old fashioned weight loss experiment (1 Viewer)

perfume!

HSC
I’ve been wanting to lose weight for ages now and im gonna finally take action.

I was reading about losing weight in some of these threads and there are so many tricks of the trade.

I have decided I am very strictly going to attempt to lose weight the old-fashioned way…
exercise and healthy eating.

im going to post my progress and have a weigh in once a week.
I am hoping to lose about 5 kgs these holidays.

I don’t really care if no one reads this thread- I just feel more accountable cause its posted up here.

perfume!

HSC
secret said:
Thats it, first step to success is to take action -you just did that.

*secret puts thread on subscriptions* Don't let us or yourself down girl, seriously.

I used this exact message to fuel my determination to loose weight and tacked it everywhere I looked, folders, wall, computer screensaver, on the fridge. everywhere.

"Don't let yourself down, no matter how hard it gets."

Don't know if it will help you, but it's good to share thoughts.

I feel like this is different to all the other times.
Thankyou for your encouragement.
i know that it will be hard; but i wont give up.

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
perfume! said:

I feel like this is different to all the other times.
Thankyou for your encouragement.
i know that it will be hard; but i wont give up.

good on you perfume for doing something ... may i ask if this does work for you can i crack into it too !!!!! :]

hYperTrOphY

HSC
perfume! said:
I’ve been wanting to lose weight for ages now and im gonna finally take action.

I was reading about losing weight in some of these threads and there are so many tricks of the trade.

I have decided I am very strictly going to attempt to lose weight the old-fashioned way…
exercise and healthy eating.

im going to post my progress and have a weigh in once a week.
I am hoping to lose about 5 kgs these holidays.

I don’t really care if no one reads this thread- I just feel more accountable cause its posted up here.
Before you begin, why don't you post up the diet and exercise regime you plan to use for critique?

Skeeta

HSC
i'm gonna start exercising. On tuesday.

I have a treadmill and a home gym but i never use it. I'm not planning on losing weight, just kinda making all the jiggly bits a bit firmer :eek:

perfume!

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Before you begin, why don't you post up the diet and exercise regime you plan to use for critique?
Well the basic outline I had planned was this:

* 1 hour walking in the morning (7am)
(drink 600mL water)
not sure whether to have breakfast before or after?

* breakfast: an apple, weetbix with low fat milk and a glass of water
* lunch: whatever salad I can find in the fridge (chicken breast, lettuce, beetroot etc)
another hour walk

* dinner not sure- but will make it as healthy as possible.

then nothing after dinner but water.

perfume!

HSC
vogue said:
good on you perfume for doing something ... may i ask if this does work for you can i crack into it too !!!!! :]
yes deinfately.
i hope it works... it is going to be so hard cause i love my chocoloate and pizza.
lol

and that is great skeeta :) hope your routine works out

HSC
dude, not to be critical, but i think if you're gonna be walking for two hours a day + normal activity, you're gonna need to eat more than that or your body's gonna freak out and slow down your metabolism to try and hold onto everything you eat.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i agree its a bit full on to start with.

You'll need to eat well (to get all that energy to do all that walking!)
I think it'd be easier to stick to walking maybe once a day, because two hours of exercise a day is a huge commitment

but good luck :)

perfume!

HSC
katietheskatie said:
dude, not to be critical, but i think if you're gonna be walking for two hours a day + normal activity, you're gonna need to eat more than that or your body's gonna freak out and slow down your metabolism to try and hold onto everything you eat.
so should i eat 4 weekbix instead of two? and two apples instead of one etc...
or eat more regularly?
and its good to be critical- i need it.
thank you.

and to ameh- the reason i want to is cause it is something on my mind every day and i think i will be more confident and happy in myself if i lost this weight. it means alot to me- my sister (this is no stab at her at all to make her look bad or whatever- she is nice) is really beautiful and dead skinny- and i am just huge compared to her...so i'll be more happier.
dont worry im not going to go annorexic or anything- i'll do it a healthy way:)

Skeeta

HSC
i vote for two weetbix plus a yoghurt and fruit salad for brekkie

and try snacking on things such as dried fruit, and almonds (vs. chips and lollies) coz you will still get cravings throughout the day

hYperTrOphY

HSC
* 1 hour walking in the morning (7am)
(drink 600mL water)
not sure whether to have breakfast before or after?
My advice is to eat before you exercise. However, you have to wait 60-90mins after you eat until you should exercise. Most people on this board will disagree. They will contend that by not eating prior to exercising, you will have no carbs in your 'system' and will thus burn fat instead. This is incorrect. You will have no glucose, but you will have glycogen (stored carbohydrates). Glycogen exists in your liver and your muscles. You don't want to be burning muscle glycogen as this has a catabolic effect = you lose muscle mass.

* breakfast: an apple, weetbix with low fat milk and a glass of water
Not bad. You need a protein source though. Egg whites, protein shake etc.

* lunch: whatever salad I can find in the fridge (chicken breast, lettuce, beetroot etc)
Chicken breast and salad is a good meal.

* dinner not sure- but will make it as healthy as possible.
Do you have any idea what it would be?

then nothing after dinner but water.
Here is where I come to another disagreement with popular opinion. I do not see the benefit of not eating late at night. Whilst my goals do not involve losing weight, they definitely do not involve gaining fat, and I eat my final meal literally in bed before I sleep. I acknowledge that some carbohydrates should not be consumed late at night, particularly high glycemic carbs due to your insulin sensitivity levels at night, but cannot see the benefit of starving yourself for approx 12 hours! Sounds like a great way to slow your metabolism. Instead, I would be consuming a casein protein (cottage cheese, for example), green leafy vegetables and some good fats (e.g. flaxseed oil).

More generally, I don't think you are eating enough meals. You should really be eating a minimum of 5 meals p/day.
Further, I would register at www.fitday.com and enter in the foods you plan to eat and post your proposed calorie intake and macronutrient (protein, carbs, fats) ratio (this will be provided for you in a pie graph).

Either way, goodluck.

Last edited:

perfume!

HSC
wow.
you all are so incredibly supportive.
i am so excited now.

thankyou for the advice hypertrophy...
i've taken ur advice on bored:)p)...
i will eat before i exercise and try to dig up a protein source for my breakfast.
skeeta- thank you for your advice too- i shall consume some yoghurt at breakfast too.

night guys thank you for everything.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Drink cold water in the mornings and get as much Omega 3 into your diet to improve your metabolism.

Yoghurt and wholemeal grains keep you full, for longer and prevents snacking.

Try to exercise atleast an hour everyday; brisk walking should be enough.

Get as much fruit into your diet, in the form of juice, salads whatever.

Don't eat any fast-food/junk food - limit intake.

Think positive, don't expect instant results and stick to a healthy BMI.

And make this healthy diet-mindset long term by separating your meals from 3 to 5 per day.

This should work over the long run :) Good luck!

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
katietheskatie said:
really?

hmm i think that if you're just walking 2+ hours isn't excessive
its not likeits high intensity
but just try to do things the longer way if it means you move more.
more muscle = higher metabolism = good

also, i don't know about anyone else but i think keeping track of your calorie intake is helpful.

i also need to shift a fuckload. gonna start jujitzu (sp?). guy reckons he can take 10kgs off anyone
ive put on a kilo in the last week i swear. i hate holidays. have to try to stay busy :\

but yeah. good luck!!

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
AMEH!!!
that is awesome advice!
how helpful are you.
:uhhuh:
you should be like a dietician!

HSC
melimoo said:
really?

hmm i think that if you're just walking 2+ hours isn't excessive
its not likeits high intensity
but just try to do things the longer way if it means you move more.
more muscle = higher metabolism = good
nah, well two hours of walking isn't that excessive or anything .. but like, if you're gonna do it, eating cereal, some salad and then whatever for dinner probably isn't enough in the way of calories/nutrients/all that shit, especially for a teenager.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)