• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nsw state election : Who will you be voting? (1 Viewer)

your voting?

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I
If anything, this crisis has been a boon for average joe because it significantly eases food costs, petrol costs, and mortgages costs.
As long as he keeps his job!

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
As long as enough taxpayers keep their jobs!
Unemployment rate in a typical OECD country prior to the financial crisis: 6 or 7%.

Projected unemployment rate in Australia for 2009: 6%.

Lentern

HSC
I'm sorry, what?

Australia has basically the strongest and most stable economy in the world. That includes our fundamentals like average joe blow's quality of life and financial situation, as well as the regulatory framework of our financial institutions. Howard largely just maintained the status quo of the Hawke-Keating years in terms of economic policy, with some extra tweaking like the GST (which Hawke initially proposed anyway). I'm not about to give him much credit for coasting on Hawke's reforms and the mining boom, but he sure as heck didn't dig us into a hole or anything (WorkChoices was dead within a year).

If anything, this crisis has been a boon for average joe because it significantly eases food costs, petrol costs, and mortgages costs.

I have absolutely no idea how you can possibly conflate America's financial crash with any sort of 'fuck up' here
I think GST was Keatings idea not Hawkes that got squashed in cabinet. Australia's success in this period is largely because of pre-emptive action like the ABC learning bailout which has kept employment up, these counter-recession methods might not be racking up massive budget deficits had Howard and Rudd instead of handing out tax cuts like they thought the boom was going to last forever had maintained the taxes and built up a nice surplus as a buffer. And no the 20 billion was not a nice buffer it was a pittance, it should have been close to eighty billion but for those reckless tax cuts.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was a stick-up kid for the capital gains, but the feeling wanes when you grow some brains
Oh Lord, my homez say, G-S-T no waay
hoo
hay
hoo

ziki

HSC
Have absolutely no confident in Rees, failure...
but on federal government i would still vote for labor

thats if i can vote :haha:

Lentern

HSC
That's their right as human beings!
Well what good is giving them this right doing if all they do is rack up a trillion dollars in debt? Might as well legalise pot whilst we're at it.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
LOL greens got more votes than labor. ROFLMAO

Lentern

HSC
Abolish compulsary voting? Let children choose whether or not they want to go to school? Scrap all those anti gun laws? Our freedoms must be protected Katie, we're living in a police state here!

spiny norman

HSC
Abolish compulsary voting? Let children choose whether or not they want to go to school? Scrap all those anti gun laws? Our freedoms must be protected Katie, we're living in a police state here!
All of those are different to drug laws, and you'd be a fool to make the serious comparison.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They're all civil liberties that the people are better for being deprived of.
What's wrong with abolishing any of those things (apart from the school thing, which fails because children aren't rational actors capable of making such decisions)?

Lentern

HSC
What's wrong with abolishing any of those things (apart from the school thing, which fails because children aren't rational actors capable of making such decisions)?
Children don't magically become mature at a certain age, many in their twenties are not as mature as the sixteen year old year ten student. If the kid can argue maturely enough his case...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Children don't magically become mature at a certain age, many in their twenties are not as mature as the sixteen year old year ten student. If the kid can argue maturely enough his case...
Subjective, expensive and unnecessary. You have to draw a line in the sand to ensure uniform enforcement and 16-18 seems reasonable.

Lentern

HSC
Subjective, expensive and unnecessary. You have to draw a line in the sand to ensure uniform enforcement and 16-18 seems reasonable.
And the rights of those fine young 15 year olds who would manage themselves just fine in the real world must be sacraficed for the greater good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)