Official Summer Siesta 2007/8 Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Uh, congratulations to WAF? Pity about the circumstances, but yeah, yay!

EDIT: I'm also fairly pleased with my timetable this semester. There's a bit of room to move around in on this once, so if I want extra breaks I can shift tutorials around to Monday afternoon or move a few classes to Friday to ease up space everywhere else. :D I'll probably end up moving my bio tut and lab to Friday's like I did last semester. :)

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
CHEM2401 next sem is going to be a BITCH.

3 8am lectures
lulz set to maximum

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
neb i don't know how you got one @ 8am and another at 12.

Here is the new timetable for CHEM2401 lectures:

Part LEC Lecture
Each student enrolled goes to one of the following 2 classes. Class allocations are preserved on 09/03/08.
8AM Mon 08:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1], Tue 08:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1], Thu 08:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1]
NOON Mon 12:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1], Thu 12:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1] and
Tue 12:00 [1 to 13 of sess 1]

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
tennille said:
I think they usually repeat the lectures at 12 too.
yeah lol I can't get into the other class because of clashes,

lame

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh poo, jb_nc is gonna be in chem2401. It'll destroy his online image of teh lulz!

jb_nc said:
neb i don't know how you got one @ 8am and another at 12.
I opted to put it there. English only goes at 12 so I'll do the Monday one at 8am. Just like I did last semester with 2402. The 12pm lectures are repeats of the 8am lectures, so you just pick one each day. :)

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
im da seedy pervert in ur chem lectures

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
on a sidenote are you going to complete CHEM2403 for your Chem major?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No, because the timetable looks very Intermediate Chemistryish (ie: big workload) and I want as little of that as possible.

But on the other hand, I understand that Dr. Rutledge takes it for like, 6 weeks, which is a big bonus. Plus the subjects material looks heavenly. Plus it's probably beneficial to take it soon, so when I do CHEM3110 (biochem), I don't lag behind.

So, looking at my degree planner, I'll probably do it if I decide to spend another half year at uni, doing courses in that half a year instead of overloading for three semesters. If I do that, then I'll probably move something around in one of these arts heavy semesters and shove 2403 in there, because it really does look like an orgasmic course, and that way I'll be ahead in CHEM3110.

You?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Idk, I'm enrolled in only the BE and am going to transfer to the BSc next year (allowed under science/engo resolutions) as long as I don't fail as class and complete 48 CPs of CHEM (then back to engineering). I'm still waiting on an e-mail from the 2nd year ChE coordinator to see if it's fine.

I'm not sure whether just to do Senior Chem units or finish off CHEM2403 if it's "necessary" in any way.

I have an interest in ______________ (not sure) so I dunno if I should.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Third year chemistry sounds more interesting to me anyway. Some of those organic units look awesome.

I'm only planning on doing four senior chem subjects (rest look shit or too hard), so mebbe I should do another intermediate to be safe?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
I'm interested in about six (3/3) senior chem units.

You only need 24 for a major but I may do more cause chem is fun, lol.

CHEM2403 is a core part of ChemE so I might do 3 senior/and the intermediate elective a semester. Tbh that environmental chem unit interests me as much as a hole in the head. Pharmaceutical manufacture >>> that stuff.

It does say in the senior chem handbook, "Students who have not already completed the unit CHEM2403 are encouraged to enrol, if their degree structure allows it"

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, "encouraged". :p

I'm definately an organic type person, so I'm interested in (from this point onward)

CHEM3110, S1, Biomolecules: Properties and Reactions
CHEM3111, S1, Organic Structure & Reactivity
CHEM3113, S1, Catalysis and Sustainable Processes
CHEM3115, S2, Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry
CHEM2403, that biological one.

CHEM3117 (quantum one) looks too hard, CHEM3116 (membranes) looks boring as hell, I've been soured on the whole prospect of transition metals thanks to CHEM2402 so CHEM3114 (metal complexes) looks like shit to me, and the materials chemistry one (CHEM3112) looks hard and boring. So yeh.

EDIT: Actually, I'm reading the guidebook atm and the membrane one doesn't look too shabby. Maybe I'll PM a few of our chemistry peoples on here and ask them for advice, iuno.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
lol I was interested in CHEM3116 and 3112 also w/ the ones you listed.

lol

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
CHEM3112: symmetry, diffraction, crystals, networks = GH3Y!

Stazi said:
lol im not interested in any of those.
Eh? Look at the excitement offered in CHEM3115, Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry. You get to learn about drugs and organic chem! lol, one of the bullet points is "what makes a good drug?'

We were told on senior chem info day lat year that those titles are all very misleading, and that you should ignore them and instead focus on the dot points and whatever.

Oi jb_nc, what are you looking to do as your chem lab major component? Inorganic, organic or physical? Organic for sure, for me. :eek:

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
lol im not interested in any of those.
thats cause your gay and study marketing so you'll spend your days thinking of how to hyponitize little children into buying mcdonalds whereas i will be doing cool stuff like flying and making methamphetamine in my clandestine chemist lab

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
oi i borrowed the most awesome book from the medical library the other day. it's called pikhal (look it up on wiki). Tells you how to make drugs using homemade techniques and so on, lol.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
oi i borrowed the most awesome book from the medical library the other day. it's called pikhal (look it up on wiki). Tells you how to make drugs using homemade techniques and so on, lol.
Lol, I've "read" it (don't understand most of the techniques) but TiKHAL is better because he talks about LSD synthesis which is supposed to be really hard to do. The techniques aren't home made, you need a proper chem lab with all the stuff to do it.

I think I'll probably do organic chem lab component depending on how 2nd year goes.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yeah tihkal was out :(

Most of the syntheses don't look terribly hard, if I had the right equipment and whatever. Like this drug which is meant to be incredibly similar to MDA

"The reaction of 2,4-Dimethoxyamphetamine (2,4-DMA) with elemental bromine proceeded directly to the formation of 5-bromo-2,4-dimethoxyamphetamine which was isolated as the hydrobromide salt with a melting point of 204.5C with 67% yield."

lol, it's all available on the web these days anyhows.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)