O-Week...is there any point in going? (1 Viewer)

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
ah man. twisting the truths just to persuade uni noobs to go to one's uni.

not cool. *shakes head*

drmix

HSC
N/A
does UNSW still have source or wateva the student union now?! coz of the voluntary student fee being introduced?! ~ or is that the whole ATC thing?

*wonders who will supply the diaries etc

Chris.

HSC
why cant i just wait until uni actually starts to get a ID card? and what do u do with it? do u need it?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Chris. said:
why cant i just wait until uni actually starts to get a ID card? and what do u do with it? do u need it?
If you're full time you'll be using it as your concession card. No concession card before your high school concession card expires = paying full fare. And yes you need it, its your student card.

O-week and week 1 is when everyone ay uni tries to get their card. Imagine every single student at UNSW in one queue, and you at the end waiting. Much better idea to get it earlier.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i remember getting the student ID a couple of weeks after i got my offer and the queue was only a handful of people, so it is your best bet to get it as quickly as possible

gman03

HSC
O-Week for guys:

Look for chics, watch chics getting lost, go up to lost chics, chat with chics - hell just chics!

O-Week for girls:

dress up so blokes look at them, pretend to be lost, getting approached by random, pretend interested and talk to them - hell forget about them next day, if not sooner

O-Week for everyone:

Don't get your <del>diaries</del> ID cards, stupid!

Why I went to O-week when I was younger?

* Need to know which bus to catch
* Need to know how to avoid CBS people during first week
* Need to meet a friend and TELL THEM to buy the text book, and borrow off them later.
* Just need to know where all the toilets are :S

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
gman03 said:
O-Week for guys:

Look for chics, watch chics getting lost, go up to lost chics, chat with chics - hell just chics!

O-Week for girls:

dress up so blokes look at them, pretend to be lost, getting approached by random, pretend interested and talk to them - hell forget about them next day, if not sooner

O-Week for everyone:

Don't get your <del>diaries</del> ID cards, stupid!

Why I went to O-week when I was younger?

* Need to know which bus to catch
* Need to know how to avoid CBS people during first week
* Need to meet a friend and TELL THEM to buy the text book, and borrow off them later.
* Just need to know where all the toilets are :S
rofl good one gman

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, good one, I quite agree....*cough* I think it should be a "DO NOT DO the following" before Gman's post. It would be amusing though if a female in this forum did get to meet up with gman.

Lol Shox, Yeah, it is a little lame trying to 'persuade' students to take their degree at UNSW >.> by the use of free stuff, but you'll be amazed at how frantic some people get about free bbqs, diaries, etc. Though, honestly, don't judge a university by its UAI, but then again I'm not driving you into the wrong direction of going into UWS or anything :p Just be sure to check the environment at the university.

UNSW Source will be changed over to another name, but I think it's still run by Source's president. Our uni has made an effort to keep all shops that used to be run by Source (student organisation), to continue to run as normal.

Also, for ID cards, depending on how frantic you want to save at least $1 per trip to UNSW and back home via NSW's Supreme transport system of buses & trains, then you may get them once you've started your classes at uni. I don't think first year students really need to swipe their card to enter rooms, except for some Comp labs in the library.

HSC
i recommend you dont buy your books until lecturer tells you which ones, unsw has a habit of back flipping whihc books too get (they did that with micro/macro econ books combo last year)

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
mmmm, nah its cool - i would hardly think i'd turn up at UWS since it would take me a million years to get there...

ok either im missing something.... or. :/ ...... - are peeps saying that we should (if u don't want to be standing in a line 34758993785319 ppl long) - to go b4 O-Week to get ID cards?!

HSC
id only bother if your in need of the concession pass on it, even if u where.. you can use the one given last year until 31st of march, just get your student card later. that line is litrelly 30min-60min at least, although when i was there i got free chocolate by some promo people :D

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol, anyway mate you don't 'need' to get it on O-Week, nor it is it entirely required for you to get it before O-week. :p

However, you will HAVE to get your Student ID card as soon as possible, perhaps even on your first break between lectures or labs, or tutorials. Since, you'll be idling around uni having nothing to do in your first week, unless you've teamed up with some of your high school friends or something.

Though, me and a friend went to uni a few weeks before O-week to get our ID cards + ask a few enrolment questions onsite + check out the possible bus routes to get to UNSW & Back to central station...it's frustrating sometimes to locate your transportation route on the day you're meant to go to uni, but that's just my 5 cents.:santa:

Zaphk

HSC
eh? I think if you want to join in clubs and societies theres usually an o-week discount fee.

Other things would be o-week packages, free goodies and special student cards giveaways. If you've never been to one, its useful but for me once was enough.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
clubs and societies are usually a waste of money since you end up doing nothing much in them besides the odd r'nb party.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
o-weeks awesome, last year my mates and i harrassed everyone and just got as much free shit as possible (i do every degree). i plan to do the same this year, fun times. oh yeah and you'll end up in the id card queue for a few hours if you go during o-week.

Rekkusu

HSC
Nah it won't be closed. Depending on the time you get there.

E-Spot is open from 8AM till 4:30PM Mon to Friday. It may have extended opening times during enrolment periods.

Here's all the info needed for first-years:
http://www.security.unsw.edu.au/espot/

gman03

HSC
On a more serious note, when the O-week timetable comes out, don't just plan to attend the ones related to your degree. (E.g. if you are going to do Engineering, don't just attend the Engineering Welcome and welcome by your school).

The faculty welcome is usually a waste of time, apart from knowing who the dean is. School Welcome is a bit more relavant as you get to meet your cohort (and know some suckers on that day... like those that you get "copy" assignments off in weeks time).

What I would suggest you to do is attend other school's welcome... not to learn about how fatastic English/Law/Commerce is, but to meet even more people to social with. I saw a post on the forum a couple of weeks ago questioning the social life in UNSW (which later turned into a stupid discussion between UNSW/USYD/UTS, fucking stupid posters), but this o-week is ONE of the chance for you to meet people you don't do assignment with. Can't say more as I have yet to meet anyone due to my ugly appearance, but you can do better!!

As for ID cards - FORGET IT DURING O-WEEK!!!! You have been adviced on this forum... don't follow the suckers in the queue!!! Get it a week before or from week 1 wednesday when queue is much shorter.

University offer releases soon ... good luck ppl!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)