old teachers vs young teachers (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
so, old teachers vs young teachers? what do you prefer?

I know heaps of people prefer old teachers coz they are more experienced.

morganjane

HSC
i agree with that, but then again some of the older teachers at our school are a bit odd.
but i have to say more experienced teachers are good to have in the final year of school- they're taught hsc students for a while now and know where you can maxamise marks.
But the younger teachers are more fun to have classes with, like my math teacher- he's awesome. you know you can have a laugh in that class and not be frantic about having a five minute break for a chuckle with your friends.
Whether as my music teacher is a year away from retirement, we're her last year of teaching and shes a little odd at times, gotta keep working for yourself in that class; hard to be motivated.

but its neither here nor there, if they teach you what you need, to the point where you're achieving the best you can- its all good.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
I do prefer most of the old teachers, but some of the older teachers at my school can be just a tad boring, especially History and Geography.

The younger teachers, well, I find that I get along with them better as they more friendly, can take the occasional joke and seem to relate to us better because of the smaller age gap.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
TearsOfFire said:
I do prefer most of the old teachers, but some of the older teachers at my school can be just a tad boring, especially History and Geography.

The younger teachers, well, I find that I get along with them better as they more friendly, can take the occasional joke and seem to relate to us better because of the smaller age gap.
thats true. Old teachers are boring and are a tad bit stricter

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Generally, older teachers. They have experience and can explain things more indepth.

However, the really old teachers can get quite boring.

JonnoisBored

HSC
sometimes old teachers are burnt out after many years of repetitive teaching and do not give a crap about how well the students are doing (although some are the polar opposite). My Legal Studies teacher is the best teacher ive ever had, and this is his first HSC class he has ever tought. He would go wayyyyy out of his way to support his students.

Muz4PM

HSC
Most of my teachers are old, "experienced" to put it politely. I don't think you can substitute their experience when it comes to both teaching the course and teaching in general.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I prefer Indian teachers. Once you get around the accent, they actually know what they're talking about. I mean they know more than they teach, so they don't get stuck on relatively simple questions.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I much prefer older teachers, they have more experience and knows what works, and how to get you the marks.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
it all depends imo. most older teachers have their forumlae which work 99% of the time, and they teach in a way that you don't feel like you're learning, yet comes test time, you know all your stuff already.

yet i had this relatively young teacher at my school, her ways were as good as any. i don't think it is about how much the teacher knows, it is about how they go about "telling" you that stuff. as far as i know, every teacher in the school knows their stuff back to front, but not everyone knows how to translate that into understandable concepts. hence, you have your "good" and "bad" teachers.

Cerry

HSC
It really depends. We had one teacher who retired at the end of last year, who had taught parents of people in our class, and everyone was like "Oh, she's a great teacher!" Get a new teacher this year, and discover that old teacher is basically still teaching to the old-style syllabus, hence the fact that we're all totally lost when new teacher starts talking about certain things.
The old one was just so set in her ways that she refused to change, and it was dragging her students down. Her replacement is mid- to late-thirties, and she's a brilliant teacher. Sure, she doesn't have the same experience, but she hasn't become stuck in outdated ways. She also understands the students better, because there's not such a huge age gap (and she's got a daughter in year 8, which helps), so she's much more aware of ways of teaching that are likely to connect with us.

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
sam04u said:
I prefer Indian teachers. Once you get around the accent, they actually know what they're talking about. I mean they know more than they teach, so they don't get stuck on relatively simple questions.
I'm sorry Sam, but I have to disagree with you on that. Indian teachers from my experience dwell on a single simple point and must be yanked off to get them back on task.

For example: Indian teacher was explaining the theory behind Pythagoras Theorem in Year 12! He took an entire 80 minute lesson teaching it to us (I'm a 3 unit student).

Same teacher was teaching us MATRIX mathematics while we were in English!

(he's a substitute)

HSC
Most of my teachers have a sense of humour whether they are old or young, and they're all experienced.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
English - Older and lady-like female strongly recommended. (My English teacher met the criteria)
Maths - No preference.
IPT - Preferably younger.
Physics - Preferably older, as scientists are much more likely to be vintage mature with scientific knowledge and experience. (Teacher met criteria)
Chemistry - Same as above. (Teacher met criteria)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have got two favourite teachers. One is only in his mid-20s and the other is in his high-50s. As you can see, that's a massive contrast.

However, I "rate" teachers on the following qualities:

• Teaching method
  • Personality
  • Ability to "connect" with students
  • Improvements in students
  • Ability to control the class
  • Teachers' experiences and knowledge.
Both my favourite teachers perfectly excel in those qualities. My young teacher was highly knowledgable despite his lack of experience and he was absolutely adept at controlling the class. Due to his young age, he was like a friend to us. Some people (really close to that teacher) called him by his name but that didn't mean disrespect and we all knew that. He was extremely humourous as well. There were times when he got off the topics but in the end he got into topic superbly and applied the textbook contents to our real world.

Since he knew us really well and our situations, he tended to give homework that could take us more than 30 minutes to do. However, he DID want us to do extra studies whenever we could spare our time to do so. By the way, that teacher eventually became many students' favourite teacher. Everyone talked to him everywhere he went and all the retards at our school started putting effort into the subject. In the end, my class topped the year and my result went from top 10 to top in the year in Commerce.

It is extremely unfortunate that I couldn't get him this year. Some people tried to get him this year by choosing the subject he teaches (i.e. Economics). But they ended up getting the most horrible teacher ever. I feel extremely sorry for those guys.

Ah, yeah. My other favourite teacher is basically same.

HSC
for one of my subjects the young teacher is infinitely better than the older teacher that the other class have. they're a month behind us because they keep covering stuff that is no longer in the syllabus, lol. she's so mean to our teacher, kids in our class asked if he would take the class if we ended up merging, and her reply was 'over my dead body', lol. and she's not one to joke.

i have an old teacher that always tells stories (over and over again, early dementia onset imo), but we miraculously cover the syllabus anyway... so it's alright.

but for another subject, the teacher of the other class (who is old) is better than ours (who is young) but only because he knows EVERYTHING about the subject.

so i don't think you can find a conclusive answer, it varies from teacher to teacher.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
sam04u said:
Except when teaching english.:uhhuh:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Except when teaching english.:uhhuh:
Nope. The teacher I have for Extension 1 English tutoring is Indian and has a lot of experience and credentials. Most people in India speak fluent English as well, due to the whole 'Jewel in the British Empire' thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)