old fashioned weight loss experiment (1 Viewer)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Dude, I'm not talking about you suggesting "a little protein in the morning" I'm talking about you suggesting protein shakes.

But I agree that you should at least have an approximate idea of the shit that you are consuming. Even if it's just in your head.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Egronk said:
Dude, I'm not talking about you suggesting "a little protein in the morning" I'm talking about you suggesting protein shakes.

But I agree that you should at least have an approximate idea of the shit that you are consuming. Even if it's just in your head.
Protein shakes are fine! Firstly, we are yet to know how many calories she requires, so I am not going to concede that average protein shake (25g of protein) would be excessive. Secondly, even if that is too much protein, that doesn't mean protein shakes as a source of protein should be avoided. How much protein is in a shake is solely determined by how much powder you put into the shake. So, if she only needs 15g of protein, she will just put 1 scoop instead of 2, for example. In other words, just because the 'recommended serving size' might contain 25-30g of protein, doesn't mean that's how much you have to have per serving.

Alternatively, I think I recommended egg whites.

HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
It is important to at least know how many calories you should be eating to lose weight, and constructing a flexible diet that meets that number. It doesn't mean one needs to count their calories everyday and ensure they meet this number with exact precision. For me, it just seems stupid to follow a diet that is nothing more than a guess of what you should be consuming.
That's why I said this :p

glitterfairy said:
Yes calorie counting can be beneficial, but massive "how many calories did you eat today? How percentage was protein?" etc etc can be too much for a lot of people. In fact, I know a couple of people who have developed an ED or borderline ED (which is still very not good and very scary) through obsessing so much about things like this.
I'm actually not a big calorie counter myself. I am aware that eating "good" food isn't equivalent to avoiding bad eating habits however I feel a lot more comfortable eating a "good" healthy meal (and stopping when I am full) than to eat a calorie-controlled meal that is processed/has additives/less vitamins etc. I'm roughly aware of kilojoule count (ie lasagne has more than a salad does) but past that, I don't worry too much because I choose not to. Bigger concerns for me are whether I'm eating vegetables (at all), making sure I exercise (at all), not overeating (preferably none at all :p) etc (so essentially, a lifestyle change rather than more specific eating/exercising breakdown).

But hey - this is what works for me. It's not to say it's the best way, or the only way, it's just the way I do it. Let's just agree that there are different approaches to weightloss and that different things will work for different people, ok? :)

rhia

salty
HSC
to the original poster: i think it would be very valuable for you to see a dietitian, as although some advice posted here may be good, there's a lot of variation, and none of the posters to my knowledge are actually qualified dietitians. a dietitian can discuss personal meal plans with you and remove doubt, worry & concern over what is good for you to eat. personally, i am also concerned because this is exactly how eating disorders begin. so, off to the dietitian with you!

froggy_chik87

HSC
i wouldn't say she is going to develop an eating disorder, just because she is asking others advice on how to loose weight.

I too started a diet last week, a day or two before this one, and i have already lost 3 kgs! I haven't done anything extreme just watching what i am eating, substituting microwavable food for a healthy salad, but adding yummy ingrediants.
Having some sort of idea what i am going to cook for dinner, rather than getting hungry and eating junk.

Also water is extremely important, you must be hydrated when wanting to loose weight. I know of some people who have gained a slight bit of weight when they start rehydrating themselves, but quickly loose it. The way i have been doing it is have a glass of water when i wake up in the morning, wait about 20 minutes, have breakfast with another glass of water. Then next time i feel as though i'm getting hungy i drink two glasses of water and wait another 15 minutes, if i still feel hungry i'll eat. I do this with all meals. Therefore that means i'm having about 10 glasses of water a day, which is what i need for my particular body!

Obviously each for their own...but my diet is definatly working for me!

Skeeta

HSC
oh god i've tried drinking more water because i seriously am worried i'm gonna get kidney stones or something. I used to only drink a glass of water at each meal and MAYBE finish off a water bottle (600 mL ??) during the day..

i really struggle to drink water, and i've tried juice, weak cordial.. everything

but yeah im keeping a bottle of water in my car, so i can drink and drive (at traffic etc)
and TRYING to drink 2 glasses at eat meal, and another each time i eat

i've peed like a billion times a day though :(

arrested development
HSC
don't even worry about the number on the scales; it's arbitrary. there are so many factors that can influence that number, and it would drive anyone mad trying to keep tabs on it when it's natural for everyone's weight to fluctuate (especially for females, depending on the time of the month).

i'd advise anyone who's wanting to slim down to try and just focus on minimising their measurments. don't get excited if you've lost 3kgs in the first week of dieting, because that's normal due to the water weight that most people lose when starting weightloss diets. it probably will not happen again. and of course you'll weigh more on the scales if you up your water intake, as the body is re-hydrating and retaining fluids!

arrested development
HSC
Skeeta said:
oh god i've tried drinking more water because i seriously am worried i'm gonna get kidney stones or something. I used to only drink a glass of water at each meal and MAYBE finish off a water bottle (600 mL ??) during the day..

i really struggle to drink water, and i've tried juice, weak cordial.. everything

but yeah im keeping a bottle of water in my car, so i can drink and drive (at traffic etc)
and TRYING to drink 2 glasses at eat meal, and another each time i eat

i've peed like a billion times a day though :(
i'm the same! i refuse to believe that i'm supposed to drink 2 litres of water a day. it'd just make me ill. i think that because i'm small i don't actually need that much anyway.

i only drink about a litre a day but i'm alwaaayyyysss going to the loo. i have the weakest bladder ever. ;__ ;

froggy_chik87

HSC
im aware of not to always judge be scales, but, obviously i have been using it my whole life and know what i should look like and what weight i should theoretically be...since i haven't grown any taller, or at least not much since i gained this extra weight, which was at the beggining of year 12...

froggy_chik87

HSC
Skeeta said:
i'm with you here. I fail to believe that my 85 kilo boyfriend, and myself.. who is like.. half his weight (plus a few kilo's) need the same amount of water a day

but the other day i forgot to flush the loo and my dad flipped it saying that the wee was too yellow and whoever it was is gonna get kidney stones and die and what colour your wee should be (like water apparently) and bla bla bla

he scared me :eek:
if it was in the morning your pee is always going to be more concentrated than it is in the afternoon/night.

arrested development
HSC
Skeeta said:
i'm with you here. I fail to believe that my 85 kilo boyfriend, and myself.. who is like.. half his weight (plus a few kilo's) need the same amount of water a day

but the other day i forgot to flush the loo and my dad flipped it saying that the wee was too yellow and whoever it was is gonna get kidney stones and die and what colour your wee should be (like water apparently) and bla bla bla

he scared me :eek:
ahahahaha oh my god. my dad used to like, inspect my pee when i was little and tell me it was the wrong colour too. ;__ ;

i didn't even know that meant you could get kidney stones.
i'm going to be all paranoid when my kidneys hurt now. :-\

i don't even know where my kidneys are... :s

Skeeta

HSC
i dunno they're like.. inside somewhere. I imagine that they are like inbetween your waist and your hips... But they're in the back apparently? :confused:

I dont think you know you have kidney stones until they come out, and its like giving birth to a marble out of your pee-hole

I think me not drinking water has stemmed from me being a tightarse when i was younger (my $5 /hour at maccas had to last!) and i didnt like to pay for something i could get for free out of a tap

But yeah.. i'm like the water police this week.

arrested development
HSC
Skeeta said:
I dont think you know you have kidney stones until they come out, and its like giving birth to a marble out of your pee-hole
:eek: wahhhhhhh ouchies!

*drinks water*

HSC
N/A
lol I used to go to a naturopath - apparently if you're a shortie you should still be drinking 3-4 glasses of water a day, so if you're drinking that, you should be fine :D

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Can I just step in and say something...

Yes calorie counting can be beneficial, but massive "how many calories did you eat today? How percentage was protein?" etc etc can be too much for a lot of people. In fact, I know a couple of people who have developed an ED or borderline ED (which is still very not good and very scary) through obsessing so much about things like this.

If you are interested in long-term weightloss, then I suggest this - whatever changes you make, make sure they are ones that you will commit to for the rest of your life. If this means that you go in baby steps and work on one small improvement at a time (such as "I am going to integrate regular exercise of ANY intensity into my routine" or "I am going to eat less junk food and more unprocessed foods" or even "I am going to cut down on chocolate"), then please do so!!!

It is no crime to realise that you are human and do not have the willpower to undergo a major "transformation". The best eat healthy/tone up method is the one that works for you, not other people! :) This isn't to discount everyone else's methods and suggestions, but please - I would hate to see anyone do damage to their bodies or self-esteem just because they've rushed into something that either wasn't right for them, or something they weren't ready for at this particular point in time.

yeh i agree... baby steps! ur 'true weight' should come eventually... rather than obsessing about it going away quickly. I have a friend with an ED. It's not pretty. She needs some Dr Phili'n

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
glitterfairy said:
lol I used to go to a naturopath - apparently if you're a shortie you should still be drinking 3-4 glasses of water a day, so if you're drinking that, you should be fine :D
whats a naturopath? can they make u taller? lol. i wanna be taller
(not that im not proud of my height lol ... i just wanna level out)

froggy_chik87

HSC
pb said:
whats a naturopath? can they make u taller? lol. i wanna be taller
(not that im not proud of my height lol ... i just wanna level out)
HAHA, a naturopath is kind of like a doctor, except they don't use medication, they use herbal medicines to treat you, but they are can do other stuff such as acupuncture etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)