Official 'Wall of Shame' Thread. (1 Viewer)

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
What beauty products do you advise your fellow BOSers against AT ALL COSTS!?

Personally I'm sick of buying products with a decent rep which I am constantly dissapointed about and left wondering "whyyy didn't someone warn me!?"

Recent purchases that have inspired this thread are:

-Revlon Colorstay Makeup - everything about this product shits me... right down to the American spelling on the package. This stuff is SO thick. It smears on, and looks like it's been smeared on. It's ridiculously unnatural, like stage makeup. It smells strangely paint like. Oh and the bottle... geez it's impossible to get a controlled ammount out of the huge gaping hole of an opening in it. The only way it's bearable is if i mix it in a 1:3 ratio with moisturiser, and as a result its supposed staying power is lost and after a while it looks... dirty.
I mean the coverage is phenomenal, oh yeah you could make a Somalian look Albino with its abominal cake like formula. Oh and it makes me break out and isn't nice to touch. shit shit shit shit shit.

Ok, that's my ran for the moment. More unsatisfactory products to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
^ I actually regularly buy that product, as stage foundation :rofl: It's amount medium thickness in terms of how most stage makeup foundations are, which means it's pretty thick for 'normal' makeup. If you have dark skin though, you could get away with it.

Modelco Heated Eyelash Wand
They say it's good for small eyes/hooded eyelashes? No, no, no. I could never get this to work... a cheapie eyelash curler heated by your hairdryer is so much better.

Last edited:

Lori.

HSC
wow i actually really love the revlon colorstay make up :) I have used it for well over a year now!

The only product I can think of to shun right now would be L'Oreal Plenitude Hydrafresh lotion, dont know the exact name of it, but it comes in this small pink bottle. I stopped using it when it started to burn my skin right off my face!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
OH

Nair Salon Divine® Body Wax - Basically its wax you smear onto your legs and then let it dry a little bit, then peel off quickly to wax. It claims to be cleaner, less messy etc.

FRIKIN WRONG

I have never experienced anything more messier than this product. Expect strings of wax everywhere on your body, massive pain because you might have left the wax a second too much and therefore is now stuck onto your skin and expect an hour wasted on painfully trying to tear the wax off your skin.

No one I know appreciates this product.

Skeeta

HSC
ohmygosh i totally second that UIC, I ended up with purple sticky shit all over my bathroom, that I am still trying to get off!

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I actually really like Colorstay, I've always used its foundation. Everything else (apart from expensive stuff) I find goes really oily. They've changed the bottles recently so that the opening is a fair bit smaller, which is a plus. The eyeliner is great as well, hardly ever smudges.

I really can't think of anything I've absolutely hated right now.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Skeeta said:
ohmygosh i totally second that UIC, I ended up with purple sticky shit all over my bathroom, that I am still trying to get off!
Literally oh my god. How did it get past anyone while getting tested by randoms before releasing the product?

Must've been like, shit we have a shitload of purple candles. Quick, think of a way to get rid of them fast, preferrably profit from it too.

I can't see it being any other sceanrio but this.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Rimmel mascara, the one with the comb.
It is the worst mascara I have ever used. I got it on sale for $5 the other day and used it instead of my Lancome flexicils mascara (which I am trying to conserve...)

My painstakingly surled eyelashes were straightened out into thick, stiff spikes, and it took ages to dry, by which time I had smudged it onto my brow bone.

I doesn't stay, and started running onto my lower lash/cheek after less than 40 minutes, I eventually had to go to the bathroom to take it off. It looked like I had been crying profusely.

Worst mascara ever.

PS I agree with UIC on that shit as all hell self-wax stuff...It's still in my bathtub, 6 months later!

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
usually i buy make up from expensive brands like chanel, CD, EL, YSL so there is no disappontment.
i wasnt happy with dove tanning lotion, the best one i found "garnier bodysummer" it is great.

*hopeful*

HSC
GJV said:
The only product I can think of to shun right now would be L'Oreal Plenitude Hydrafresh lotion, dont know the exact name of it, but it comes in this small pink bottle. I stopped using it when it started to burn my skin right off my face!

:eek: i been using that for a year now with no problems and i've got really sensitive skin

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
OH

Nair Salon Divine® Body Wax - Basically its wax you smear onto your legs and then let it dry a little bit, then peel off quickly to wax. It claims to be cleaner, less messy etc.

FRIKIN WRONG

I have never experienced anything more messier than this product. Expect strings of wax everywhere on your body, massive pain because you might have left the wax a second too much and therefore is now stuck onto your skin and expect an hour wasted on painfully trying to tear the wax off your skin.

No one I know appreciates this product.
That is absolute shit.

It didn't work, went EVERYWHERE and smelt gross :(

I normally love "The Make Up Store" products but their nail polish is horrendously flaky. Don't buy if you want to keep the polish on for more than twelve hours.

HSC
Garnier Quenching moisturising fluid. This shit left my face feeling sticky/ greasy as hell throughout the day, and as if that was not bad enough, it peeled like dead skin (it rolls off). Garnier products are overrated if not downright shit. Their shampoo isn't that great either.

Anything ever made by Nivea drove me insane. Their body moisturisers are oily as hell. Use it if you want to grease your body and roast yourself over a fire.

Vaseline aloe moisturiser, the one that comes in a big pump pack. Smells disgusting.

I only use supermarket brands because I don't ask much from moisturistures but to do their job and moisturise the damn mug. Idiots.

On the other hand, I've found St. Ives moisturising silk and Cetaphil face wash to be good products withing my price range.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Tony and Tina herbal eyeliner.
Bought it because it was natural, but I would prbably be better off lining my eyes with mud because it didnt stay, the colour was transparent, it flaked off the pencil and it was too expensive for the shit it was ($19).

Shame, too, as their lash tint and blotting powder are top rate.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I bought some Oil of Olay 30+ everyday moisturiser thing, and it was shit. It was expensive and, although advertised as "light" it made me look all shiny and icky, just like regular sunscreen.
I found Clean+Clear morning burst moisturiser to be infinitely better, and half the price.

Savvy lipgloss. Smells divine but as soon as your lips touch it clumps up and looks icky. (it was cheap so that might explain it)

Any self-waxing strip I've tried. Forget that. It's my beautician OR the epilator, no DIY wax thankyou. Sticky, still hairy limbs are not good.

Nail polish doesn't last for more than 2 or 3 days on my hands (I chip my nails all the time at work), so it doesn't matter how much I pay for it. A decent top coat keeps the $3 nail polish going as long as it can.

HSC
N/A
^ I can't stand Savvy lipgloss either. Some of my friends love it, but it starts going superbly 'tacky' after about an hour for me, and starts hardening into 'flakes'... eww it's not good.

Scarybunny - you've tried OPI and everything? Another option might be trying that nail tape stuff, I think Avon sells it... apparently it can last up to 2 weeks!! then you just peel it off!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I COMPLETELY AGREE on the nair purple wax - gosh what a big mess, and trying to put it on your skin is annoying because the purple wax keep having threads/strings of wax dripping.

loreal purezone range - horrid on skin, if you have sensitive skin do not use. Its not gentle at all.

nivea gentle eye make up remover - its so shiet that cetphil does a better job at removing make up.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
glitterfairy said:
^ I can't stand Savvy lipgloss either. Some of my friends love it, but it starts going superbly 'tacky' after about an hour for me, and starts hardening into 'flakes'... eww it's not good.

Scarybunny - you've tried OPI and everything? Another option might be trying that nail tape stuff, I think Avon sells it... apparently it can last up to 2 weeks!! then you just peel it off!

The short lifespan of my painted nails is the direct result of me volunteering to do wash at work. A few hours with my hands in the water + scrubbing things = soft nails and polish that chips very easily.

Doesn't really bother me. I get tired of nail polish after a few days and want to paint them another colour anyway. Plus, my nailpolish must be PERFECT, so I often don't even have the patience to paint them. I always bump a finger and have to start again.

Skeeta

HSC
Avon liquid concealer is totally shit. Their products are usually fairly good, but this concealer separated after a week, and kind of melted into one sloppy mess :(

I had to throw it out. Terrible.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
NAIR IS SO SHIT! It will hurt pulling it off, won't even get all the hair, makes so much mess OMG one of the worst products ever!

Dove Summer Glow is also pretty bad.
Anything by australis is bad as well- I don't buy it but used to get it alot as gifts- HORRIBLE makes me break out in rashes - plus it looks pretty shite too.

I am sure there's more but its too late to think straight tonight. Might add more later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)