. At least Keneally has it right that this is bad and we need urban consolidation (even if her party hasn't always realized this).
Western Sydney's transport system is fine what are you talking about do you even live here

HSC
you're an idiot

3 billion all up
885 million for hospital upgrades

125 million each into 2 hospitals wagga and blacktown

20 million for new hospital in maitland

69 million for police station upgrades

135 new express train services for the central coast and western sydney
promises to build the north-west & south-west rail links that have been delayed by the alp since 1998

the ferry service is fucked anyway, all they are doing is increasing commerical competition

please give a single nsw liberal source that has stated that selling nsw water is a party policy

can you not do any research of your own before you spread your lies or what?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I wasn't aware the Liberals had in some terms backed down on that, sorry about that.

What you quoted is a bit selective though. I.e. if we look at other parts of the article:

The opposition's campaign spokeswoman, Gladys Berejiklian, said the Coalition would not sell the water utilities in Sydney or the Hunter. But she would not commit to capping transport fares, as Labor has promised to do.

Ms Keneally also ruled out selling the $2 billion desalination plant in Kurnell. The Coalition has indicated it intends to offer a long-term lease on the plant.
So not a sale, but a 'long term lease' - in the end we will end up paying a lot more for water as a result. if they are going to do a long term lease, they might as well just sell it in the first place.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
lol okay that is not an actual argument. Especially when we defeat about you know 99% of the rest of the world if you're going to go on about the relativity of our transport services that is completely bogus

Transport across Sydney is fucking top notch, tell me in what way (any single way) is it bad

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
you're an idiot

3 billion all up
885 million for hospital upgrades

125 million each into 2 hospitals wagga and blacktown

20 million for new hospital in maitland

69 million for police station upgrades

135 new express train services for the central coast and western sydney
promises to build the north-west & south-west rail links that have been delayed by the alp since 1998

the ferry service is fucked anyway, all they are doing is increasing commerical competition

please give a single nsw liberal source that has stated that selling nsw water is a party policy

can you not do any research of your own before you spread your lies or what?
I question the accuracy of your 3 billion dollar figure first off. However they are also cutting more than that from the budget, so there will be a net negative spend in the result. I'm no economist but I fai lto see how they can provide more services, more infrastructure and more jobs without cutting other services, infrastructure or jobs when they are decreasing spending. It doesn't work like that in the real world.

A post above mine details how the Liberals have changed from selling Sydney Water to long term leasing of components.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
lol okay that is not an actual argument. Especially when we defeat about you know 99% of the rest of the world if you're going to go on about the relativity of our transport services that is completely bogus

Transport across Sydney is fucking top notch, tell me in what way (any single way) is it bad
Public transport is slow, dirty and quite often unsafe. Not to mention some suburbs don't have transport, whiel other suburbs which were going to get train lines have now had them cancelled by the Liberals.

Lentern

HSC

I think quite highly of our public transport system however friends of mine have berated me for it and basically said I'm a labor hack who won't acknowledge any of their failures. (even though I vote green) They assert that it should not take over an hour to get from Cabramatta to the city via public transport, I assert in response that there are reasons why land in Cabramatta costs spare change compared to land in the inner west or east.

Edit: All that being said I always drive to Westmead and take the express train if I'm going into the city which takes me less than half an hour so I can't say my situation is identical to them.

Last edited:
HSC
I question the accuracy of your 3 billion dollar figure first off. However they are also cutting more than that from the budget, so there will be a net negative spend in the result. I'm no economist but I fai lto see how they can provide more services, more infrastructure and more jobs without cutting other services, infrastructure or jobs when they are decreasing spending. It doesn't work like that in the real world.

A post above mine details how the Liberals have changed from selling Sydney Water to long term leasing of components.
why
how are you in any way qualified to question the accuracy of that figure?

detail a list of services and infrastruce projects that they have proposed to cut from the budget

and seriously? you are suggesting that less governmental spending, regardless of the purpose or reason is bad?

leasing infrastructure =/= privatisation of a company

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Plans by the NSW Liberal/National coalition to cut $3.8 billion in state spending is yet more evidence that the Coalition is no alternative to the Labor Party in New South Wales.

If anything, opposition leader Barry O’Farrell’s plan to cut public sector jobs and services will make things even worse.

O’Farrell is hoping to romp in to government in the March state elections — not because people support his policies, but because people are so fed up with Labor.

NSW voters deserve to know what the Coalition actually stands for, but it has said very little so far about its real policies.

The last time the Coalition was in government, it privatised the State Bank of NSW and the Government Insurance Office.

This time around, it is certain to launch an even greater privatisation push, similar to that of Victoria’s Jeff Kennett government in the 1990s.

O’Farrell has repeatedly refused to rule out the full privatisation of NSW electricity assets, or the sale of other public assets.

But he revealed some of his privatisation agenda in a July 2 interview with the Australian Financial Review.

The paper said: “He is open to all ideas on private sector involvement, from transport to road maintenance.”

O’Farrell told the AFR: “To restore the confidence and hope that people deserve to have in NSW is a big task and the only way we’re going to deliver that task is in partnership with the private sector.”

O'Farrell has also tried to cast himself a friend of democracy and the environment. But revelations that parts of the Coalition's regional land use policy were written by the mining industry show that he respects neither.
I'm not saying either party is great, but the enemy you know s better than the enemy you don't.

HSC
that wasnt an outline of the proposed spending cuts either

what are they?

they could very well be warranted.

"He is open to all ideas on private sector involvement, from transport to road maintenance" - what is wrong with that? if it was beneficial to the people of NSW, then why shouldnt he be atleast open to the idea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)