O Week (1 Viewer)

Kiim2507

HSC
I hope there isn't a thread already..I looked but didn't see one

Anyways I was just wondering what happens at O Week?
Do you have to go?/Do you have to be there everyday? Cos I'm working :(

xsavagex

HSC
isn't o week from the 23rd... and that is when lectures start so you'd be there anyway?

HSC
I think the other person got it wrong.

february 23 is when semester 1 officially starts, and thus the start of the first lectures.

but academic oritentation for new students is before that and is occuring this week.

According to the sheet I got from the enrolment day, these are the dates of the academic orientation for the different faculties:

Human Sciences = February 17 (Tuesday)

Arts = February 18 (Wednesday)

Science + Acturial Studies = February 19 (Thursday)

Business + Economics = February 20 (Friday)

So yeah, the course you're doing should be in one of those faculties.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Academic Orientation != O Week, confusing I know.

Orientation is the week prior to semester starting, O Week is the first week of semester, its more O 2/3 days.

Manchie

HSC
i still dont understand.. what do we hav to do during 23rd-26th ? do we hav classes? or juz have fun? do we need to go there everyday? sooooooooooooo confused.

williamc

HSC
i still dont understand.. what do we hav to do during 23rd-26th ? do we hav classes? or juz have fun? do we need to go there everyday? sooooooooooooo confused.
dont talk like a 12yo lebanese girl.

In the first week of uni, you have lectures in which the lecturer mainly runs through the unit outline for the course, and does the first introduction lecture on the topic. Most units cancel prac's and tutes in the first week.

All there is in O-week is a few stalls set up in the main courtyard for all these shit groups you can join. Oh, and some losers walking around in sausage suits trying to get you to join the WANG club. (the only decent club to join)

lucidassembly

HSC
All there is in O-week is a few stalls set up in the main courtyard for all these shit groups you can join. Oh, and some losers walking around in sausage suits trying to get you to join the WANG club. (the only decent club to join)
I've heard there are some big concerts too... are there performances and activities, or is it more or less only stalls? :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've heard there are some big concerts too... are there performances and activities, or is it more or less only stalls? :)
Not really, there used to be some big acts, but there's not so many these days, most of the big concerts are left for Conception Day.

jelabay

HSC
dont talk like a 12yo lebanese girl.

In the first week of uni, you have lectures in which the lecturer mainly runs through the unit outline for the course, and does the first introduction lecture on the topic. Most units cancel prac's and tutes in the first week.

how do you know if your prac's and tutes have been cancelled?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You don't so turn up to your lectures and find out :)

dolbinau

HSC
If Pracs/Tuts are before lectures then does that mean they definitely aren't on? I mean, what could we do if they were anyway.

cxlxoxk

HSC
To clear things up:

On the week starting at the 23rd of february are there any lectures for the units we are doing? Are there tutorials?

If so why are there also special events/stalls on during those days? Wouldn't people would be limited in their ability to able to attend them if they have lectures at the time?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
To clear things up:

On the week starting at the 23rd of february are there any lectures for the units we are doing? Are there tutorials?

If so why are there also special events/stalls on during those days? Wouldn't people would be limited in their ability to able to attend them if they have lectures at the time?

I think lectures start that week and most tutorials the week after, i could very easily be wrong though.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To clear things up:

Lectures go for an hour, stalls go for most of the day.

Tutorials may or may not be on, check with your lecturer/convenor

kevinant

HSC
it's pretty $#!T that we have classes on O-week, that does not happen in USYD or UNSW. But yea, the lectures are running on O-week, not many tutes is going to be on, the only stuffs I know on the first week is ACST200 tute (B***dy lecturer gave us holiday tute questions!) and COMP225 pracs. I don't think First-year students have their tutes in first week except ACST151.

For O-week this year it's four days (more than 3 days last year) and in the central courtyard, which is not as interesting as last year. Last year we had O-weeks by the huge lake and whoa we had bumping cars and giant slides which turned it to something like a theme park. I doubt that is happening in this year's O-week (central courtyard is sooooo~ small!!!). But the O-week in this uni is mainly for promoting university societies, unlike other uni where they hold "surviving uni" and lectures like that as well.

dolbinau

HSC
Well by having lectures and O-week at the same time doesn't that just increase the chances of people being at the Uni/joining the societies etc..? I don't see why it is bad..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)