NSW student in years 9 to 12 get a laptop (1 Viewer)

sethicle

HSC
lol...

i agree with Silver Persian give it to the uni students...
and wtf netbooks??? thats pointless and the kids at my school would just break them with the first day anyways..

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
John Oliver said:
Netbooks damn it, netbooks. Netbooks with linux.
Yeah, I am actually opposed to this idea unless they do this.

Netbooks are cheap and replaceable, and Linux would be a real educational experience.

Lukybear

HSC
sethicle said:
lol...

i agree with Silver Persian give it to the uni students...
and wtf netbooks??? thats pointless and the kids at my school would just break them with the first day anyways..
you guys stereotype too much, why would people break their own stuff? Stupid? Sure their rebels but their not stupid... You know who i am refering to.

I think its too good to be true... But PRAY that it is not.

sethicle

HSC
Lukybear said:
you guys stereotype too much, why would people break their own stuff? Stupid? Sure their rebels but their not stupid... You know who i am refering to.

I think its too good to be true... But PRAY that it is not.
lol yer i prob did but u dont know some of the kids at my school..
i do hope that it does happen we and we do get them. would help alot of the stuents.. but i would be worrying about some of the stuff the students would look at and put on them and not doing the work...

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sethicle said:
and wtf netbooks??? thats pointless
Bullshit. Netbooks are actually perfect: portable, cheap, small enough to carry and use on a desk whilst still looking at the board, perfect for web and office stuff.

and the kids at my school would just break them with the first day anyways..
So instead of breaking a $2000 laptop they break a $300 laptop. Assuming kids actually break them.

dannowon2

HSC
No... They DO break them, Ive seen it.. Our schol as it is has Laptops for classes to use and you should see them.. They are torn up.. bits broken off them and keys missing.. I mean OMG.. Its pretty bad and when they actually DO get onto the Laptops.. they would do anything BUT the designated work by the teacher.. Most do it on Purpose now

As well as yes you say they are alot cheaper than a Notebook BUT that doesnt mean that they're worthless and that thy are Easily replaced... They are still costly when they are damaged.. I mean Id be sure the supplier wouldnt off warranty for a purchase price of $300 so no sending it back.. Just needs replacement :s

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
dannowon2 said:
No... They DO break them, Ive seen it.. Our schol as it is has Laptops for classes to use and you should see them.. They are torn up.. bits broken off them and keys missing.. I mean OMG.. Its pretty bad and when they actually DO get onto the Laptops.. they would do anything BUT the designated work by the teacher.. Most do it on Purpose now

As well as yes you say they are alot cheaper than a Notebook BUT that doesnt mean that they're worthless and that thy are Easily replaced... They are still costly when they are damaged.. I mean Id be sure the supplier wouldnt off warranty for a purchase price of $300 so no sending it back.. Just needs replacement :s
like, OMG

youngminii

Banned
HSC
dannowon2 said:

You see, the difference is that that's the SCHOOL'S laptop. Who gives a shit?
Whereas these are OUR laptops.

Also: stop killing it :( I'm so excited to get a laptop, I don't want a gay netbook. Sure it's for study, but come on, after high school what am I gonna do with a netbook ==;; I'd rather have a fully functional laptop(lanpartay)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
no ones answered my questionnnnnn :(

do the yr 12's of 09 get them tooo ?

because by the time they hand these out

well be almost finishedddd !!! :( :( :(

dannowon2

HSC
I don't want a gay netbook. Sure it's for study, but come on, after high school what am I gonna do with a netbook ==;; I'd rather have a fully functional laptop(lanpartay)
Yea I know what ya mean.. That'd be Awesome :rolleyes:

johony

HSC
youngminii said:
Also: stop killing it :( I'm so excited to get a laptop, I don't want a gay netbook. Sure it's for study, but come on, after high school what am I gonna do with a netbook ==;; I'd rather have a fully functional laptop(lanpartay)
Use it for uni?

Carrying a full size laptop to uni along with whatever would be a real pain. Netbooks are fully functional; unless you mean you want a DVD drive or some shit.

These laptops won't materialise until late next year i reckon, when Rudd starts campaigning for the 2010 election.

Which means i'll be getting myself one of these: http://olpc-australia.org.au/participate/give1get1/ (maybe)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Waste of money. Money should be spent on ensuring schools have decent computer labs. You don't need a 1:1 computer/student ratio.

I can't see how giving everybody their own laptop will improve educational outcomes much.

omgd. said:
u reckon yr 12's of 09 will still get them

since well almost be finished by the time theyre getting handed out ?
It would be scandalous if they did. Handing out free laptops for zero educational purpose.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I don't see how this will improve education either. How is a laptop going to ensure a child retains information, or is more studious?

Those who can afford laptops already own them, and those who can't probably can't afford internet access either. So basically those who can't access the internet at home have a big, shiney... word processor :s

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I think that giving them to high school students is a waste of taxpayers money, i do not pay taxes for them to get free laptop's i pay it to go towards health, roads, public transport, education, not free laptop hand outs

Dombrovski

HSC
I agree...

laptops will not help a student learn, nor will it increase their chance of retaining information;
i bought my own laptop halfway through the HSC, it didnt (and still doesnt) have internet connection, and it was more of a distraction than a help...

The government should be pushing this money to health and transport...
(and not just for the cities... rural people exist too!!)

if they wanted to properly assist schools with the whole "woot for technology" ideal, then they should be making sure that every school has adequate computer labs (which can be contolled, monitored and improved by the school)... not simply handing out laptops

Also, what if some public school students already have their own laptops...? that would be a real waste; how would the scheme help them?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Well having a laptop during year 12 was pretty convenient, but I wouldn't say it's essential. And if students need to use computers in class, unless their school is ridiculously huge, I'm sure it wouldn't kill the class to walk over to the library or comp labs.

In yesterday's Sun Herald, it says that each laptop will cost $2245 per student. WTF, these are supposed to be mini laptops! You could get a much better laptop with that kind of money.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Well having a laptop during year 12 was pretty convenient, but I wouldn't say it's essential. And if students need to use computers in class, unless their school is ridiculously huge, I'm sure it wouldn't kill the class to walk over to the library or comp labs.

In yesterday's Sun Herald, it says that each laptop will cost $2245 per student. WTF, these are supposed to be mini laptops! You could get a much better laptop with that kind of money.
I agree

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I think that giving them to high school students is a waste of taxpayers money, i do not pay taxes for them to get free laptop's i pay it to go towards health, roads, public transport, education, not free laptop hand outs
Just curious emy.

Exactly how much do you pay in tax each year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)