NSW teachers proposing a strike on the 7th of December (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
I think we can all agree on one thing though, it's absolutely bullshit that some teachers need to spend their OWN MONEY on purchasing educational materials or stationary because the school's aren't funded enough
this^^
it's kinda sad when they have to spend so much to print a bunch of stuff
my english teacher had to do all that to print a bunch of worksheets that ended up never being used by some of us😶

5uckerberg

HSC
I think we can all agree on one thing though, it's absolutely bullshit that some teachers need to spend their OWN MONEY on purchasing educational materials or stationary because the school's aren't funded enough
That is based on Socioeconomic status or SES. A common term used in education. That is a heavy gamechanger when it comes to the quality of what type of education the students get.

zizi2003_

HSC
it's not fair on the students or teachers
exactly
especially since the whole ATAR system is based off rankings. how is it fair to rank 2 people each with a diff SES / diff "quality" of education in diff schools. but ig thats where EAS stuff comes in

Anaya R

HSC
exactly
especially since the whole ATAR system is based off rankings. how is it fair to rank 2 people each with a diff SES / diff "quality" of education in diff schools. but ig thats where EAS stuff comes in
Even EAS has its flaws. I know about kids who lived in modest homes and were pretty great at studies, but they also lived in areas which were considered 'low' in the socio-economic bracket, and so they got points. Also the Sydney Morning Herald wrote this article about disadvantages and the HSC:

Jojofelyx

HSC
If you want a proper system, then incentivise the best students to go into teaching. (and politics actually). There no point having deadweights with minimum atar requirements of like 50 to get in to positions which innately have a HUGE impact on shaping the next generation. This is also, not to mention the fact that someone who is indeed extremely capable and hard working, being rewarded the same as those who put absolute piss all effort into their teaching.

Seeing all the extremely high calibre students gun it out for medicine, law eng and the like is good, sure, but there is honestly way too many of them wanting to do that and it simply boils down to job security, pay, (and to a lesser extent passion, yes as much as everyone says, a lot of people dont follow 'their passion and dreams'. Most family friends i have dont enjoy the work they do, they just do it to put food on the table and get to go on holidays once in a while, maybe i just have miserable family friends lol). So if you can make teaching as lucrative to attract higher level students, then im sure standards will very much improve, alongside less unhappy teachers. win win if you ask me

specificagent1

HSC
Even EAS has its flaws. I know about kids who lived in modest homes and were pretty great at studies, but they also lived in areas which were considered 'low' in the socio-economic bracket, and so they got points. Also the Sydney Morning Herald wrote this article about disadvantages and the HSC:
on top of this the whole EAS systems is flawed with undisclosed amounts of bonus points given and unknown unis accepting your application and the categories not covering everything. If anything it creates more uncertainty for the people that really need certainty

Anaya R

HSC
If you want a proper system, then incentivise the best students to go into teaching. (and politics actually). There no point having deadweights with minimum atar requirements of like 50 to get in to positions which innately have a HUGE impact on shaping the next generation. This is also, not to mention the fact that someone who is indeed extremely capable and hard working, being rewarded the same as those who put absolute piss all effort into their teaching.

Seeing all the extremely high calibre students gun it out for medicine, law eng and the like is good, sure, but there is honestly way too many of them wanting to do that and it simply boils down to job security, pay, (and to a lesser extent passion, yes as much as everyone says, a lot of people dont follow 'their passion and dreams'. Most family friends i have dont enjoy the work they do, they just do it to put food on the table and get to go on holidays once in a while, maybe i just have miserable family friends lol). So if you can make teaching as lucrative to attract higher level students, then im sure standards will very much improve, alongside less unhappy teachers. win win if you ask me
Not trying to diss or make generalisations here (because, most people on this forum are actually amazing) but many high achievers who go into law/med/engineering can sometimes be quite focussed on themselves and not necessarily help others. One of my friends who goes to a different school where one girl who was way above the rest of her class (as in she was getting 98 compared to the 60s of the rest of the cohort) didn't help anyone else even when they asked.
Also, just because you are good at a subject, doesn't mean you're good at teaching. I had a maths "teacher" who was so capable of doing maths that he had taught himself the entire extension 2 course when he was in school... at the same time, he struggled to get his knowledge to the students.
Again, not trying to diss or make generalisations

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC

True, I heard in other places of the world, people with higher scores aim to be teachers as well, like it's up there with medicine law eng as you say

Jojofelyx

HSC

5uckerberg

HSC

Let me strike a quote that will kill every single statement. Be passionate towards the need.
so this is done during uni?
Yep

Last edited:

5uckerberg

HSC
True, I heard in other places of the world, people with higher scores aim to be teachers as well, like it's up there with medicine law eng as you say
Of course, it depends on how much the country values something. If it is valued then it will be competitive. As such the expectations will be higher with people who have higher scores being allowed to be able to enter the teaching degree.

5uckerberg

HSC
If the government doesn't listen though, it may end up longer than that
There will be other side effects. More teachers quit the longer it goes. Longer a war goes the greater the effect on morale.

5uckerberg

HSC
teachers are bad people
You have made a mistake in a discussion like this faulty generalisation. Generalising a whole profession because of a few people.

Unless you are joking think twice before you type something on the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)