Occupational Therapy - Info package :) (1 Viewer)

omeot

HSC
N/A
Hello,
I'm an exchange student coming to USYD to complete my master's in Occupational Therapy.

I will have to choose 5 courses among these electives:
OCCP 5187 Falls Prevention with Older People
OCCP 5235 Stroke Rehabilitation
OCCP 5245 OT in Learning and Co-ord Difficulties
OCCP 5246 OT in Work Injury Prevention and Rehab
OCCP 5247 Mental Health Interventions
OCCP 5248 People with Intellectual Disability
OCCP 5249 Professional Elective- General
OCCP 5250 OT in Hand and Upper Limb Rehabilitation

Do you guys have any recommendations based on your experience with these courses?

Thank you so much!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Hello,
I'm an exchange student coming to USYD to complete my master's in Occupational Therapy.

I will have to choose 5 courses among these electives:
OCCP 5187 Falls Prevention with Older People
OCCP 5235 Stroke Rehabilitation
OCCP 5245 OT in Learning and Co-ord Difficulties
OCCP 5246 OT in Work Injury Prevention and Rehab
OCCP 5247 Mental Health Interventions
OCCP 5248 People with Intellectual Disability
OCCP 5249 Professional Elective- General
OCCP 5250 OT in Hand and Upper Limb Rehabilitation

Do you guys have any recommendations based on your experience with these courses?

Thank you so much!
- Falls prevention: Don't know anyone who's done it
- Stroke Rehab: I haven't done it, but it's an online subject. This is what the students did sem1 2016: You are assigned a tutor/mentor, and are given a real life client who has had a stroke. You work with the client setting goals and achieving these goals, liaising with your mentor for assistance.
- OT in Learning and Co-ord Difficulties: I haven't done it, but I think it's a school based paeds subjects from my knowledge. I think for one of the assessments you find a primary school aged child and perform a variety of assessments with them.
- OT in Work Injury Prevention and Rehab: I haven't done it, it's an Occ Rehab subject. From my knowledge one of the assignments is going out to a company and performing a workplace assessment with them.
- Mental Health Interventions: I loved this subject. The assessment tasks consisted of weekly quizzes and an open book exam based on a case study. Some of the topics include: Recovery/Recovery oriented practice, learning about the mental health services/OT roles, person based interventions, occupation based interventions, environment based interventions, suicide and self-harm, de-escalation, advocacy, drug and alcohol + others.
- People with intellectual disability: I didn't enjoy the first half, but I enjoyed the second half of this semester. One of the assessments is you're assigned a real life case study, and you develop goals with them/work with them to achieve the goals. Some of the topics include: learning about the health system, empowerment, advocacy, person centred approaches, active support, skill development, positive support, young children --> school years --> transition into adulthood --> end of life supports.
- General: I wasn't offered this as an undergrad
- Upper Limb: I didn't do this . From my understanding you make weekly splints which are assessed.

I have the 2016 unit descriptions if you want, although i assume you already have the updated descriptions. If you want more info on them I can give/get some more for you. But really, just think about what you see yourself doing in a few years, what are your interests. If you enjoy neuro then maybe you'll enjoy stroke, upper limb and falls prevention. If you enjoy paeds then learning/coord and intellectual disability would be a good combination. Hope that helped

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
This is such an amazing resource!! I'm looking to apply for the MOT as a (very) mature age student. I know you are (were?) doing the undergrad course, but I wondered if there were any older students in your cohort / if you know whether there are older students in the MOT? Looking at the course outlines I'm not sure you would be in the same classes at all? I'm 44 :speechless: so a little daunted by being old enough to be fellow students mum, but not planning on letting that stop me!!!
Hi :)

First of all, congrats on wanting to do OT (the best career path - no bias)

Yes I finished the undergrad course last year :) There were a few mature aged students in my year, mostly late 20's - late 30's. I know that there were many mature aged students in the MOT course though. I'm pretty sure there were people older than yourself. You don't need to be daunted, all the OT cohorts while I was there were really tight, and I'm sure yours will be no different.

You might have 1 class with the 4th year undergrad students in your 2nd year, and that'll be your OT elective (if you decide to do one). In your second year (assuming it's the same when you do it) there will also be 2 presentation nights (one in 1st sem, one in 2nd sem) where you'll present an assignment (more of a project) to undergrads, so there's a little integration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)