Nuclear Iran (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Report: Secret Iranian missile site revealed in new spy photos
A series of recently released spy photos have uncovered the secret location where Iran has allegedly been developing long-range ballistic missiles capable of striking Europe, The Times reported on Friday.

The satellite pictures pinpoint the facility where Iran launched its Kavoshgar 1 "research" rocket in February, according to the report. Iran has claimed that rocket was tested as part of its space program.

Analysis of the Digital Globe QuickBird satellite taken just days after the launch show details indicating that the site of the research rocket is the same location where Iran is preparing a ballistic missile with a range of 6,000 kilometers, the report said.

The site is located about 230 kilometers southeast of Tehran. The connection between the research rocket and Iran's long-range program was exposed by Jane's Intelligence Review following an analysis of the photos by a former Iraqi weapons inspector, said The Times.

Analysis of the photos suggest that Iran is pursuing a space program similar to that being developed in North Korea, with a focus on long-range missile technology, according to the report.

An analyst at the Institute of Technology, Geoffrey Forden, said that a structure on the Iranian site - roughly 40 meters in length - closely resembled a Taepodong long-range missile assembly facility in North Korea, The Times reported.

The editor of Janes's Proliferation has said that based on examination of the Iranian site, Tehran may be just five years away from developing the long-range missile, according to the report.
Source: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/974071.html

What are your thoughts of a Nuclear-capable Iranian State?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Well that's a bit disturbing Boris, but thankfully I don't live near or in Nelson Parade. Past governments certainly have some explaining to do, but I'm sure it won't effect the property value of homes in Hunters Hill, thank G-d. lol!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
More like what do you think of the fact that the 'nuclear winter' scenario was vastly underpredicted?

It was thought that global nuclear war could screw up global ozone levels by up to 20% for a few years. A recent revised study now properly considers height of the blast, and determines that any small local nuclear exchange of 100 warheads - say Pakistan vs India, would trigger twice as much GLOBAL deviation in ozone levels for about TWICE as long.

In other words: if any two countries go to nuclear war, the entire world is severely fucked. We're talking dinosaur extinction event kind of fucked. Something 100 times worse than global warming.

You can imagine what it'd be like if we had an actual global nuclear war.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I sympathise with these recalcitrants to the extent that I recognise that it's really the only way to guarantee their sovereignty…But they're wicked and must be stopped.

Besides, it seems possible that the people of Iran will discard this hideous administration before things get too serious

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I don't see how having nuclear weapons and missiles will ensure Iran's sovereignty? It's not like it suffers any threat to it's existence...well at least no threat that isn't as a result of their nuclear weapons program.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
a nuclear iran seems to be the scaring the shit out of israel lol

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Iran is stupid, they don't know what to do with their money when they get it from their oil, they should do what Dubai does, and invest it in TOURISM! Not Nuclear.

bigneh

HSC
A report recently came to the conclusion that Iran did not have the means to make any nukes.
Its all propaganda to invide Iran, after that report was released Bush said that Iran was still a International threat even without nuclear capabilities.

Its all war propaganda, they did it with Iraq and they will do it again with Iran.

bigneh

HSC
But any Islamic state with nuclear capabilities is always scary.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL2069753320080421?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

The U.N. atomic watchdog's top investigator arrived in Tehran on Monday to press Iran to explain Western intelligence which suggested it covertly studied how to design nuclear bombs...

Last week, U.S. President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown pledged a united effort to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear bomb, possibly by expanding sanctions.

Iran says its nuclear program is a peaceful drive to produce electricity so that the world's fourth-largest crude exporter can sell more of its oil and gas abroad. It has been hit by three rounds of limited U.N. sanctions since 2006 because of its inadequate cooperation with IAEA investigations.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
They're definitely developing nukes. I think that's pretty obvious.

They are the biggest military force in the Middle East and one of the biggest in the world.

Yes, it scares me, but I am hoping MAD is enough to stop even fanatical Muslims (which I am not saying all of Iran is) from launching nukes willy nilly.

Iran's foreign relations are based on two strategic principles: eliminating outside influences in the region and pursuing extensive diplomatic contacts with developing and non-aligned countries. Iran maintains diplomatic relations with almost every member of the United Nations, except for Israel, which Iran does not recognize, and the United States since the Iranian Revolution.
Also, predictions estimate Iran could muster the biggest army in terms of humans in the event of war - larger even than China (though less skilled). Of course, they have less nukes than the West, and their military capabilities pale in comparison to America's.

Also, if they go to war with Israel, mutual defence treaties would I believe drag the US into it, which would in turn drag Japan, Australia, South Korea, the United Kingdom, Turkey (what a pickle), etc into it on Israel's side. Furthermore, I suspect places like Russia would also be strongly in favour of Israel/US rather than Iran, especially under Putin.

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^ Do you really think that Iran will actually go to war any time soon?

I personally dont think so, and i really hope they dont. Ahmadinejad's words are mostly just empty threats.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
MaNiElla said:
^ Do you really think that Iran will actually go to war any time soon?

I personally dont think so, and i really hope they dont. Ahmadinejad's words are mostly just empty threats.
Agreed.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
In most countries incitement comes as a crime or at least something frowned upon greatly.

Ahmedinijad has incited to commit genocide. I'll frown upon him.

It's unfortunate that the nation is under his Islamist extremist leadership, as under any more moderate Israeli-accepting government I would love to visit it.

Ba'al Shem Tov

يهوه هو الرب
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)