• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Olympia Milk Bar Stanmore (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
i can't believe this doesn't have a thread yet, i am obsessed with this place.

who has their own story to tell about this place?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
what is it?

johony

HSC
i've passed it many times but haven't had the chance to walk in
theres a thread on inthemix about this

philphie

Banned
HSC
basically it opened up in the 50s by post wwII greek immigrants and the inside hasn't changed since. it still has all the original posters from the 50s, furniture, machinery, and chocolate boxes, the place is literally a time warp into the 50s. it use to be the main food vendor for the stanmore cinema which was next door, but now it's a bunch of apartments so since it closed business has droooopped. the outside looks like it's falling apart and the inside is dirty and dark as hell. it has had the same owner since it opened (well the brother of the owner took over after he died), it is open literally all hours, and if you walked by at night you wouldn't think it was closed, you'd think it was abandoned because the doors are open but no lights are on inside. when you go in you'll probably see no one, but then the owner just pops out of nowhere behind the counter. if you ask him for something, no matter what it is the only answer you'll get is "i'm out of stock, come back in 3 months and i'll have it" but he NEVER restocks, he has a wall filled with empty chocolate boxes so you think the place is loaded, sometimes you might be lucky enough to get something, but it'll be a couple of years overdue. the owner basically hates anyone going in yet he persists on keeping the place open. the front window is broken and all he did was board it up. upstairs is a barber shop so whenever i think of the place i think of sweeney todd upstairs, and mrs lovetts meat pies down stairs.

some people think the guy runs some kind of Dexter torture thing behind the store, others think he is a vampire, the fact is he never ages.

most people are confused by why he keeps the place open. herarely has any customers, he isn't aking any money, and he makes no effort to keep the place looking acceptable.

my most recent experience with this place was around 1030pm after i had a night out in Newtown and so i decided to drop by. for some reason it was closed (i use to walk by at 1am and it was still open) but trhe lights were on inside which was really weird, and i saw him brushing his teeth through the reflection of the mirror he was in front of (so that debunks the vampire myth). i tried to get in but the door was locked and he was just death staring me through the mirror and i was dead still for like 5 minutes until i heard ANOTHER ambulance go down parra road which had me back to normal.

the way i'm telling it now is probably shit because i've told this story so many times and i get tired but if you ever see the place you know there's some real supernatural shit going on in there.

my theory is he's probably a good guy scaring people off because the store is possessed or something.
the state of the place i guess is pretty typical though because these post wwii migrants tend to be quite loaded and generally they like to own whole entire streets by purchasing all the properties but they never bother to spend money on fixing them up.

so that's my version of the tale.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i've passed it many times but haven't had the chance to walk in
theres a thread on inthemix about this
yeah i've seen it, there's also a video on youtube of the inside, the only one ever, amazing accomplishment

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
so its basically an old, haunted, derelict shop?

yeah i think ill pass :cold:

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
so its basically an old, haunted, derelict shop?

yeah i think ill pass :cold:
haha trust me it is awesome!!! especially if you're wasted. nowadays if i ever pass by i just go in to test his temper.

at the end of the day he's just an old geezer who hates everybody.

but i'm guessing i'm accustomed to these kind of places since i live in an old medical surgery centre, about a 3 minute walk from a cemetery

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
yeah that place is fucked up. even on the most sunny days its really dark inside. somehow i never noticed it until about 1 year ago, even though i've gone passed it a gazillion tiems before

had no idea about the out of stock thing, i've never been inside. but heaps of times i've seen two guys sitting out the front on some little table

and yeah, i've seen it open at like 4am before

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
ha someones even written some stuff on wikipedia

thanks for the yt link btw. Also, the doors are NEVER completely open

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)