• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Officeworks (2 Viewers)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
iambored said:
yeah. i know someone similar, that's why i am telling you what i am. they have been working for a long time but they like to put people, like me, down. they talk non stop, talk about what people have been doing wrong. i have since found out the manager doesn't think much of them so i take what they say as lightly as possible.

from the sounds of her personality i wouldn't be surprised if the chick, in her babble of nothingness, happened to mention to someone that you talk too fast and they agreed and said something like "yeah he should slow it down" (you know how you might think things but they don't really bother you and then when someone brings it up you just agree)and she took it upon herself to use it against you as if they told her to tell you.

maybe not but just my thoughts. i am sus about her because if she takes 30min breaks instead of 15 she can't be totally serious about working as a team, helping out the other workers and doing her job as efficiently as possible. she seems more concerned with what she can get out of things.
yeah i totally understand what you're talking about that there. i try and take what she says lightly.. coz at the end of the day, all i need to do is go there perform my duties and get my $$$. they are older than me, and well its harder to get along obviously, late 20s i reckon.

She had her off day today, so i was like *yay*. instead i was with this other guy, this guy is a champ lol. I told him what happened about someone complaining about my PA annoucements, but i didn't say specifically who it was. He just goes, "yeah i heard about that here and there", and he just says that "i understand you, you do it fine.. so it shouldn't be too much of a problem". He was pretty cool about it, but hearing so i still preferred to go slower on the PA i think coz like i mentioned i am on the 3 month probabation.

I guess today i was doing things way better. why? coz that lady wasn't there to put me off. she wasn't there to "pick up the phone coz you don't do good PA annoucements". Overall, today was relaxing. Customers were cool, and i managed to do complicated EFT transactions without help for the first time! see! im learning! :)

Now i gotta look forward to every friday, when she's not on... kinda gloomy when you think about it.

On the other hand, i find it hard to talk to the other team members. they are older and i kinda got no idea what to talk about them. when in the back room, i can sit right opposite another team member and not say anything at all. maybe im new, i don't know but even if i try and break silence, i find it pretty difficult to get some topic going. do yas have the same problem? maybe you're just nicer i don't know, its well harder i suppose.

@Suvat: im at officeworks artarmon.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Hey don't get freaked out cuz you're on probation, I'm on probation too but I'm also very relaxed at work. Try hard and work to the best of your ability, but don't get freaked out by every lil mistake you make (or people accuse you of making). Managers and supervisors won't get a negative impression of you if you make a mistake every now and then, just make sure that they know you take your work very seriously and that you are willing to learn.

And about topics to start convos in the tea room, bitching about customers is always a good place to start, works for all ages :)

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Suvat said:
I work at officeworks punchbowl, today I did the 'we're now closed announcement' (for the first time), screwed it up big time but didn't really matter cuz there were only 2 customers in the store and they were both at the checkouts.
I go to Punchbowl Officeworks...i mean tis close to my place...i know this guy from my acctB tut who works there...it mite be u? Tony? lol if not, im sorry

Panda Bear said:
maybe im new, i don't know but even if i try and break silence, i find it pretty difficult to get some topic going. do yas have the same problem? maybe you're just nicer i don't know, its well harder i suppose.
yeah i think being new might be one reason...that's like me too..but yeah kinda getting better with time. When did you start working there? i started mid November. Before I found it hard to talk to my line manager as well and now its way better, the communication.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Panda Bear said:
She had her off day today, so i was like *yay*. instead i was with this other guy, this guy is a champ lol. I told him what happened about someone complaining about my PA annoucements, but i didn't say specifically who it was. He just goes, "yeah i heard about that here and there", and he just says that "i understand you, you do it fine.. so it shouldn't be too much of a problem". He was pretty cool about it, but hearing so i still preferred to go slower on the PA i think coz like i mentioned i am on the 3 month probabation.

I guess today i was doing things way better. why? coz that lady wasn't there to put me off. she wasn't there to "pick up the phone coz you don't do good PA annoucements". Overall, today was relaxing. Customers were cool, and i managed to do complicated EFT transactions without help for the first time! see! im learning! :)

On the other hand, i find it hard to talk to the other team members. they are older and i kinda got no idea what to talk about them. when in the back room, i can sit right opposite another team member and not say anything at all. maybe im new, i don't know but even if i try and break silence, i find it pretty difficult to get some topic going. do yas have the same problem? maybe you're just nicer i don't know, its well harder i suppose.
i don't know if i'm on probation and i don't care. forget about it and do your best.

i can't believe so much of a big deal has been made about PA announcements. they should get over it already. she shouldn't be making you pick up the phone for that reason.

as for talking to older people - sometimes i find it easier. they're not as judgemental as people your own age, they normally don't give a crap about little things. but then sometimes it's harder because there is absolutely nothing to ask them. i feel rude asking about their family or what they do during the day etc. But what i have found with older (actually most) employees is you have to not be worried about being the first to say something to them. usually if you can start a conversation a few times they will do it the next time, and they'll think you're a polite young man, lol, don't fall into the stereotype of a teenager who doesn't care about anything or anyone.

maybe ask them if they live around the area, then make a comment on their suburb, even if it's pointless like "well it's good it doesn't take you long to get here. It only takes me -- so i like working here" or "my grandma lives there, it's a nice area" - say anything. ask how long they have worked there, questions about their ethnic background, if they had a good weekend, ask how long they have left of their break and comment on how nice it is to have one because you're tired. say ANYTHING. once you talk to them remember what they have told you and follow it up at a later time as a convo starter and to show you're interested. in the end a conversation is a two way street, and if they don't talk after you have tried a few times don't try to talk to them as much anymore. i often say hi to people first and if it seems they are not saying hi to me first ever and if they seem disinterested, i leave it (after i have done it a lot of times, like 10 times) and see if they say hi first at a later point. if they do i know to keep saying hi to them. i do the same with conversations to make sure i am not pissing people off by babbling. unfortunately on this board you can't stop me so.. i'm babbling. :D

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
perfectionist said:
I go to Punchbowl Officeworks...i mean tis close to my place...i know this guy from my acctB tut who works there...it mite be u? Tony? lol if not, im sorry
Yeah that's me. And who may you be? (OK, i kinda have an idea who you are but I am *hopeless* when it comes to names)

Collin

HSC
N/A
WOooooooooooo sweet.. just got a call from Woolies that I got a job at the Warringah Mall Woolworths Deli.

Now hopefully the ColesMyer dude will call me back aswell today and gimme the Officeworks job.

PS ColesMyer doesn't really care if you've got a job with Woolworths Ltd. do they.. cause you know they're both competitive and stuff? :confused:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
JKDDragon said:
WOooooooooooo sweet.. just got a call from Woolies that I got a job at the Warringah Mall Woolworths Deli.

Now hopefully the ColesMyer dude will call me back aswell today and gimme the Officeworks job.

PS ColesMyer doesn't really care if you've got a job with Woolworths Ltd. do they.. cause you know they're both competitive and stuff? :confused:
if he does, you can just poo on him :uhhuh:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
lol i work in the deli
but @ my deli none of the meats or anything are pre cut

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ahahahahaha sweet, Officeworks manager just rang me to tell me I've got that job aswell......... oh man I'm gonna be screwed for uni this year.

Collin

HSC
N/A
BreaKing said:
congrats mate
Thank you mate.. *offers you a poo cupcake* :D

Seriously, I hope they both don't care that I'm working for their rival corporations.. cause during the Woolies interview the guy goes 'Guess our sub-companies'.. and I accidentally said Target and the dude goes 'no mate.. NO, they're EVIL!!' and points his finger at me like he's about to shoot me lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)