• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nuclear Power? (1 Viewer)

Should we consider Nuclear power?

• Yes

Votes: 51 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A couple of articles recently have started to discuss Nuclear power as a serious option for Australia. In my opinion this is a good thing as Nuclear power is an excellent clean source of energy for Australia, in fact I don't think that we can take envrionmentalists seriously if they are unwilling to consider it.

What are your thoughts? In favour or against and why?

The Canberra Times said:
The push for Australia to go nuclear is gaining momentum, but the Federal Government won't have a bar of it.

The Government's own nuclear body, the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, says it's time to give ''active consideration'' to nuclear power.

In a submission to the Government's white paper on energy, the organisation said nuclear power was safe, reliable, readily available and would become more cost-effective.

In a separate submission, mining giant Rio Tinto talked up nuclear power and called on the Government to make a decision about it by 2020.
Rio Tinto, the majority holder in Australia's biggest uranium mine, said nuclear power ''may provide the optimum clean, reliable and affordable energy option'' in some regions.

The pro-nuclear push has been buoyed by the expansion of Australia's uranium industry; two new mines have been approved, taking the total to five.
But Climate Change Minister Penny Wong does not want to lift the ban on nuclear power.

She said Australia was blessed for energy options, including solar, wind, wave and geothermal, and did not need nuclear power.
''Our focus as a government is on developing those resources,'' the minister said. AAP
Not even a half-life for nuclear - National News - National - General - The Canberra Times

Annabel Crabb in smh said:
The Howard government's nuclear review, headed by the former Telstra boss Ziggy Switkowski, reported that one-third of Australia's energy needs could be supplied by 25 nuclear power stations, commissioned and built by the year 2050.
Labor did not hesitate; it commenced the most opportunistic public campaign of opposition imaginable, ignoring the report's conditionalities and its long lead-time and spruiking "Mr Howard's 25 nuclear reactors, coming to an electorate near you".

Local electorate material advised marginal seat voters that seeing as John Howard hadn't specified exactly where the associated "nuclear waste dumps" were going to go, they might as well go on and assume that a home Chernobyl was heading for the nature strip.

Pretty potent stuff; when it comes to political fruit in this country, it doesn't hang much lower than "Nuclear Reactor Coming Your Way".

As a result, Kevin Rudd is just as hidebound by his own past words and pronouncements as Peter Garrett is.

The only difference is that the PM is showing no signs of recanting, even in the face of the growing energy crisis.

Here's what the environmental activist Tim Flannery wrote in 1996: "Before we make up our minds on how we respond to the Prime Minister's call for debate on nuclear power, let's think through where our response might lead. An angry rebuttal of nuclear power could mire our nation in a heated but not very enlightened argument that will take the focus off the real issue - climate change - for years."

Sounds kind of prescient, doesn't it?

Malcolm Turnbull believes that nuclear power is a real option for Australia, but he doesn't see any use at all in pursuing it without some kind of bipartisan open-mindedness, and he is right.

And Labor's refusal to contemplate the issue is looking more and more like stubbornness. We are quite happy to flog our uranium to others for peaceful purposes, after all.

Many of the reservations about nuclear power - including the cost - need to be reconsidered in light of what we have learned about the real cost of fossil fuels.

And the Prime Minister is only too prepared to remind us that the consequences of failing to cut our carbon emissions are gothic in the extreme; death by sunstroke or beriberi, catastrophic weather events and the disappearance of the Great Barrier Reef.

If climate change is indeed the greatest challenge of our time, is it really appropriate to be ignoring one feasible and low-carbon - albeit contentious - solution? Is the Government serious enough about all of this to risk its own political hide?

Not at the moment, it seems, although there are ministers who will readily concede in private that nuclear should be part of the debate.

Why should Australia martyr itself for world energy purposes by consenting to store nuclear waste in the vast and peaceful expanses of our largely deserted continent, the nuclear opponents ask.

Well, the sacrifice of Australian business interests towards an ambitious world effort to cut carbon emissions has the distinct whiff of martyrdom about it, and that doesn't seem to bother the Ruddbot and his followers.

What would it mean for the Rudd Government now to allow a sensible revisitation of the nuclear issue?

A strong degree of political discomfort, certainly; accusations of backflipping, of course, and considerable loss of skin from the prime ministerial hide.
Annabel Crabb | Peter Garrett

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
A couple of articles recently have started to discuss Nuclear power as a serious option for Australia. In my opinion this is a good thing as Nuclear power is an excellent clean source of energy for Australia, in fact I don't think that we can take envrionmentalists seriously if they are unwilling to consider it.

What are your thoughts? In favour or against and why?

Not even a half-life for nuclear - National News - National - General - The Canberra Times

Annabel Crabb | Peter Garrett
Sir i will be arguing the affirmative

I am strongly of the opinion that 'environmentalists' cannot be taken seriously while they continue to oppose nuclear energy.

If someone would like to arguing the negative, i would encourage them to post the cons of nuclear power in dot point, so it is easier to destroy them.

Edit: plenty of space for waste

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Edit: plenty of space for waste[/quote]

plenty of space for waste now, but what about when that space is filled with nuclear waste?
+ technology for storing aforementioned waste? the waste outlasts the materials in which they store it...?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Exhibit A

Because nuclear plants emit no greenhouse gases, France has the cleanest air in the industrialized world, and because the price of oil is now around $60 a barrel, it has the lowest electric bills in Europe. In fact, France has so much cheap electricity, it exports it to its European neighbors. French nuclear plants supply power to parts of Germany, Italy and help light the city of London.
France: Vive Les Nukes - 60 Minutes - CBS News

A large nuclear power plant produces 3 cubic metres of waste per year. To date the USA has accumulated ~1800 cubic metres of waste.

IMO Australia is better able to cope with nuclear waste than most if not all countries in the world. Very very low population density, coupled with large areas of basically uninhabitable land give us a huge advantage over the USA, let alone France. We could store our nuclear waste for the next 100 years at Woomera, easily. The place already glows so its not going to matter lol.

Australia has massive amounts of uranium. Why not take advantage of this? Other countries are. The most advanced countries in the world rely on nuclear power, and we are much more suited for it than they are.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
after the next 100 years?
why rely on a source of energy that produces toxic waste when there are other technologies which are sustainable and suited to Australia's climate?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Edit: plenty of space for waste
plenty of space for waste now, but what about when that space is filled with nuclear waste?
+ technology for storing aforementioned waste? the waste outlasts the materials in which they store it...?[/quote]

We dont need technology to store it mang, at best it just needs to be submerged under water. Who cares if we have a small facility in the desert thats slightly radioactive? Radioactive waste is not particularly large eh.

Exhibit B

A coal power plant releases 100 times as much radiation as a nuclear power plant of the same wattage.
Coal Combustion - ORNL Review Vol. 26, No. 3&4, 1993
It is estimated that during 1982, US coal burning released 155 times as much radioactivity into the atmosphere as the Three Mile Island accident.
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~aubrecht/coalvsnucMarcon.pdf#page=8
ohio state represent!

But nuclear ftw

If you like the environment i guess.

You like the environment dont you? Dont you?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
why rely on a source of energy that produces toxic waste when there are other technologies which are sustainable and suited to Australia's climate?
plz provide information on said technologies and how they are more suited to australias climate instead of making ridiculous unfounded claims thanks

E

Empyrean444

I would certainly support Nuclear energy, but one of the problems with it is placement of the reactors, considering that a 'not in my backyard' mentality still permeates a large portion of people. Mind you, we ought to be able to solve this obstinacy, considering that the overwhelming advantages of nuclear power.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
I would certainly support Nuclear energy, but one of the problems with it is placement of the reactors, considering that a 'not in my backyard' mentality still permeates a large portion of people. Mind you, we ought to be able to solve this obstinacy, considering that the overwhelming advantages of nuclear power.
Referring to my previous post regarding the radioactivity of coal fired power plants, i believe if people were properly informed and educated about the risks of living near a coal fired plant and nuclear plant, they would understand the significant benefits involved with having a nuclear plant on their doorstep.

The current government/greenie movement is doing no such thing.

I would much prefer to have 155times less radiation in my air due to living near a nuclear plant than a coal plant personally.

Last edited:

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
whoever voted no is a paint huffing moron who wishes nothing but complete destruction of earth through global warming

just sayin

Edit: opposition=neutralised

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Excellent, we should have been doing this 20 years ago. We have huge ass deserts and plenty of room to store waste so its not a problem.

Coal powerplants pump out far more waste and smog and greenhouse gases and not enough electricity and cause cancer with their own waste.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
And the winrar is

Affirmative

Nah but seriously Penny Wong is a fucking dolt

She is only holding out because they got a heap of the 'greenie' vote in the election by opposing nuclear power

even though adopting it would let us EASILY meat our kyoto targets for 2020 or whatever

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
plz provide information on said technologies and how they are more suited to australias climate instead of making ridiculous unfounded claims thanks
Agree with Shane, ashie's statement requires more details and a citation.

The key issue which alternative energy is that it typically isn't a viable business model. Large scale solar/wind/tidal/etc plants have a very high per/kw cost.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No one wants a coal-fired ppower plant in their backyard either...

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Where is Geothermal a viable option in Australia? Like to eliminate the need for Coal?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I want us to not only have nuclear energy, but nuclear weaponry so we can stop being China's bitch xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)