Banned
HSC
N/A
mining and purifying uranium is very unclean
transportation presents the risk of exposure, contamination
waste is still deadly and radioactive
HowStuffWorks
Greenpeace

get over yourself seriously. maybe you should learn to accept that people have their own opinions, instead of insulting them every time they say them. grow up.
Wow greenpeace. And did you call out Kwayera for posting unreliable resources lol?

Cant believe i got banned for this shit. Arguing with kids who use fucking year 10 geography as a source.

cookkii

HSC
Wow greenpeace. And did you call out Kwayera for posting unreliable resources lol?

i admit that greenpeace would be biased, but theres a reason i used more than one source.
and with wikipedia, you just need an account to put up whatever bs you want to.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
Or, like i said, you could look at the citations provided on wikipedia when making a judgement over the reliability of the article.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
i admit that greenpeace would be biased, but theres a reason i used more than one source.
bs which then gets deleted by other members.

Also your other source was HowStuffWorks. Hardly an authority.

cookkii

HSC
fine. i apologise if my posts have offended any of you. seeing as now i cant post on anything without being attacked about it, i shall stop, just for your peace of mind.

Sprangler

HSC
Lol you just completely ignore what everyone else says.

Wikipedia is a reliable source, as a SUMMARY, it is not used as a 100% complete reference, you're meant to use it as a base, and then check out the references in order to do further research. Obvious bullshit generally gets deleted within minutes.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
fine. i apologise if my posts have offended any of you. seeing as now i cant post on anything without being attacked about it, i shall stop, just for your peace of mind.
fucking thank you!

lulz_at_u

HSC
Nuclear power should be embraced by Australia. On talkback the other day i heard there is encouraging research into possible uses of the waste material from a reactor in America.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Cookii, its now a used reference in the English Department of a our school lol. Wait till you get Global Village, i bet $10 you will get the same source as i did.

HSC
If it's safe, then yes, of course we should have it. It'd just be awful to have another Chernobyl.

Kolefax

HSC
They are fairly safe. I'm pretty sure there is a nuclear reactor over at Lucas Heights. Thats where we get radio isotopes.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
ssues with transportation, storage etc. of radioactive material outweigh benefits imo...some idiot will always screw up and cause some epic accident...like they stuffed up at chernobyl :D techies and scientists stuffed up, didn't have proper training and caused a massive disaster...whilst aus would probably have tighter controls, i don't trust anyone....
As kwayera mentioned earlier in this thread the number of accidents in nuclear plants/transportation is actually very very very low.

Only two meltdowns in the last forty (?) years and they were a while ago now. Nuclear plants are not all run like Chernobyl or the plant in Springfield. They are actually remarkably safe. Otherwise countries like France which uses Nuclear for 76% of it's energy needs would be a radioactive wasteland.

HSC
So how come everyone's so worried about it? Is it just because of the well-known effects of nuclear disaster d'you think? Like Chernobyl and Hiroshima...I mean...they're not easy to forget.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
hiroshima wasnt really a disaster lol more like a success

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So how come everyone's so worried about it? Is it just because of the well-known effects of nuclear disaster d'you think? Like Chernobyl and Hiroshima...I mean...they're not easy to forget.
When something does go wrong it's a pretty big deal - this promotes irrational fear.

For example statistically driving a car is far more dangerous than flying in a plane - however people are scared of flying not driving. This is because when a car breaks down it's at most an inconvenience whereas when a plane breaks down everyone dies.

Note: the French and Japanese don't seem afraid of nuclear power - and the Japanese have certainly seen the devastation first hand. PS: when a reactor melts down it doesn't go off like a nuclear weapon so they aren't really that comparable.

Last edited:

Kolefax

HSC

Its not a nuclear disaster we are worried about. Its the waste from using the uranium to power the thing. That stuff takes millions of years to decay from radio-active uranium. If everyone used nuclear power everywhere, there would be extremely large amounts of radioactive waste. And its not easy to dispose of either.

So unless they only use nuclear power till we can fund a better, cleaner method of power, e.g. solar (yes, it can work, but you need lots of them).
Or, as i suggested earlier and got infracted for cos they thought it was spam, launch the waste into space somehow.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hmm. Yeah...totally.
It was intended to cause a massive explosion and destroy most of the city. It did just that.

Therefore a complete success and not a disaster at all.

But there is a different thread for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)