O- Week. (1 Viewer)

satinandlace

HSC
What on earth happens on O-week?
Do we pick subjects then or on enrolment day?

I'm confused!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
It largely depends on where you're going. I can't speak for the other universities since I'm from the University of New England, but I can tell you what we do. Since most of us are living on-campus, O Week usually has a few activities for the Freshers to get to know each other a little better, with a few Returners, the academic mentors and resident fellows on hand.

We do pick our subjects in O Week, but most first-year subjects generally have compulsory subjects, so it's not too difficult to make your choices. You may also get course advice and planning; I know we do at UNE, but I'm betting you're going to a metro uni.

satinandlace

HSC
Yeah. I plan to go to usyd.
But thats good to know, especially about the compulsory subjects,
do classes get filled up early?

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
what do u class as a metro uni (giv examples) ? lol

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
It's not a case of first in, best-dressed with regards to classes, but again, I can only speak for UNE (it's probably very similar across the board anyway). Once you enrol in a course, you have to do the compulsories. They cannot turn you away because they've already put a certain number of people into a unit.

However - and this is where it may differ between UNE and USyd - we get to choose our tutorials or workshops and practicals (tutorials are like school classes; workshops and practicals are like high school science labs), and then it is a case of first in, best-dressed because you need to structure your timetable accordingly.

The real difficulty you may encounter in the fact that you only have space for a certain number of units per year (at UNE it's eight) and you may have more than eight compulsory subjects to do, so you'll have to do some first-year subjects in your second year if this is the case (I have to do one in my third because we can't enroll if we have a clash and no combination of units let me do one of mine ...).

Generally, there will be people on-hand to assist you. It's easier when you're staying on-campus because you know exactly who to see, but I would be surprised if they don't offer one-on-one course planning in the days leading up to enrolment. However, because first year is usually made up of compulsory subjects, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Uh... well my O-Week was nothing but a big party really. Fairy floss, free music, candy, trivia, uni tours, and a one hour introduction to my course.

It was pretty much the same at every uni o-week i went to.

O-weeks are supposed to be fun. I didn't enrol in anything at O-week, by the time o-week came around I was alreayd set to go

??

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
O-week is pretty much the week before classes start, there are stalls around for various clubs and societies, sausage sizzles and the like, maybe a little music. It really isn't that exciting unless you live on campus, I remember being massively dissapointed about O-week when it happened simply because I expected it be so much more.

Monstar

HSC
wow.. i had the impression it was some crazy excuse to get drunk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)