Number of units? (1 Viewer)

northofnorth

HSC
Ill ask this question in this forum as you guys would have made this decision. How many units can you have in years 11 and 12? I know there is a lot of study for over 13ish but i heared someone (at a selective) did 19 in prelim and 16 in HSC?

undalay

HSC
The amount of units you can do varies from school to school.

At my school the max is 14 for prelim and 12 for hsc. Exceptions apply.

cheeki chiki

HSC
N/A
Our school is pretty open. It's just if you can handle it and it fits on lines. One girl completed 14units for prelim and she wasn't accelerated.;)

HSC
At my school 13 is the most common, generally 6 subjects and an extension, but you can have 14 and even 15+ if you talk to the co-ordinators explaining why you'd do something so crazy. o_O

It's probably a good idea to go with 14 units so you have leeway to drop one subject (or 2 extensions) sometime during the preliminary year. (The minimum for year 11 being 12 units).

cheeki chiki

HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
At my school 13 is the most common, generally 6 subjects and an extension, but you can have 14 and even 15+ if you talk to the co-ordinators explaining why you'd do something so crazy. o_O

It's probably a good idea to go with 14 units so you have leeway to drop one subject (or 2 extensions) sometime during the preliminary year. (The minimum for year 11 being 12 units).
14 is a bit hectic. I think 12 or 13 units is optimal for year 11 because you don't want to burn yourself out. However you can always drop "excess" units ie if you're above the mininmum requirement of 12 for prelim.

HSC
cheeki chiki said:
14 is a bit hectic. I think 12 or 13 units is optimal for year 11 because you don't want to burn yourself out. However you can always drop "excess" units ie if you're above the mininmum requirement of 12 for prelim.
I agree, I sort of meant 14 just for the first few weeks so you can get a feel for the subjects. Probably worth doing if you need to toss up between 2 subjects.

HSC
northofnorth said:
Ill ask this question in this forum as you guys would have made this decision. How many units can you have in years 11 and 12? I know there is a lot of study for over 13ish but i heared someone (at a selective) did 19 in prelim and 16 in HSC?
that person probably accelerated in a few subjects thats why they could do that many units.

i did 13 in year 11, dropped back to 11 in year 12. most people at my school did 11 or 12 units for their hsc.

Black Hawker

HSC
At our school our max for prelim is 12 in school units and 2 for TVET if you want. For HSC, our school strongly recomments at least 12 units.

northofnorth

HSC
guys relax i am in year 12..........if you would just look to the side it says hsc 2007. I just wanted to see if any overachievers would come out and say "i do 19 units", so sorry for making you guys answer.
P.s i do 11 units

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I don't think we have a maximum either. And our minimum is the BOS minimum, except they "strongly advise" we don't go into Year 12 with only 10 units if we're picking up an extension course.

ekirii

iota
HSC
ditto to that.

19!?

EDIT: but a girl at my school did 20+ two years back. don't know how she did it but she did.

HSC
accelerated in a few subjects, maybe finished hsc for a couple of subjects a year early, maybe even two or more.

p.s. soulsearcher doesn't really do 19 units.

ekirii

iota
HSC
if it isn't enough, i'll pretend you still do 19units and are amazing.

although, for your distinction course comment, i am not back to square one. choices. choices. choices.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ekirii said:
if it isn't enough, i'll pretend you still do 19units and are amazing.

although, for your distinction course comment, i am not back to square one. choices. choices. choices.
Nah, I'm fine with you thinking that I'm annoying and unamazing and so forth :)

Hmm yeah, difficult choices, all I can recommend is researching it and figure out which of the courses interest you the most, because once you drop out, you cannot go back in the course later if you felt you made a bad decision.

ekirii

iota
HSC
lol. yeah, i'll research as soon as exams are over.

i just spent the time i should have been studying she-devil on here and skype.

i suppose it's lucky that my internet gets cut off at 1am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)