NSW teachers proposing a strike on the 7th of December (1 Viewer)

5uckerberg

HSC
I know this post does not concern you but lately, the message is becoming clear. Teachers want to go on strike on the 7th of December because they want to be given a fair wage given how hard they have to work through the COVID era, ie they wanted more than thanks because they were persistent with the desire to teach high schoolers even if they were not given extra pay. I was just kinda curious whose teachers are going on this strike on the 7th of December and who is not going.

specificagent1

HSC
so imo teaching can really be both. There's a lack of monitoring or professional assessment and that means bad teachers can get away with doing nothing and get the same reward. Yet, at the same time, teachers that work their ass off get no recognition and get exactly the same pay the fellow bad teachers get. On top of this, there's a lack of reward for actually doing good in your job. In other industries you can always get a promotion, or got to another employer with the experience you earn but in teaching there really is no promotions. There's that one head teacher spot that is occupied by the same person for like 30 years. TLDR: it doesn't reward good teachers

5uckerberg

HSC
why they complaining for working at home? I swear half of them were playing games, or at the beach in yr 8 science
fair enough then
Entire argument boils down like this okay. So in general teachers want a salary increase of 2.5% for each year compared to previously. This was agreed upon between Dominic Pettrot the premier and the teachers federation. While yes you might think they want money but the main story is that compared to other occupations teachers are getting the short end of the stick compared to them. The sucky part is that if the salaries do not increase less people will go into the teaching profession. What can I say about this debatable.

The reason I posted this is because on that day teachers are going on a strike and I wanted to warn every high school student what will happen on that day because their learning might get impacted. Wanted to let you all know and I also wanted everyone to give it a good look into this deep topic.

specificagent1

HSC
Entire argument boils down like this okay. So in general teachers want a salary increase of 2.5% for each year compared to previously. This was agreed upon between Dominic Pettrot the premier and the teachers federation. While yes you might think they want money but the main story is that compared to other occupations teachers are getting the short end of the stick compared to them. The sucky part is that if the salaries do not increase less people will go into the teaching profession. What can I say about this debatable.

The reason I posted this is because on that day teachers are going on a strike and I wanted to warn every high school student what will happen on that day because their learning might get impacted. Wanted to let you all know and I also wanted everyone to give it a good look into this deep topic.
I dont think this issue is just isolated to the teaching profession, rather the whole public sector. Our health care workers had their pay frozen last year and didn't even get an increase despite everything that has happened.

yanujw

HSC
why they complaining for working at home? I swear half of them were playing games, or at the beach in yr 8 science
fair enough then
Disagree. Just because most students slacked off does not mean that every teacher had an easy lockdown. Maybe it became a bludge for some lazy teachers, but I know a lot of year advisors and head teachers had a lot of stress.

5uckerberg

HSC
I dont think this issue is just isolated to the teaching profession, rather the whole public sector. Our health care workers had their pay frozen last year and didn't even get an increase despite everything that has happened.
True that public services sector is really screwed these days.

5uckerberg

HSC
suck shit teachers you sell out scabs, dock their pay even more
Okay, in turn of finding a rotten apple good thing to say. However, I believe that if we dock their pay even more what do you think will be the long term effects of such an action.

Look the main argument here is that teachers are overworked and underpaid, yes some teachers are attempting to do the bare minimum. I do agree some are like that but in general, most have been pulling their weight and are trying to work around an unprecedented time. So yeah you really need to say the pay raise can be justified.

However, in general, public service people are really screwed by COVID-19 despite working harder than ever. A trend that will get worse in the years to come if it is not managed properly.

5uckerberg

HSC
In response, if your teachers are going on strike during the 7th of December do you students have a contingency plan for that or are they just going to bring in a casual teacher. For maths the contingency plan is very simple, watch Wootube or something else like oh somebody play teacher for the day which could happen. But anyways find some contingency plans.

Last edited:

5uckerberg

HSC
However, this is really getting into the ridiculousness side as well where compared to registered nurses we are paid similar but yeah I have never heard of registered nurses going on strike probably depending on the profession. If such a thing occurs then students' learning will get impacted, yes it is only for one day, but what if nothing gets done and then protests again that occur for one week and so on and so on. Looks quite bleak for teachers.

I still believe and 4 years ago if you want to go into teaching then your reason cannot be pay.

5uckerberg

HSC
I think this is really a debatable issue because it is easy to say why teachers deserve a pay raise and why they do not. If anyone here does debating a viable debating question would be
Do public service workers deserve a pay rise in the present day.
However, this is really getting into the ridiculousness side as well where compared to registered nurses we are paid similar but yeah I have never heard of registered nurses going on strike probably depending on the profession. If such a thing occurs then students' learning will get impacted, yes it is only for one day, but what if nothing gets done and then protests again that occur for one week and so on and so on. Looks quite bleak for teachers.

I still believe and 4 years ago if you want to go into teaching then your reason cannot be pay.
I meant that if the government will not respond with the pay raise or the reforming of the education system. Then either teachers' leave or another strike will occur sooner than later. My thought is if a lot of teachers leave then we will have a power vacuum in the education department.

The other note is those fools who watch Sky News think oh let the teachers strike for as long as possible students do not need them. Lols this is just wrong they try to overexaggerate things to the point that it will be near impossible to occur.

5uckerberg

HSC
You can teach everything to yourself
Really, newton do you think this is going to occur. Theoretically yes but in practice not. This is such a shallow point that you made. Well, someone really needs to know that without teachers this gap between student understanding is still going to stay. Let me give you an example that can shatter your beliefs some students need face-to-face guidance from the teacher who is guiding them in their learning. As such if you tell them oh teach this yourself it does not resolve the problem.

Another note is that without the teacher who is keen to be the co-learner students' will find it difficult or near-impossible to overcome their difficulties and as such a teacher can be a valuable person that the student can use to gather helpful information because when two people learn together they can help each other overcome their difficulties.

Last edited:

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
Really, newton you think this is going to occur. Theoretically yes but in practice not.
You can if you want to. Maybe not in primary and junior years ig then teachers are helpful. In my school we teach everything to ourselves anyway since half of the time our teacher doesn't come to class I swear they are all chillin at the staff room, going to "important thing to do" (the important thing she has to do is to supervise 6 kids in an exam with 2 teachers).

5uckerberg

HSC
You can if you want to. Maybe not in primary and junior years ig then teachers are helpful. In my school we teach everything to ourselves anyway since half of the time our teacher doesn't come to class I swear they are all chillin at the staff room, going to "important thing to do" (the important thing she has to do is to supervise 6 kids in an exam with 2 teachers).
I can fully understand your point because for me I remembered that when I was in high school my Extension maths teacher was sick sometimes so, therefore, morning classes were not accessible at times and yep bad things happen especially during the middle of the day as we sometimes had a substitute take over. Bad moments. But in your case did you have other teachers that you could have asked. If not then something is really dreadful.

However, if I saw this today I probably would still think the same given it was my Extension maths teacher that was being away sick. Plus, I believe that a teacher who is not going to be absent has the most positive impact on them all because they are ready for every single day.

I guess opinions are really based on experiences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)