Off unsw law by 0.15 whats the chances of getting in? (1 Viewer)

KevinWu

HSC
Hey, sup guys.
So i was wondering whats the chances of getting into UNSW law if I'm 0.15 off the cut-off.
I NEED HELP!
And since imma close to the cut-off SHOULD I ask for a remark for my HSC papers? N if i did ask for a remark is it possible that they lower my marks?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Put it down but have a back up plan i.e. try law someone else or apply for a single degree at UNSW and transfer later.

So many 09ers act as if law is offeredonly at USYD and/or UNSW.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
No, it's just that everyone wants USYD and UNSW because of its reputation etc.
I am aware of why they act that way, I'm going into my fifth year of law I am aware of how much stock people put into prestige

People like you who post useless comments and don't contribute causes that amount of the same thread.
And to be fair, if you had been on here as long as us you'd get sick of reading the same questions and making the same comments over and over again

Last edited:

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I am aware of why they act that way, I'm going into my fifth year of law I am aware of how much stock people put into prestige
From your 5 years of experience at uni, does prestige matter?
Or does everyone eventually get over and realise they are all doing the same degree?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Or does everyone eventually get over and realise they are all doing the same degree?
Some students will get over it, others won't. The reality is that uni's like UWS work their students hard to try and improve their image.

Some employers care but I know some awesome students at MQ that got killer cherkships. It sucks that people care when generally you do the same subjects, use the same texts etc but all you can do is prove them wrong, opinions are changing. If you are a great student you'll do well anyway!~

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
i want to get into anu, but i have a long way to go.. and usyd isn't even the first uni in australia anyway.
but i know everyone wants to go to usyd/unsw because most people cbf to move to a craphole like canberra

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Yes.

It's not the same degree.

jeshxcore said:
i want to get into anu, but i have a long way to go.. and usyd isn't even the first uni in australia anyway.
but i know everyone wants to go to usyd/unsw because most people cbf to move to a craphole like canberra
The reference to the "first" would be a reference to the Times rankings, yeah? Those are based on the quantity and quality of research that's put out by the university - or, at least, that's the primary basis (how else do you objectively measure it?). Since you're, what, 16, I doubt this is an important factor for you. A more important metric would be graduate outcomes (eg employment uptake and graduate salaries) as well as softer factors like, yes, convenience and location.

On what I refer to as the important metrics, sydney and UNSW leave ANU for dead.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
And to be fair, if you had been on here as long as us you'd get sick of reading the same questions and making the same comments over and over again
I was just thinking of the same thing. Yet we still push on and answer these questions. :D

Yes so do put LLB at UNSW down as your first, then put a UNSW single degree down as your second preference. e.g.

1. Law/Commerce
2. Commerce

or 1. Law/Science
2. Science

If you do not get into Law, apply for a transfer after your first year. There is an internal tansfer scheme at UNSW. You can apply if:

Your UAI is 95-96.95 and a minimum WAM of 75 with no fails

OR

UAI 97-100 and a minimum WAM 70 with no fails

For more information:https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html

Tofuu

HSC
i don't think getting your HSC paper remarked would change anything as the chances of a mistake are very low, but if you have spare change and really want to, go for it

Sayangliss

HSC
Yes so do put LLB at UNSW down as your first, then put a UNSW single degree down as your second preference. e.g.

1. Law/Commerce
2. Commerce

or 1. Law/Science
2. Science

If you do not get into Law, apply for a transfer after your first year. There is an internal tansfer scheme at UNSW. You can apply if:

Your UAI is 95-96.95 and a minimum WAM of 75 with no fails

OR

UAI 97-100 and a minimum WAM 70 with no fails

For more information:https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html
So you're suggesting doing this is would be better idea than doing a combined at another uni... say UTS? and then applying for a transfer after first year?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
The transfer process is quite straightforward and simple so if you really were keen on doing law at unsw, then that would be the best option. Best thing is, even though you transferred, once you hit 4th year, you'll be at the same level as your hsc cohort who entered purely based on their ATAR. However, if you're just keen on doing law anywhere, then pick a uni that allows you to begin studying it in 2010, like UTS or MACQ

proringz

HSC
If it gives you hope, I know someone who made it into UNSW Law with a 2008 UAI of 97.15 with no EAS.

So you're suggesting doing this is would be better idea than doing a combined at another uni... say UTS? and then applying for a transfer after first year?
No, those requirements are for UNSW internal transfer. So if you are already studying in UNSW, those are the requirements you need to be able to transfer internally into Law.

Last edited:

itszen

HSC
well you could just pay upfront your fees and you could get in. Thats another option.

Failure_123

HSC

Lol? so you deliberately find my post to come back at me? you're pathetic, no wonder you ended up in UWS. You might as well go TAFE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)