Oblivion: Any good? (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Im into rpg's, though morrowind actaully lost my interest after several hours. Whats your opinion of the latest one?

Cheers,
Ac

robo-andie

HSC
Very similar apparently. I haven't played it, but from all reports, the game can be explored in detail within days (perhaps even hours). I would still give it a crack though, never know, it could be an absolute blast. It really depends on how into RPG 's you are. If you are looking for RPG hack n slash, you may get bored quickly. If it's serious RP you're looking for, you may find it very pleasant to play.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You can spend days just admiring the grass...if your graphics card is powerful enough to render it in its full glory (most likely not, and even if you have a X1900XT Crossfire, it will still be brought down to its knees with HDR and AA/AS on max).

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Its quite good, i was impressed although actual gameplay is not as exciting as other games, looks and immersion are fantastic.

G2g study for last 2 exams 2moz, might do a writeup later

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Yeah is pretty awesome...main complaints are the levelling system doesnt work too well as you can complete the game at like level 1 and the fast travel kinda ruins the atmosphere.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
so is it worth getting morrowwind? cause its like $10 at EB. i dunno if it's worth playing an older game.

robo-andie

HSC
Morrowind is really fun!

Personally, I think Morrowind is worth more than $10, you will probably get the same amount of game play out of it as you would Oblivion (maybe less, considering you won't spend hours admiring graphics).

Def. buy it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i was more interested in gameplay actually. i mean graphics were great but i quickly got over it. i might get i after exams.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Yeah should get oblivion...the flaws i pointed out are more frustrating if you loved morrowind as well.

Though might as well get morrowind.

chaaad

HSC
oblivions awesome x).. if you're into actual roleplay i mean.. like questing and stuff. dont get it if you're all for hack n slash though.. cos the combat system's quite terrible, and monsters arent all THAT frequent (compared to other games). but otherwise, its great.. its massive and you can virtually do what you want, and that.. imo.. is the basis for a good rpg =)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Many consider it to be a most excellent RPG. I plan on getting it early next year when I have a DX10 rig set up. It's gonna look beaut @ 19*12, high AA/AF, all graphical features enabled.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Collin said:
Many consider it to be a most excellent RPG. I plan on getting it early next year when I have a DX10 rig set up. It's gonna look beaut @ 19*12, high AA/AF, all graphical features enabled.
You're still going to get killed on outdoors with that. Yes, average frame rate will be high enough to be fluid, but at times it will drop to below acceptable.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I read some AnandTech Oblivion guide, and they did mention that indoors vs. outdoors can be a big difference. That is, a few enemies or some magic can spell disaster for your FPS. I'm even comtemplating G80 SLi/R600 CF if I get a good return this year for tax.

One interesting thing I will mention though, some people have actually claimed that Oblivion can be at times CPU-bound. I saw a few benchies today (lost the link, will try to find it) with Oblivion, benched by a guy using an OCed Opteron @ 3GHz vs. a OCed Conroe @ 3GHz (both setups otherwise identical; also using 7900GT SLi). In many benchmarks including the various 3DMarks and popular titles out, the Conroe beat the 3GHz Opteron by anywhere from 0-20%. But in the Oblivion 16*12 4xAA benchmark, the minimum FPS by the Opteron rig (includes outdoors) was around 12fps, and the minimum for the Conroe rig was around 30fps. For average fps, Conroe benched ALOT better too. So I'm thinking provided I get a good Conroe with one of these new cards, minimum frames may not be such a huge issue.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Get the new Motorola 500GHz chip. Or if you don't like cryogenic cooling, downclock it to 300GHz :p

amanmai

HSC
I prefer Morrowind over Oblivion, simply for the Main Quest.

Oblivion is pretty but once you get used to it, nothing really surprises you anymore. There's nothing that's actually interesting after the first ten hours of gameplay. Especially after the main quest. It's almost too open-ended.

Morrowind: I'd played over 100 hours and still hadn't finished the main quest because I'd get sidetracked. You don't get side tracked much in Oblivion. You can't really because the Main Quest is actually pretty linear once you just sit down and do it. Morrowind's Main Quest was slightly linear as well, but longer and took you through more places so that you would be sidetracked by quests along the road. The quick travel feature was too tempting for me and really ruined the game.

It's worth getting, if only for those initial ten hours of gameplay... plus, for some people, they really get into it, while others, like me, expected a little bit more and jsut get disappointed and then bored with the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love RPGs, I crave them. Good ones, anyway. But Oblivion wasn't really much of an RPG, in my opinion. More Action with a lot of map and dungeons, really.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i absolutely loved oblivion, although on the 360 there was a caching problem which led to some strange load times (although not that bad, as you simply had to clear the cache).

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i only have a 64mb graphics card? do u think it will run well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)