oh my gosh can't even deal with drama essays (1 Viewer)

paige_67

HSC
Hi guys.
So, as my second piece of assessed work for HSC drama we have to write an essay. Seems pretty simple right? Not really. I have no idea how to write a drama essay and neither do the others in my class. She is making us write a draft for homework and I've spent the time since school ended for the day crying because I have no idea and I'm super stressed.
The way she is teaching it makes no sense and it's just so confusing.
We've done drama essays before in preliminary drama and i've not done well at all.
I would really really appreciate some help and tips with this as it is doing my head in. (really wish i had dropped it, the theory just makes me want to crawl into a hole and not come out again, even though i do really well in the practical side of things )
thankyou!! :(:(:(:(:(:mad3::mad3::mad2:

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Drama essays really are the worst.
But for the essays, just make sure you use relevant evidence from the drama or theatre. This includes workshop experiences (In class, we experimented with ___________. This helped me / the audience understand _______________________), or a performance you've seen, or an imagined production of the performance, or of course, citation from the text (if you're studying a text for drama).

Then in your essays, ensure that you focus on the drama and theatre of what you're studying. i.e. what how things in your text / acting style can be used to engage an audience, and in what ways the audience is made to reflect or feel. You should demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between director, scriptwriter, actor and the audience.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
and don't be afraid to use a personal voice, with simple yet evocative words

tyzzefloro

HSC
What elkedag stated > i just did the HSC, don't forget the utilisation and manipulation of the elements of drama within your essay. eg. character, role, status, conflict, dramatic tension, focus, place, language etc. Grab the elements and say how they are manipulated within a certain moment within the plays that you study. For the HSC I essentially used "in my school production of the play" like a billion times, its acceptable. If you want to add more veracity to your argument read some reviews of the plays staged in real life and add them into your essay if you find anything.Essentially drama essays are much easier than english ones. Is the core still Australian contemporary Drama??> If so the questions in the past have always been linked to social issue/ staging (WHICH INCLUDES ANYTHING DONE ON STAGE NOT JUST BLOCKING AND SET). If you have more questions i'm always here, legit im bored to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)