• I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

boris

Banned
HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

withoutaface said:
I love how this is probably the only youth forum in Australia where any post even slightly left of centre is greeted with "FUCK OFF RUDD'S A CUNT, I HOPE YOU GET RAPED BY A HORDE OF ORCS".
Yeah?

Well where the hell were they last November.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

All apology threads have been merged.
The management.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Rudd can speak on behalf of all Australians all he likes but this was not a real apology. I've heard about polls that suggested the majority of people supported it... that is rubbish. As far as I am concerned no apology ever happened.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Well if they are the same thing (i dont agree that they are), then that would imply that the people are indeed responsible for the actions of the government and thus should be sorry for the stolen generation.
The government is elected by the people, so anything they say is automatically speaking on behalf of the people.

The government/people are not responsible, past governments/people are - that's if you believe people were actually stolen and not just removed for their own safety.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
If I recall year 9 history correctly, I thought they were removed to have their culture stamped out of them, not for their own safety?

Gay Captain

HSC
Azamakumar said:
If I recall year 9 history correctly, I thought they were removed to have their culture stamped out of them, not for their own safety?
Well when their culture is stone age aren't those the same thing?

It's funny how people on BoS are so comfortable bagging out Islamic culture because it's worse than ours, yet the Aborigines' was 10 times worse still than that.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Gay Captain said:
It's funny how people on BoS are so comfortable bagging out Islamic culture because it's worse than ours, yet the Aborigines' was 10 times worse still than that.
Not really. Muslim culture is about on par with pre-Settlement Australian aboriginal culture.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Lib endorses racist 'apology' email

BRENDAN Nelson has been embarrassed by a racist version of an "apology" to the Stolen Generations being circulated by prominent Liberals who don't believe the Opposition Leader should have supported last week's historic gesture.

The mock apology accuses Aborigines of being cannibals and ungrateful for the assistance they have received from white governments.

It begins: "We apologise for giving you free doctors and free medical care and medications, which allow you to survive and multiply so that you can demand apologies.

"We apologise for helping you to read and teaching you the English language and thus we opened up to you the entire European civilisation, thought and enterprise.

"We feel that we must apologise for building hundreds of homes for you, which you have vandalised and destroyed. We apologise for giving you law and order which has helped prevent you from slaughtering one another and using the unfortunate for food purposes."

The document is being circulated via email in Sydney by prominent Liberal and businessman Ian Goode. Mr Goode, a former builder, is well known in Cronulla, the southern Sydney suburb that was the scene of ugly race riots in December 2005.

Mr Goode was quoted at the time for blaming the riots on Lebanese Muslims.

While Mr Goode yesterday denied being the author of the racist "apology" - which is headed "the APOLOGY Kevin Rudd should be giving to the Aboriginals!!" - he endorsed its sentiments at the top of his email with the words: "Not politically correct, but close to the point."

Senior Liberal sources confirmed yesterday that Mr Goode was active in the party and had been chosen as a pre-selector in the recent controversial pre-selection for the Cronulla-based federal seat of Cook, though he was unable to take his place in that process.

Mr Goode also heads up the Cronulla Nippers Club - the biggest youth surf organisation in Australia.

"It was only a joke," he said.

Mr Goode said one of the people he had forwarded it to was a member of the ALP. He said he had only sent it to people he regarded as personal friends.

The "apology" he circulated continues: "We apologise for developing large farms and properties, which today feed you people, where before, you had the benefits of living off the land and starving during droughts.

"We apologise for providing you with warm clothing made of fabric to replace the animal skins you used before. We apologise for building roads and railway tracks between cities and building cars so that you no longer have to walk over harsh terrain."

"We apologise for paying off your vehicle when you fail to pay the instalments."

It concludes: "We are only too happy to take back all the above and return you to the paradise of the Outback, whenever you are ready."

The email is likely to be seized on by critics of Dr Nelson who believe his bi-partisan apology in Parliament last week was not heartfelt and that sections of the Liberal Party are continuing to privately oppose the decision.

Dr Nelson immediately distanced himself from Mr Goode. "The sentiments in the email do not represent the views of Dr Nelson," a spokesman said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23225472-421,00.html

lmao, how is it racist when it's just stating facts. :rolleyes:

ConjOB

HSC
Azamakumar said:
Well i struggle to belive that some of the people on this thread made it to year 9 history.

yeah i think some people on this forum would do well to look up a definition of racism.
eerrrr... "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."

Perfect definition. Tell me, according to this definition (source - http://www.answers.com/racism&r=67) do you think you or other peoples comments have been racist?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ConjOB said:
Well i struggle to belive that some of the people on this thread made it to year 9 history.

eerrrr... "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."

Perfect definition. Tell me, according to this definition (source - http://www.answers.com/racism&r=67) do you think you or other peoples comments have been racist?
well i don't see it as discriminatory or "refusal to recognize the rights, needs, dignity, or value of people of particular races" to be against an apology on the grounds that a) the current government cannot logically apologise on behalf of previous governments and b)that any such apology achieves nothing but symbolic wankery and as such is worthless.

ConjOB

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well i don't see it as discriminatory or "refusal to recognize the rights, needs, dignity, or value of people of particular races" to be against an apology on the grounds that a) the current government cannot logically apologise on behalf of previous governments and b)that any such apology achieves nothing but symbolic wankery and as such is worthless.
Really, that apology acheived nothing? Spoke to a few blackfella's yourself did you? Asked them what it meant to them, huh?

Didnt think so.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
It means something to the elders of their population. It means nothing to the young ones that are a drain on welfare etc.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
clearly belong to the ignorant bunch. the apology wasn't intended for the younger generation, but to the victims and those who were present at the time of the stolen generation, and as such, it means the whole world to them. the members of the parliment responsible has long been either dead or retired, so anything they say or do will have no significance at all. so tell me, would you prefer to hear an 80-year old ex-mp mumbling 'sorry', or an elected pm of the nation offering a sincere apology as one of the first acts he takes as the pm?

iamsickofyear12 said:
The government is elected by the people, so anything they say is automatically speaking on behalf of the people.

The government/people are not responsible, past governments/people are - that's if you believe people were actually stolen and not just removed for their own safety.
agreed. the government is elected by the people, for the people. i daresay the majority of this nation agrees with this motion, majority wins, therefore rudd was speaking on behalf of everyone in this country and his dog.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Azamakumar said:
The policies persisted for decades and were enforced in several jurisdictions, so there were varying reasons for removal. Cultural assimilation was one reason - to train them to join white society and to see Aboriginality as something to be ashamed of. In that vein, some policymakers simply removed half-castes because they thought that growing up with - gasp - their Aboriginal mothers would lead to a 'worse than useless' life, to quote a NSW politician from the 1910s. So instead, they were removed to institutions where at best they were trained for a life of domestic service in a society that would always treat them as an underclass because of their skin colour. What a well-thought-through policy.

Other policymakers, like Neville, invoked ideas of biological assimilation ('breeding out the colour') in which removal would mean that half-castes would have children only with whites, eventually making all half-caste descendants white, while 'full-blood' Aborigines died out in accordance with theories of social Darwinism. Biological assimilation policies are the source of the accusations of genocide that have been made by various commentators.
wuddie said:
agreed. the government is elected by the people, for the people. i daresay the majority of this nation agrees with this motion, majority wins, therefore rudd was speaking on behalf of everyone in this country and his dog.
Yep. A poll released today says about two thirds of Australians supported the apology. It's on news.com.au somewhere.

williamc

HSC
Late news about reconcilation day.

Originally, today was to be a public holiday - till Rudd realised none of the cunts have jobs.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ConjOB said:
Really, that apology acheived nothing? Spoke to a few blackfella's yourself did you? Asked them what it meant to them, huh?

Didnt think so.
oh? and how many aboriginal people have you spoken to about it? let's not play that game, everyone drags out the 'oh i've spoken to x amount of [minority]' in arguments like this and everyone knows it's bullshit.

hearing the word sorry might mean a lot to some indigenous people, and i'm glad that at least some of them have taken something positive away from what i consider to be essentially an empty gesture for reasons i outlined earlier. but if an apology is going to be truly sincere, it needs to come from the people that actually committed the wrongdoings. Rudd can apologise 'on behalf' of them all he likes, but unless it comes straight from the source, I don't consider it sincere enough to be taken so seriously by the indigenous people.

and wuddie, a retired ex-PM speaking on behalf of the government he led which actually committed the 'crimes' in question would mean so much more than a current PM speaking on behalf of governments he had nothing to do with. If they're all dead or whatever, well maybe that's our problem. Maybe we arrived at this point too late. But the idea of an apology being delivered on behalf of people and governments that the current population largely had nothing to do with is utterly stupid.

We cannot apologise sincerely. We were not there. And an insincere apology or a symbolic gesture is far more insulting than no apology at all.

Let me make something else clear. I am not against reparing our relationship with our indigenous population. I would love to see it happen in my lifetime. But empty gestures and fake sincerity (no matter how much Rudd would like to think he felt sincere) are not the way to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)